911 with crusty sills

1. NedHan79 New Member

I bought a 911(996) last year. I had serious back problems and couldn’t get under it when buying it so I took a chance. It was waxoiled so that should have been a red flag. It’s mot time and it needs brake pipes which requires at least the gearbox out. I thought I’d clean the waxoil off and get a proper look and sort anything that needs doing. One thing leads to another and I’ve half the car stripped, bumpers, wings, bonnet and skirts.

As most of you know, skirts are a curse for rusty sills.
    I’ve cut the bottom half from one side and I plan to make it. When this was removed I could see the state of the inner sill. Both ends are rotten in the arches and I’ll sort that too. I’ve never done this before but I’m handy with a mig(mostly heavier stuff).

I have some templates made so ready to cut out so im ready to start welding. I won’t be using new genuine parts as the outer sills are in 2 parts, the rear part being the quarter panel.

I’m open to any and all tips.

• F1ED0327-97BF-4D41-9799-7B283CC2650E.jpeg
    • 879986CE-5209-449F-9D04-4070223DC636.jpeg
    • CD353FA1-1846-4A41-8FB6-0F077EFFFDE1.jpeg
    Exuptoy and ronan like this.
  2. NedHan79 New Member

More pictures with a previous poor repair

• B3055E06-7E2F-4A62-AC9F-462FC365A267.jpeg
    • 9B35F3A5-D67B-4E63-831C-7C28598295AC.jpeg
  3. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Wow, thats rotten as a pear. Didn't think Porsches were that bad for rot.

NedHan79 likes this.
  4. NedHan79 New Member

It’s not as bad as it looks as it’s all localised to the sill sections. Floor is all very tidy. A lot of 996’s will start to show up with sill problems. I’ve seen a few and they didn’t have skirts.

stuvy and ronan like this.
  5. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Are repair panels available ?

NedHan79 likes this.
  6. NedHan79 New Member

Only genuine full parts so I’m gonna have to make it all. Shouldn’t be too bad as it’s all straight forward. Famous last words

ronan likes this.
  7. CompoSimmonite Member

I seem to remember one of the problems with restoring a rusty 911 was that it needed to go on a jig when replacing sills etc as the slightest error in alignment can be fatal with such a high performance vehicle. It's not the actual sill alignment but rather the car "bending" when the strength of the sills is removed for their replacement
    https://www.tuthillporsche.com/blog/porsche-911-targa-restoration-chassis-jig/

NedHan79 likes this.
  8. NedHan79 New Member

Hi compo. I completely understand that but I don’t have a jig and I’m very tight for space in the garage. Mine is a coupe so the roof should help and I’m not taking the sills out completely so hopefully shouldn’t be too bad.

ronan likes this.
  9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Have a good look where the torsion bars fit

NedHan79 likes this.
  10. ranchero Member

done a few rot boxes i take off the doors and weld a brace across the gap. done complete inner and outer sills this way

11. NedHan79 New Member

As in measure diagonally to see if it’s square?

Just realised what you mean. I thought you were talking about the arb bush points and to measure to see if the chassis was square.
    I now realise you mean the rear suspension. My car is the first of the water cooled cars so the rear suspension is completely different

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    500e likes this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Beat me to it, although with a coupe it might not be so bad? :dontknow: Belt & braces though........:whistle:

NedHan79 likes this.
  13. stuvy

stuvy Member

Your gonna need crossbraces and bracing. An experienced chap wouldn’t ask... Iv been asked for a few years to work for rpm in Tring but they cut too many corners for my liking

Hopefuldave and NedHan79 like this.
  14. NedHan79 New Member

I’m hoping not to go into paint on this. It isn’t a full on restoration. It very possibly will get paint and if it does, most likely a colour change but I don’t want to be making it a necessity. How about a length of box with a leg at each end reaching up into the wheel well and welded in? Or is that just pointless?

15. slim_boy_fat

You mean like a strut brace, only underneath?

Pointless imho - I think the shell will want to a) twist, and/or b) fold up front to back, like a banana.
    I forgot to ask, does your coupe have a sunroof? That'll make things worse..

NedHan79 likes this.
  16. daedalusminos Member

Don't skimp on the bracing, before you start cutting metal, check the door gaps, then jack up, re-check door gaps - if they've changed for the worst you need to adjust jacking.
    When gaps look good, remove door and weld in bracing...you shouldn't need to remove too much trim. Photo is braced GT6 for floorpan and sill replacement. In this instance bracing was 30mm angle iron, but the vehicle was also on a jig.

• IMG_20180930_123837.jpg
    ronan, NedHan79 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. NedHan79 New Member

Yes on the sunroof.
    So what’s the plan? Can I peel the door seals back and weld a brace across and without too much paint damage?

18. NedHan79 New Member

Ahh just got a clearer picture. I already have the car on stands and the lower part of the drivers sill cut out, about 2 inches from the lip. It wasn’t connected in anyway to the lip at the bottom.

19. slim_boy_fat

Remove the door seals, if not completely, at least until you can get them well out of the way of heat/sparks etc.
    Then remove or peel back the carpets, underlay etc until you have clean/bare metal.

Also have a 'fire-watcher' standing by to extinguish anything [even (or especially) underseal] which catches alight. You'll not see because of your helmet and by the time you smell the fire it might be too late. :vsad:

Do you start to sense that this isn't going to be as easy as you first thought......? :(

NedHan79 and daedalusminos like this.
  20. NedHan79 New Member

Sure if it was easy everyone would be doing it.lol.
    That’s a pretty simple task compared to the rest

Advertisements