essex england
    200kg from my rusty memory

scottmk1 and Tinbasherdan like this.
  2. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Wot he sed :D

scottmk1 likes this.
  3. dieselsamurai

dieselsamurai Too many projects not enough time!

I converted a 90s rangerover to a Chevy 6.2 v8 about twice the weight of the ally rover v8, it drove really well hardly noticed the weight but i wouldnt want to off road it that would kill the suspension! got nearly 30mpg on a run too

theres a nutter at our offroading club thats just bought a Detroit 6v-71T from my mate to put in his 110 he must be mad it weighs 950kg!!!! we did warn him

Im tempted to put a 6v-53T in my 80s Chevy pickup as they are an awesome engine the supercharged and turbocharged 2 stroke sounds awesome

Ruffian and Tinbasherdan like this.
  4. Tinbasherdan

I’m running 90 hd rear springs on the front , counters the weight of the Cummins lump pretty well.would love a Detroit in something but as you say the weight is a major issue. Might get a k9 or similar sometime that would be a bit better for that sort of weight

5. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    When I did the calcs a big silly overhanging bumper caused more stress than the cummins

6. dieselsamurai

Cummins a great engine would love one in my truck but would definately miss the v8 sound ! Friend has forklift with a 6v-71t in it and love the 2stroke too but I dont think the neighbors would be impressed everytime i start up the 2stroke...

7. dieselsamurai

Im pretty sure i used 90hd springs too on the Rangie , I thought eventually the chevy v8 would break something in the driveline but the autobox helped, I dont know if a normal landrover manual box would last very long with one.

8. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    My first conversion I used a lt 85 and made a new bell housing
    Lasted ok as the torque pulses from the combustion cycle were not too bad . The 4bt can be nasty as far as that goes

9. dieselsamurai

4bt ok in plant but dont think id want one in a truck, 6 cylinder so much smoother on drive train as you say. I would just worry power band quite narrow and low so will definately loose top end speed . Chevy 6.2 good for 3600 so in a rangie/landrover its ok but im sure the early 6bt's dont like much past 2600-2800. My pickup is military spec so low geared and 65mph is max otherwise it feels like engine is trying to escape but will pull house down, I worked it out and without changing diffs a 6bt will give me 50mph max!!

10. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    You just change the spring in the pump

11. dieselsamurai

Ive seen those springs for sale but pretty sure 3000-3200rpm is going to be pretty much max for short periods unless you start tweaking other things. And economy would go out of the window im sure.

12. Tinbasherdan

ill be using a 3200 spring, and coupled with a 1:1 transfer box and 35" tyres the gearing should be pretty reasonable

13. Tinbasherdan

@pressbrake1 you haven’t an 8” Mach 5 floating around have you?

14. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    No

15. NRS91

NRS91 New Member

35" Tyres, 3.54 diffs and 1.003 LT230 will get you in the ball park of 1800rpm at 70mph... riding the torque wave and cruising for best economy!
    If you get the gearbox and transfer box levelled up and sat in the right place between the chassis rails the engine will be sat where it needs to be and will just need levelling fore and aft.

16. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

All too often overlooked on engine conversions , makes for a horrid , rumbly and harsh driveline that knackers prop sliders and UJ`s.

Bob

17. stuvy

stuvy Member

I got a Mazda slt35 in mine lighter than the Cummins and almost as much power spins the wheels in third

Ton-up and 8ob like this.
  18. Tinbasherdan

around half the torque of a 6bt it seems

19. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Very nice engine :thumbup:

Yep, torque turns wheels and HP impresses people in pubs :laughing:

Bob

Parm and Tinbasherdan like this.
  20. Tinbasherdan

the sl35 is a bonny engine but supposedly hard to get parts for. plus the sound of a straight 6......

Advertisements