Yet another 110, but this time with a cummins

1. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

im hopeless at these things as I forget to take pictures until I'm halfway through a job, but I'll try my best!

So we started with this:

[​IMG]

A k reg 110 station wagon. As much as I do like a good station wagon, I'm going, shall we say, hill billy with it, truck cab pickup and probably a dirty big chrome stack up the back of the cab.

The bulkhead is knacked, but after a bit of searching I managed to find one for reasonable money and in great condition. The main issue was to get it into a state where I can address the previous owner patches, as well as the new holes in the chassis, hence this arrived today:

[​IMG]
    First job will be to blast it and find the full extent of the repairs needed. Fingers crossed!!

• IMG_1201.JPG
    • IMG_1374.JPG
    owas, andy_v, RonA and 3 others like this.
  2. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

How much are bulkheads these days

3. Tinbasherdan

i managed to pick this one up for 180 but i wouldnt bank on finding many more at that price. he has one more he wants 150 for but itll want a small repair or two

4. Mee Banned

Is it worth looking at a new galvanised chassis? look after it and it will last years.

5. Tinbasherdan

It will be when I have the money for one

6. julianf

julianf Member

That 110 looks straight, but it looks like its been somewhere damp for a long time.

Money wise, csw sell for more - I know its not all about cash, and probably not worth the effort of a swap, but a (same condition) truck cab would be less than you could sell what you have for.

7. julianf

julianf Member

As I'm sure you know, if the engine isn't knackered (which I guess it must be if you're changing) you probably have £500 plus there for the 200tdi.

8. Kayos

Kayos Member

9. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

I'll be following this one, do like a good Cummins conversion

10. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I'll be following this too but I have to admit I don't really know what the fascination is with these old Landy's and putting different motors in them and welding the hell out of them :dontknow:
    I do like a man against machine battle though, so I am in. :welder::welder::welder:

steve t and Parm like this.
  11. normspanners Member

northwales
    Detroit 2T I recon :thumbup:

Jim Davey, andy_v and brokenbiker like this.
  12. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

Out of interest, what Cummins do you plan on putting in it?

My father has wanted to do a similar conversion but the cost of a 110 that isn't too far gone for him is usually far too high

13. owas

owas Member

Following along too :thumbup:
    Might want to do the same when(if) the 300tdi dies:whistle:

14. Tinbasherdan

6bt going in this, some use the 4bt but they're noisy, underpowered and cost a fortune if you can find one

brokenbiker likes this.
  15. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Cummins is too refined, got to be a Peterborough built Perkins for me. The rest of the world moves on but it's a 236 going in my project Land rover. They will have probably banned diesels by the time it's finished!

16. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    What about the old 3.5L buick based rover v8 ? I thought they would be a popular choice ?

17. 8ob

8ob Member

V8 gm @Tinbasherdan , you know it makes sense :laughing:

Tinbashers engine is still sat in this ;)

[​IMG]

18. Tinbasherdan

Perkins are nice if you don't mind travelling at 45mph all the time ;) been there done that one

Had one in a disco bobtail, it was fun, it sounded good, but 6mpg was enough to break me of that particular need.

Might go GM v8 D next time , I think one of those would be good in a 90 ;)

19. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

As long as you have 3.54 diffs and the four speed LT95 high ratio transfer gears 45mph is a gentle chugging pootle speed. After all the Perkins are a low speed torque monster, not suited to high rpm work at all. That's why I like them so, and hate TD5's so much, as they only any good with plenty of rpm. But I don't expect anyone else to want a perkins, it just a dogged fascination I have with them, if it works well in tractors, diggers, lorries and a thousand other heavy things it's my kind of engine.

barking mat, steve t, Shox Dr and 2 others like this.
  20. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

You'll be lucky, I struggled to get £300 for mine complete with starter motor, alternator and ac!

indy4x and dan.taylor.1 like this.
Advertisements