2-min
    1-max
    2-max

or

1-min
    2-min
    1-max
    2-max

You can try them or use a voltmeter on DC to see the order.

0-10 is wire speed, adjust for the proper sound as needed. There is a good video on setting teh wire speed in the tutorials on this site.

ENVY SP likes this.
  2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

or
    1-min
    1-max
    2-min
    2-max

ENVY SP likes this.
  3. ENVY SP Member

Yeah
    Yea, i kinda figured it was either 1-min/max,and 2-min/max? Whats confusing is on some "cheaper" welders as ppl like to call em in these forums,the wire speed dial also turns the power up and down?? I may never know if thats true cuz i burned thru some pretty tough sheet metal on 1-min with 0 wire speed? So theyre right when they say the flux core wire burns pretty hot. It was the first test run and being used to the good big machines i was used to slow back an forth c movement? Lil wider for them nice v pattern welds. Alots changed in 15 years!! I got a "ok" lookin rookie bead goin now,but dont have time for c's,or circles,or whatever?? Comes out so fast an hot just got enough time for simple up an down wiggles. An gotta be fast cuz if it hits the flux coat or anything unclean it bounces the wire off for a sec. Im used to bein able to see the pool an kind move it around. This stuff??? Its tough stuff. But i kinda found a angle to look at it an sorta see the pool... tried dialing up while welding ... not too fun. I am gonna look at that video,so thanks. May take a lil more practice but i think ill have it down soon,switches and dials be damneded.

4. Jan

Jan Member

Of the two 'main' controls one is for course and the other is the fine setting(s). This only relates to the voltage/current output. The 1-10 rotary dial will give an 'extra fine' control while being mainly for the wire feed rate. I would guess that the min/max is the course control and the 1/2 being for finer control. Unfortunately only 4 settings for a 130 (?) amp welder isn't a lot of ... control. You could be struggling with thin car body gauges of metal. Again 5mm is really at the top end of the capability of such a machine and only attention to detail will result in acceptable welds on such thick material.

I would keep the 0.6mm wire for the two lower settings on thin metal and the 0.8mm for thicker sheets and only on the higher/highest settings for 4-5mm. Only practicing with the wire feed speed - 1 to 10 - will let you see how it goes on all thicknesses.

ENVY SP likes this.
  5. ENVY SP Member

Um,Jan? or anyone on the forum out there? Ive been bouncing around different forums and just reading,studying,and watchin videos for a few days. I've come across a few questions concerning my welder? and maybe if I explained my "project plans" maybe someone can cure my nervousness? First,i been reading a lot about switching the polarity on my welder? some say it don't make a difference? others say it does? I guess im a bit of a skeptic on all opinions? but im open to suggestions... So mostly im hearing that gasless flux core welders "like" the gun to be negative polarity instead of positive? true? false? ID like to know. till then it stays how it came from factory. I have had a few flipped switches practicing beads on higher/highest settings if running too long of a bead,or too many in a short time without a longer break? normal I figure since im plugged into the porch socket. which is on the same circuit as the livingroom,which has a few 10 things plugged in,if not also on sometimes?[3 kids] I tell em im "workin on something",but girls?kids? they don't listen. tv,microwave,dvd player,radio,wii...etc?? I think the main culprit is not timing my breaks right on different settings? im tryin,but get frustrated and impatient. could polarity be an issue too?? im gonna use a power strip that way itll kinda work as a timer, or at least I wont have to go to the back of the house to flip the breaker?? anyways,taking a break cuzza back problems for a few days,so maybe can get my better cord with built in breaker/reset button? On to Project: Just putting upper and lower air bag suspension brackets in the front of my truck. plan on just doing as many inch and a half welds as possible around the edges of both upper brackets. Also have to drill holes for 4 large bolts that will also be holdin it on. so I figure even if just most of the welds hold pretty good I shouldn't have any problems cuz its bolted on too. Both bottom brackets are cups that sit down snug in the hole in the lower control arms where the trucks coil springs were. ill have to take the shroud off my gun so I can get the tip down in the gap to weld the cup in. because of how its all set up,top bolted and welded,bottom welded down in a snug deep pocket,and a strong air bag bolted between each, I suppose im probably over worrying about something comin loose without me noticing in time to fix it?? Doing the rear suspension on the truck is a lil more tricky,consisting of a triangulated 4 link and bags? But because im not confident in my welders abilities on that slightly more complicated and important series of welds and angles and all that, I have a friend bringing up his good welder to do all that. I may just prep all areas in the rear and possibly at least do all the measurements and tack on all the brackets so all we'll have to do is run all the final welds and hopefully go for a nice smooth drive the next day? I think ill be ok doin the front with my welder though.{please enter encouragement here---} besides....after I weld and bolt on the brackets and clean and prime to prevent rust,then bolt the bags in and cycle with a jack to make sure alls smooth and clear of rubbin anywhere, im just gonna plug the bags with about 40-50psi in each,then just putting front end back together and tires back on, then its just gonna sit for a bit till my buddy gets up here to finish? so I have no idea why im so worried about it?? cant drive truck till get a new radiator and finish doin everything else anyways?? wasted 4 pounds of wire practicing when I should just do it? I used to work for a company making big huge buckets for caterpillar loaders? been awhile, but weldings like ridin a bike. an I learned to weld stick when I was 10-11...that's rough! especially when its custom exhaust on 57 chevy show car and ur uncles too drunk to do it so hands you the "sparkin stick" and goggles an says just do it!!! Boy I wish he was around....LOL. Sorry so longwinded? just started doin interweb 'puter forum stuff. Hope to hear back? Thanks all for the feedback. Its all very helpful. gnite.

6. ENVY SP Member

PS....what really sucks is the welds on the upper brackets are pretty much flush horizontal edge welds all the way around. Im thinkin that's why I gotta drill and bolt em on too? I should stop doubting my abilities. If I can do tattoos on myself upside down,im sure,even if it takes 4 pounds of wire, I can weld these dang brackets. ugly welds on the edge can be made pretty with a flap disc anyways. lol. late. thanks again. im figurin out this "welder" lil by lil. askin Q's helps. im getn good beads,decent penetration,nice sizzling sound? No worries right.

7. Stef New Member

West Yorks. UK
    Sorry but the transformer holds no voltage after about 15 seconds of turning power off! there ar capacitors though that do hold power but can be discharged, the same as an old tube tv.

8. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Mechanikal _dan was last seen in July 2008, this must be a record in post resurrection :laughing: I expect he’s got fed up waiting & scrapped the welder by now.

9. Stef New Member

West Yorks. UK
    I think that the brochure is correct and people are misreading it the diagram has 2 terminals each with colour labeled..Red +ve and black -ve which look correct to me and also the wires are are marked red and black, so for gas, that would be red wire to red terminal and black wire to black terminal.....for flux cored, red wire to black terminal and black wire to red terminal, the diagram may not be in colour but if you can read, it's a no brainer to setup for fluxed or gas welding.
    How is it confusing?

10. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    You won't get an answer from George either.... he's also long-gone! :clapping:
    You definitely win the prize for the oldest thread resurrection ever.....
    This thread is 14 years old!!!! :laughing:

Popcorn and Cobbler like this.
  11. Stef New Member

West Yorks. UK
    you are misreading it on the wires the text follows the wire LIKE THIS, it is not printed at a 90 degree angle to the wire. I suggest taking another look at it to see what i mean.
    Just like the the name of a road follows the road on a street map so does the text on the diagram, red wire on the left, black wire on the right...both wires identified by colour description that follows the wire.

12. Stef New Member

West Yorks. UK
    yay a prize lol....what is it!, what is it! is it something good? :laughing:
    np....just correcting incorrect posts, some-one will see that I'm right! when they look through the posts.

13. Stef New Member

West Yorks. UK
    My motto is if you don't know enough about the subject, don't just say anything that comes to mind because it's missleading others.
    People new to mig welding are still looking through these posts for answers to their unasked questions and it would be nice to get a correct answer.

Advertisements