Which donor - Disco/Vitara/Frontera for kit business ?

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Just 1 :thumbup:

stuvy likes this.
  2. stuvy

stuvy Member

Any idea what the chassis wheelbase is?

3. Wightsparks

Ruffian likes this.
  4. stuvy

stuvy Member

Honestly unless there free or cheap on eBay I’d look elsewhere

I always liked the look of them and drove one where i used to work and hated everything about it. There not even good off road as a lad in my 4x4 club had one

5. Wightsparks

So I bought it <£500 and in great condition - book price 1.9 -2.7K, if nothing else I can fix the head gasket (or the head) - assuming that the diagnosis is correct and sell it after I have used it for a couple of months. From what I can gather the HG (sometimes) and head (usually) are prone to failure following any sort of overheat, it has a new rad and t.stat on it but the whole cooling system will need careful checking as I don't want to do the HG/H twice!

Paj.jpg

The chassis of 2725mm is exactly the same as the 2nd Gen Pajero/Shogun LWB chassis of 2725mm - so in terms of a donor for a prototype it fits the bill - especially as it is a top spec model (leather etc) so has lots of nice parts to break and sell - and quite a few apparently fit the L200. As a bonus it has RWD only, as standard and the intercooler on the top of the engine can be re-located to give a lower bonnet line. The 1st gen motor is 114HP on this car - which as others have mentioned is not enough for it's weight , the 3rd gen 2.5td puts out 178hp not sure of swap potential. I believe it was also available with the 3 or 3.5L V6 petrol

Thanks everyone for the advice and input - I had not even considered the Pajero/Shogun when I started the thread, then at first the Disco/RR seemed ideal but on closer examination the donor availability was not what it appeared. Lots of valid points raised re spares but I think the Pajero/Shogun is a good compromise.

Just need a bit of space in the garage...

6. stuvy

stuvy Member

Do you know of the trumpet stag cooling issues, could this be the same?

Don’t forget to message when your on the mainland I’d like to have a catch up and talk seriously about the idea I pm’d you with

7. Wightsparks

Thanks Stuvy I'll take a look at that (I figured you mean Triumph Stag before the autocorrect got to it!) - it's a really common problem with these engines, but AFAIK the HG is not the cause but a symptom.
    Will definitely give you a shout!

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements