Which donor - Disco/Vitara/Frontera for kit business ?

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

@armalites makes a very good case for the Discovery
    Couple of thoughts, does the chassis change between the Series 1 and 2 ? They are shown as having the same wheelbase.
    How are the electronics set up - is there a separate loom for the engine ? Is the Series 2 that more complex than the Series 1?

2. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying, you may still need and IVA but if you have the 8 point you can keep the original registration. Having 8 points doesn't mean you won't need an IVA

stuvy likes this.
  3. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Different chassis and sadly the Disco 2 is more likely to have chassis rot than an earlier Disco 1.

If you go to a TD5 you can use the engine loom for a TD5 Defender which would allow the the engine to run standalone but you would need to either get the security removed from the ECU or add a 10AS security module. If you get a later NNN ecu then they are flashable so a power upgrade can be done at home with the right diagnostic tool.

If you get a Disco 2 Auto you can use a Compushift to control the gearbox and set your own change points and even have paddle shift :clapping:

Disco 2 axles are pretty strong and Ashcroft now do upgrades for them.

4. hotponyshoes Member

Discovery 3 is the same chassis/running gear as a range rover sport and they are getting pretty cheap now.
    Easy to take the body shell off complete and just leave the running chassis.
    Electronics will be a major headache though, air suspension etc is complex and the things go into limp mode with every little error.

5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    That is a bit of an exageration, they do not go into limp mode with every little error.

indy4x likes this.
  6. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

But the D3 can be run on coils, don't need to keep the air suspension

Engine, autobox, transfer box and in some cases rear diff are electronically controlled tho

fnlvder likes this.
  7. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

No just every other error :laughing:

Bullet2012 likes this.
  8. julianf

julianf Member

Changing the suspension is more points lost. Which may be fine...or it may not be.

stuvy likes this.
  9. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Early 5 seat Disco 3 had coils so that is probably acceptable.

10. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I did mean the petrol & 2.3 diesel! :hug:
    I had 2......

But I'm ok now I bought a Surf!

Nick DV likes this.
  11. hotponyshoes Member

To be fair, I did have both a bulb out warning and a low washer fluid warning without it shutting down.
    I just pray they never both happen at the same time though!
    I have also had one stop dead in the middle of a 3 lane roundabout because the alternator stopped charging and one that I had to drive nearly 200 miles with no suspension because it mistakenly thought there was water in the diesel filter.
    I have also put one into limp mode by plugging a trailer in when the auto lights were turned on.

Bullet2012 and stuvy like this.
  12. sako243

sako243 Member

Dare I suggest it but it looks like the IVA would cost a few hundred quid. If you're going to the bother of building a kit I'd have thought making it IVA compliant would be easy enough if so designed from the outset.

That way you could base it off say a Land Rover but just buy in chassis pregalved and do it from there. No hassle of sorting donor vehicles out etc.

Something along the lines of what Foers do with the Ibex. If poeple want to use a donor vehicle they can, if not then it's not much hassle to do the IVA from scratch.

13. Wightsparks

Disco 3 I think will be too expensive and sounds like too much in the way of electronics to strip out.

As I only want to build for one chassis - if I go Discovery, 1 or 2?

Is the Pajero = Shogun ?

14. Ruffian Member

Pajero is the Japanese import shogun.
    Trying to find something which consistently foldable 4x4 with a ladder chassis is going to get harder and harder.

Grand vitara in my opinion may be a good base as enough still out there and cheap to buy. Only downfall would be the limited tuning available.

Land rover will always be a favourite as the 200/300 engines are brilliant. But chassis rot and prices are getting silly. (Galv chassis is the way to go)

How about something odd ball like a Kia shortage?? Run merc engines and ladder chassis and relatively underrated.

Jpwd3 likes this.
  15. Wightsparks

If you hang around kit cars long enough you will know how expensive, time consuming and complicated the IVA is - its a 300 page manual. - Which explains why there is a very high fail rate, so add re-test cost and trailer both directions... I'm not designing/building a kit car, just a re-body for a ladder chassis.

16. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I've seen D2 bodies on D1 chassis but I don't know how close the mounting points are.

17. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Just confirm you are looking at this as project/business?

I think others are assuming you are building a project where using a less common vehicle wouldn't be an issue

As a business you need to aim at the biggest market.

lincoln2013 likes this.
  18. daedalusminos Member

Don't forget the Toyota Hilux!

dobbslc likes this.
  19. Wightsparks

Yep, absolutely as per first post!

20. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Wheelbase is the same but chassis is longer at the rear to accommodate a larger load space

Advertisements