Which donor - Disco/Vitara/Frontera for kit business ?

1. stuvy

stuvy Member

The early shoguns rot really badly in the chassis

Honestly you’d be better as a kit build as discos are worth a fortune with low mileage and I mean sub 70k at £5k for a disco 1 keep dreaming if your thinking of a rangie

As for disco 2 the v8’s suffer with slipped liners due to poor design in the engine bay

The td5 isn’t built to last in my opinion others no doubtlessly will think I’m incorrect but that’s what opinions are

Are you over on the mainland soon I’d love to have a beer and chat to you about it

*edit shogun chassis off google images

• 378A0DB1-B440-42B0-B96F-20BC1B77E853.jpeg
    dobbslc likes this.
  2. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    That's how it was explained to me by nice IVA man - I've done three IVAs so far and they aren't as bad as you think - read the (now free to download) manual and its all there to get a pass - the points get you the original plate, or an age-related plate instead of a "Q".

Still, if you were serious about a business, you wouldn't listen to armchair experts on internet forums - here (or on Retrorides where I've spotted a similar thread with similar aswers :) - you'd get on to the relevant authorities.

stuvy and premmington like this.
  3. CompoSimmonite Member

The Disco engine is just a few inches lower than the bonnet so that is going to dictate the frontal shape quite abit.

4. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

@stuvy yea I was coming (slowly!) to the same conclusion about the Disco's cost. That pic I think is an ebay project with a different engine.

@CompoSimmonite - that is one of the issues - ideally want the engine top below the shock tops which was why I was looking for a pic.

@bricol have to say I didn't start this discussion about 8 points vs IVA and I keep avoiding it on here as it is not my question. I have read the govt docs on it along with further clarification from a DVLA engineer and IMO the rules are quite straightforward and agree with Morris's real world experience.

5. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    quite like the idea of a 101 lookalike based on a disco chassis , so many made into campers I reckon in kit form they'd be interesting to a lot of landie fans

6. owas

owas Member

24k+vat though

Edit - just seen it's already been posted :ashamed:

• Singlecab.jpg
  7. owas

owas Member

This has been done with a disco chassis btw, I was condsidering buying the kit for my disco as its a decent price.

None of the pics on the site are working so I don't think they're available anymore, or maybe they've got a new site, I found it on eBay but it's not on there anymore

http://www.76175.mrsite.com/Land-Rover-based(2848053).htm

Edit again - after searching the owner has passed away, and had a terrible reputation for not fulfilling orders, glad I dodged that one ..

• DSCF5224.JPG
  8. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Sadly that kind of thing is really common, what happens is someone makes something good on a small scale then everyone wants one and they get in over their head with no way to expand. Bulkheads for Series vehicles have gone the same way with people waiting up to 18 months

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  9. stuvy

stuvy Member

We looked at making them, for the work in there wasn’t as much profit after having someone cut the panels on a cnc and spot weld together as opposed to building and selling cars which took over

10. Wightsparks

Yep that was the one I linked to. His main business was beetle based sandrails, had some happy customers in the beginning.

If I did it, it would have to be on a productionised basis I think (hence one donor). Have not gone far into the maths but probably looking at 1.8-2.4k for a jigged+tacked frame, floor and some panels. Starting with a hand made prototype or 2 then (if there was the market) having a lot of the bending/cutting done externally before gradually bringing in house to increase the margins.

@stuvy give you a yell next time I am around - though usualy Swindon is as close as I get your way - drop me a PM though if you have something specific in mind!

owas likes this.
  11. stuvy

stuvy Member

Pm en route

12. Wightsparks

Mitsu experts (eg @stuvy and @8ob ) there is a 04 2.5 TD Shogun Sport 5 dr available - heads gone so its not much money - anything special about the chassis or would it fit the bill?

8ob likes this.
  13. stuvy

stuvy Member

There a terribly slow vehicle

Test drive one there awful

14. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Cant see why not, 5dr is obviously a lwb and swb may be better for what you are doing. 2.5 engine is lively enough and not littered with electronics.

Bob

15. Wightsparks

Ok 8ob that sounds good, I know when Baloo did his conversions he found that the SWB was too short actual WB difference is 24cm. The head is a regular failure on these it would appear - 1% gasket, 99% cracked head. Helpfully that means reasonably priced replacement heads.

Stuvy - I expect it will be a bit more lively converted to RWD and loosing a few hundred kg of bodywork - makes it an ideal donor really!

16. stuvy

stuvy Member

They rev really low and I felt the ride was terrible the brakes were naff and I thought it was a shame as it was a smart looking car

There’s no top end and they run out of puff after 60

I also remember we had two that both had new heads

Thing is if you used it as a base your gonna be stuffed when people google it and see there renown for dead heads l200’s are the same

Ruffian likes this.
  17. Wightsparks

18. Ruffian Member

That 2.5 is the same as the l200 engine isn't it, which is then the similar engine to the earlier 2.5/2.8 shogun and pajero.

The shogun sport wouldn't be a bad shout as can be picked up relatively cheap and they did a v6 petrol for a giggle. (Used to use one as a shooting truck)

19. Wightsparks

Looking at it WikiP describes the Shogun Sport as "mechanically unrelated" to the Pajero/Shogun - but then goes on to say on a different page that the
    "first generation Pajero Sport (Challenger) was also built on the second generation Pajero wheelbase, and served as a junior model to the larger Pajero."
    It also looks like the underneath was pretty much unchanged from 96 -2008 which gives a great range of chassis options

20. stuvy

stuvy Member

The 2.5 is a terrible engine there so gutless

The pajero 2.8 is brilliant and the 3.2 is superb

The v6’s are shocking on fuel

If the engine gets swapped out how many points is that?

Advertisements