What are you machining?

1. tinman123

tinman123 Putting the Extra into ordinary.

i have a harrison 12" swing one here, i bought a mint M250 a few yrs ago and stored it at the time.
    i pulled it out 18myhs ago and wired it up and set about turning some 30mm stock, it was at that point i realized just how good a lathe my 12" was, the 250 is a great wee lathe but it aint meant for anything more than light cuts.

that monarch is a fine lathe, you would rarely see them about, wouldnt mind one myself but the next lathe im buying here when i get the money together will be a 2.5 mtr bed in either a harrison or a colchester with a big mouth on it.

so i was right enough about the collet system, dont know how i remembered that.
    i take it you mean it is now converted to an r8 taper instead of not.

Pete. and doubleboost like this.
  2. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

I had a bit play on a 250 no where near as rigid as my 140

3. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Seems to be a lot of engineering machinery for sale up your way on donedeal, i had my eye on a little elliott shaper that was going for not much money.

4. tinman123

its never really today , more like the other day with some of the pics id put up but here's one sure.
    childs play really but it comes under the heading of machining i suppose..

its for a chubb lock im fitting to a door and frame ive been making over the summer, times i might only get an hour or two at it and an odd time id spend a day at it, i kinda went a bit overkill on it but anyone that id know me would say there id be nothing new there.
    might as well stick in a pic of the frame when i am talking about it i suppose.

• IMAG9863.jpg
    • IMAG9733.jpg
    Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. tinman123

done deal needs to get a bit more like e bay when it comes to a search imo, what they have is a crappy system to me, there are tags all over the place because of that, you would have to wade through some amount of crap to just have a browse.
    i wasnt really looking at anything on dd of late, anything of value?

6. tinman123

your 140 id be streets ahead of the 250, its a nice model makers lathe really, lovely lathe for smaller stuff.
    i was surprised tbh as i thought it had the gimp of something stronger.
    after about 10 mins of play i listed it on the net, ended up selling it to a lad in Latvia.

7. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

Looks nice from what I can see, you should look into making lead-lined doors :D

8. tinman123

i could i suppose, but they wouldnt want to be in a panic for them...:laughing:

9. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I agree completely, its crappy, but sometimes you can find a bargain.

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=12665

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=444387

10. tinman123

the first link there is these lads.
    http://www.reidmachinerysales.co.uk/index.php

the second is john close, ive talked to him a few times, he dosent seem to be too dear for his gear but ive never been to see so i dont know, he had a couple of boxes of mt drills of various sizes, id say he still has some yet, he wanted £1 per mm for them iirc.
    thought it steep enough tbh.
    a nice guy to chat too tho, sometime ill call in.

what you make of that TOS he has.

11. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    It looks bigger than 2m between centres. I have used tos lathes once, it was brand new and a really nice machine, a bit tall but good.

12. tinman123

i wouldnt mind the lth, id be aiming for 2.5 mtrs.
    i dont know what he would want for it.
    would i be right in saying its a lot heavier built than either of the two others.
    not a common lathe but you would see them about all the same.
    whatever i buy ( when i do ) id rather get one with all the tooling rather than have to spend a lot of time gathering it up unless i was getin a real bargain.

13. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    It seems to have two steadies and the tool post. Sure give him a call and see what sort of price he is looking on it, i wouldn't fancy having to move it though.

14. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Turned up a nylon spacer bush yesterday to fix my 2 year old's toy lawn mower. It's got a pretend grass box on the back with loads of little bits of green plastic grass. As you push it along, a paddle spins round and throws the plastic around so it looks like the grass is being cut.
    There was so much end float on the paddle shaft that it would jam up on the side of the grass box, so I turned down and old nylon hammer head to make a spacer.
    One happy little Gardener now!

15. tinman123

he has it a while iirc.
    he had a m400 a while back, indeed he could still have it, said it wasnt in bad nick but would need a clean up, £2500 iirc but it was missing the gap bed piece, after a bit of googling i came to the conclusion it was akin to gold plated hens false teeth.

i might look at it some time, i know little about them tbh and it kind of feels alien to me but im sure id learn.

even if i had a big lathe right now and as much as one would be handy im just not ready for it yet as im slowly building at a tool room for myself, like everything else round here the work gets in the way a lot of the time but it might settle in the winter a bit and i might get back at it.
    that door im doing is for it.
    if i had that done id be chomping at the bit.

16. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

I've just made a new air jet (or whatever it's called) for my Guyson sandblaster... in hindsight the thing had given poor performance for years but had finally stopped picking up grit altogether. Pulled the gun to bits and it dawned on me that what I'd always thought was part of the main casting was actually a separate component that was stuck in place. I drifted it out and found a flanged cone with a drilled hole through the centre... and a large hole through the side of it from where the incoming grit had worn it away. The result was that much of the air was being blown back down the pickup hose :rolleyes:
    I assumed it'd be tungsten or something equally hard but it turned out to be mild steel, so I knocked up a new one on the lathe, rebuilt the gun and fired up the air compressor (a 1980s SIP, but we won't hold that against it :D).
    Now the gauntlets were about a dozen years old and in tatters, so perhaps sticking my left hand under the blast nozzle wasn't one of my best ideas... by god did that sting!
    Quickly found a couple of rusty bits of metal lying around and gave them a hosing... clean in seconds flat. I'd no idea that suction sandblasting could work this well :D God knows how much electricity I must have wasted over the years v...e...r...y......s...l...o...w...l...y blasting stuff clean :rolleyes:

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. Pete.

Pete. Member

Tricky little beggar today. My mate has a Honda Bros but wanted to use a lighter, more modern VFR wheel for better tyre selection and less unsprung weight. the VFR shaft will fit the Bros arm but because the assembly is a bit thinner the nut hits the end of the thread before it clamps up. I agreed to have a go at picking up the original thread and extending it.

I quickly found out that the shaft is too hard to thread such a fine pitch with HSS so I ground up an old broken carbide endmill into a threading tool and after that it was a case of carefully lining up the thread and having at it.

threadextend.jpg

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

like the tailstock enlarged centre:) improvise where there's a will there's a way

Pete. likes this.
  19. Pete.

Pete. Member

I wondered if anyone would spot that :D
    I have some extreme high pressure grease lubing it but it still needed careful setting of the pressure to stop it squeaking.

Hopefuldave and brightspark like this.
  20. tinman123

i was about to say i hope you had some lube there on the jacobs.

Advertisements