What are you machining?

1. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Thats some boring head !

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

They are made from Delrin Acetal, blanks I bought off DAPPH on here as a matter of fact.

They are lathe headstock gears. The plastic runs on steel without rumbling. The small er gear is also wider and is a sliding gear to select high/low (AKA back-gear).

3. tinman123

tinman123 Putting the Extra into ordinary.

ive nearly had to use delrin a few times but didnt in the end so never have, whats it like to machine on the mill, id imagine it cuts nice and crisp.
    what mill and lathe do you have.

4. tinman123

i didnt even look at what was in the mill tbh, i just seen the stop and thought that pic ill do.
    but yes, its quite a nice bit of engineering there.
    its a narex vhu 36, i bought it off the bay a while back, was after one for a while, on its own with the r8 arbor it cost me 200 quid.
    its dear because it id be a known quality brand with the full kit in the region of 3.5k new.
    im building my kit up as i go along..
    it takes 16mm tooling.

altho, arc euro do one which is identical to the narex in a kit for round the 350 mark iirc, ias a thinkin of cashin this one in maybe and investing in arc's kit that id hit my tolerances just fine,and it comes in a BOX as the man once said.

5. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Is it a facing head as well as boring ?

6. tinman123

it is yeah.
    it can either be used manually or automatically by holding the knurled ring, it can be set at different settings itself by indexing the ring, each time it counts for a higher gearing so it moves quicker depending on what your doing.
    you can set the stop to trip when it hits it but there is some math to get the nuts.

its one of those tools that ill sit in the cabinet for a hell of a lot longer than it ill see day light but its handy when you do want it.
    it ill do the likes of a cir clip groove in a part, face it, internal or external boring or boring out to size so covers a fair few bases.

thats a 10mm boring bar in that pic that i made a reducing bush for from 16mm to 10mm so it leaves me i can bore anything from 10mm up to 300 odd or whatever the max of that tool is.
    i have bored cir clip grooves before with an ordinary boring head but its a pita.
    this thing has 2 different movement adjustments, one for fine at .001 and another for quicker indexing with each revolution = 2mm.
    its a fine bit of engineering ill give it that.

as someone here said before, when it comes to tooling, once you buy a mill your doomed.

7. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I was skimming 5mm off a couple of wheel spacers t'other day:
    received_10154519138459009.jpeg
    I didn't take an after picture, but just look at what they came off of::D received_10154519155164009.jpeg received_10154519154994009.jpeg

Hopefuldave, Parm and Pete. like this.
  8. Pete.

Pete. Member

It machines lovely using razor sharp hss tools with a high top rake and steep chip breaker. If you can hold it well enough to take a heavy cut you can curl the chips so that they come off in tight curls which makes them easy to clean, otherwise you get stringers and lots of them. I make good use of my numatic vac when machining plastic.

I have a Herbert 0V mill, a Denford 280 synchro lathe and a Monarch 10ee lathe too.

9. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

10. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Outside in a 4 jaw with the studs pressed out. Outside as I had to redo that leading edge on the hole and 4 jaw as none of my three jaws are big enough (And they're also all horribly worn:whistle:).

Luckily the studs came out or it would have meant skimming and drilling my faceplate, then a harder job getting them centered.

roofman likes this.
  11. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Was it the 4 jaw self centreing or the indie?

12. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Indie, the self centering wasn't big enough to get it on the outside. Well, it might have been if the jaws were hanging out of the chuck body a fair way, but it doesn't look very safe and I didn't fancy swapping to the outside jaws:whistle:. I needed centering practice anyway:D.

brewdexta and Pete. like this.
  13. Pete.

Pete. Member

You have to be careful holding parts with the jaws wound almost right out. It's easy to break the scroll teeth and even throw a jaw or the part out

14. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I thought as much, that's why I didn't:thumbup:.

15. tinman123

you up about 1000 rippums or faster.
    ill try n keep that in mind for when i do use it, its a good hard but flexible plastic.

the monarch are a solid lump of a machine, what kind of a swing has it?.
    never seen a denford, viceroy i take it, lathe, looks a handy solid one.
    i know little about the herberts but they were a strong machine too, dose something tell me that some of them if not all had a kind of a special taper.
    i could be imagining that tho.

16. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Brown and sharpe taper ?

17. tinman123

it could be ronan, i vaugley remember something about some lad somewhere on the net looking for one to fit his machine and wasnt having any luck but i only randomly came across that while looking for something on r8.

what is the brown and sharp taper when its at home?.

18. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I am not sure tinman, the only ones i have used are r8, morse taper, and the international tapers eg 30int. Others listed in the link below are Jacobs, jarno and brown and sharpe.

http://littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapers.php

19. tinman123

no more than that, mt, r8 and some er here but nothing else,.
    yet..

it could be a std iso as quick for all i know either.
    im sure he will enlighten us.

20. Pete.

Pete. Member

The Herbert is the smallest vertical they do just 6" in y and 12" in x. Yes it had a bespoke taper but it's not converted to R8 so tooling is no issue. Original collets can only be found at the end of rainbows and even then they came with just 6 imperial sizes AFAIK.

The Denford Viceroy will swing 11.5" and the Monarch about 1/2" more but a far better lathe. Hardly surprising since it's 3x the weight and a new one today would cost £100k

Hopefuldave likes this.
Advertisements