weed licker design

1. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    I think you're probably right Justme it would be inclined to stick especially if it hit something solid I like the idea of a spring behind it or maybe even a couple of these
    16-06-09_2055.jpg
    if you could move the top end along the frame it would also allow for different height settings
    here is a pic of my baby with the two arms attached I needed the workshop for another job so painted it before it went out
    I'm sheep shearing these days so no sympathy on a bad back oilcooled;)
    16-06-09_2052.jpg

2. Justme

Justme Member

So a spring on a tube that adjusts.

If you go back to the one in the pic you need the chain behind the bar not in front or when it hits it will tighten the chain & not allow it to rise.

Or do it like some of the bought ones do & mount it between the wheels so if its that bad the wheels will lift it up.

3. Justme

Justme Member

I think those struts might be to stiff & slow acting for this application.

4. oilcooled :)

oilcooled :) Pipe Welder, Mechanical engineer

i tink were on the home straight now, tanx scarcrow and justme, :)
    shearing is very tough espiecelly the rams. :)

5. oilcooled :)

6. scarecrow

Ireland
  7. oilcooled :)

would newtons be the measurement with springs weight in kilos by 9.81 accelaeation due to gravity?

8. scarecrow

Ireland
    you will have to ask Isaac as i haven't a clue

9. Justme

Justme Member

KISS
    (keep it simple stupid)

make it heavy & use chains

Looking at the frame it will need some low down weight to balance the high up water tank.

10. scarecrow

Ireland
    If you're pulling it with a ATV you need to keep the weight as low as possible especially for wet areas the water tank is usually around 80 litres and the frames are only two or three foot off the ground and they are usually between six and ten foot wide so no real need for balancing

The main problem is that you are running them so low to the ground they tend to hit it if it's uneven and usually in the centre of the boom where it is the weakest so you need some sort of breakaway which the struts should be ideal for

11. Justme

Justme Member

I would say that you need a trailing arm not a leading one. Those struts are fully extended so cant be used trailing. IE the strut needs to be mounted nearer the hitch whilst the wiper supports nearer the wheels. The wiper support can then arc rear wards to lift over the problem. But that means that the strut needs to extend & not compress. That or have a fixed length trailing arm & use the struts as the vertical arms. That would work but still have concerns over speed of reaction of tailgate struts. Plain non sprung (so no gas ones) long travel low resistance shocks would do.

12. oilcooled :)

finally got started on the weedlicker for my neighbour :):welder:

• Pic013.jpg
    • Pic016.jpg
  13. scarecrow

Ireland
    Looking good can't wait to see it finished nice looking like as well looks like a 500 will gladly swap the tires off mine with you as its in bad need of a set. keep the photos coming

14. oilcooled :)

there not mine to swap its for a neighbour :whistle: we cud steel:laughing: ryt finally starting to bring the weed licker together slowly, just overlap the middle drum, coat of paint few chains, nd finished.:laughing: then silage cribs to be made for a donnelly trailer nd dat cud be complex?! but i will get this done first!

• Pic019.jpg
    • Pic020.jpg
    • Pic018.jpg
  15. oilcooled :)

nd yes the reflector is crooked :)

16. scarecrow

Ireland
    never

17. oilcooled :)

would you believe them wheels nd stubs came off that trailer outside the door :) weather is cat in ireland isnt it?:) welding nd wrking in the shed is about all that can be done with the weather. ur getting there to :welder:

18. JohnGalway New Member

Apologies if dragging up an old thread is bad form on this forum. but, I'm really interested in this thread and was wondering if there were any more updates/info/photos? I'd like to make my own weed licker/wiper, though I'd design a lightweight more compact one that I could push about myself (very uneven ground). Am particularly interested in all the mechanics of the pumps, rollers, solving the issues of drip/too much or too little mix and so forth :) The idea of a ground driven system using bicycle wheels appeals to me.

ATB,

John

19. pidgeon chit welder sticking metal since 1962

Carmarthenshire
    Thinking about drips of weed killer on a thick felt skirt attached to a light weight " T " bar ,being pulled ( pullings easier than pushing ) along with a four gallon header tank

Gardinia do some horticultural drip nozzles that you screw into a 15 mm plastic pipe . Gravity feed and use a simple turncock to regulate the gravity flow from the header tank .. like the idea of cycle wheels and old wheelchair ones that have solid tyres ...may be your able type modify an old wheel chair as the basic frame is there all you'd need is extensions to the handles to pull it and a raise /lower bar at the back possibly extending the wheel axle if your after any greater coverage than five feet ..hell why not make it like a rickshaw add a 12 volt car washer pump , a 12 v recharge battery and a press button operating switch on the draw bars

Another thought is the permeable plant watering tube that is often used to sweat water adjacent to plants cable tied to a support bar to which a doubled over felt is also attached ... after all the weedkiller dampness only needs to wipe the taller weeds .. any one any idea if it needs pressure to make it work if so what sort of pressure .. would a car washer pump and 12v rechargable battery or three be any good

20. scarecrow

Ireland
    hi john-g and welcome
    never did get to finish sorting it out I think I might have to change one of the wheels so I can put a smaller pulley on it to try and slowdown the roller says it was spinning to fast
    I had some heavy rushes to do so made up a spray boom for them last year
    the pump work off 12v battery there shouldn't be too much problems with drip if the roller speed is right the pump doesn't run continuously you just switch it on and off to keep the roller wet as needed
    my roller he is a bit on the heavy side so I was keeping my eye out for a 6 or 7in pipe something like a flue-pipe or stainless-steel you would probably get away with a plastic type drainage pipe if you were not going to wide

Advertisements