weed licker design

1. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    Like the title says I've been tossing this one around in my head for a while and have finally come up with a plan
    02-03-09_1327.jpg
    the shaded area is the roller which will be covered in a carpet and a hood with spray nozzles to spray the roller the biggest problem has been trying to get the roller to spin and also to be able to set it the different heights
    I could have used a hydraulic motor but at some stage I might use it behind a quad so I decided to drive it with a belt from the wheels that's why it hinged at the wheels
    I think it will work if anybody sees any problems let me know

2. wyn

wyn Member

Will you mount it on the front or the back, scarecrow ?

If it's on the back will the weeds be pushed down by the wheels of the tractor.

3. scarecrow

Ireland
    That is always a problem with them but on the upside you don't have to spray the whole field just to get a few weeds and you can use roundup as you wont be spraying grass

4. have you had a look at any of the comercial builds scarecrow, I gather the pitfalls are preventing drip.....

5. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

This is what it looks like finished eh?
    weed licker.jpg

6. scarecrow

Ireland
    That's the one I've seen as well Sparkey to buy that here last time I looked was €2200 the suspension units are very expensive so I'm trying to work my way around having to buy them

Not sure if dripping will be a problem as the pump is driven by the battery and not the pto with just a pushbutton switch so you can control the amount of spray that goes on the roller
    managed to do a bit of work on it yesterday so here is where im at
    05-03-09_1706.jpg
    05-03-09_1857.jpg
    my idea is just to hang the roller from the top rail with a couple of light chains so they can ride up and down under its own weight cutting out the need for suspension units

7. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Hmmmm, not sure about that...hope it wont wobble too much and cause the roundup to splatter and drip eveywhere....
    But offcourse i'm not an expert in this stuff...

8. scarecrow

Ireland
    It won't be hanging freely it will be hinged from the lugs on the hubs just using the chain's to more or less set the height and if it meets anything solid it can ride up over it if you know what I mean and I'm no expert this is going to be a bit of trill and error

9. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Yes i understand but the frame might be a bit too rigid if you know what i mean...i'll have to think about this too...:D

10. scarecrow

Ireland
    You could be right. where I think I will get into trouble is getting the roller to spin at the right speed to fast and it will spraying everywhere but I should have some leeway because it will be driven from the wheels so I can just drive slower
    02-03-09_1328.jpg
    I'm more or less making this from scrap the got lying around so if it goes wrong it's not the end of the world the only thing I need to buy is the tank and pump which can be got for around €400 some carpet for the roller as I think there is the special one and the Bearings that,s the one in it,s own housing not sure what are called

11. wyn

wyn Member

The bearings you have in the drawing are ....pillow block or plumber block bearings

12. cooper956 Member

Hi never made a weedwiper but used them alote for some contracting we have a logic contact 2000 uses brushes not carpet the carpet ones where crap if u can ger a brush of somesort insted it will work much beter also rember the roller has to spin the opisit way to what the wheels go round.
    ours has a pad you set from 1% -100% and it turned the pump on and off but we found it was better to run 100% and just turn it on and off at main swith if it started driping as the weeds where in patchs.

13. Jaeger_S2k

Jaeger_S2k Member

Well be quick!

He'll have it built tomorrow :laughing:

14. scarecrow

Ireland
    No idea where I would get a brush but had thought about something like that the one I've seen had the carpet roller and it seem to work okay it's
    easy enough to change direction of the roller just put a twist in the belt

it won't be finished by tomorrow the frame is the easy bit might be able to keep her scratching her head for a week:whistle:

thanks wyn

15. Archie Member

UK
    That tyre's aged well, Scarecrow. ;)

16. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Haha!:rolleyes: really get the feeling my advice is greatly appreciated...
    Nevermind...i'll just go sit in a corner talking drivel then....

17. cooper956 Member

18. scarecrow

Ireland
    No idea how old they came on a scrapped trailer that I got for nothing I still have the other axel

your advice is always appreciated:hug:
    Have you come up with any ideas on how to keep the roller from swaying

What make of pump are you using now cooper956

19. cooper956 Member

to be honist i carnt rember and it aint her at mo its in winter storage i thunk the ones that packed up where flojet 2 little rubber bits kept wareing makeing it not self prime so it used to work with a full tank but after about half it stoped pumping. the tank we use mow cam with a boomless sprayer if the weeds are 2 thick for the wiper we just flick the sprayer on

20. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Any updates on the weedlicker scarecrow?

Advertisements