weed licker design

1. jugs

jugs Dont wish to offend & annoy, but...

How about some form of swinging arms too allow up/down but not side movement ?

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Leaf springs???

3. jugs

jugs Dont wish to offend & annoy, but...

4. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    didn't get a chance to do any more to it this week Sparkey I have been thinking of putting the chains for hanging the roller at an angle which should help to keep the roller swing side to side but if need be I can probably put some sort of guide to keep it in line as it moves up and down over something like rushes here is a drawing that might give you better idea
    05-03-09_1901.jpg
    the roller will be attached to the bottom arm which will be hung from the top frame with the chains
    some interesting brushes there jugs I have been toying with the idea of getting a roller brush for it I trying to find some suppliers the sell weed wipers
    and maybe just buy a roller from them as they should do spare parts it's mostly to carpet type roller overhear

5. scarecrow

Ireland
    I have been chopping and changing the frame a little this week not happy with the hitch weight i now have it down to under 15kg I will be happy if it comes in under 25 kilos with tank and roller any quad bike should be able to handle that
    22-03-09_1757.jpg

Not sure about the leave spring sparks as the higher up the roller would go the more pressure it will apply but you have given me an idea I have some old dampers which i thing came from the boot of a car which might just do the trick

6. wyn

wyn Member

How are you getting on with the lorch, Scarecrow ?

7. scarecrow

Ireland
    It's a lovely welder so much nicer for verticals than my other welder my shoulder is giving me a bit of trouble so I just weld everything as I meet it these days

8. scarecrow

Ireland
    I haven't made much progress with this because of a gammy shoulder on the upside it has given me more time to play with solidwork and here is the results

untitled.jpg

It is the coolest bit of software the whole thing even moves

9. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Sounds good! (and looks good too!;))
    :hug:

10. oilcooled :)

oilcooled :) Pipe Welder, Mechanical engineer

i like it, im also making one of them scarcrow well its converting one tat is built for the arms of the tractor to one that is suitable to be pulled by the quad. ill have pics up soon till i try an get an idea what im building in my head :D should be easy enough ?!

11. scarecrow

Ireland
    I haven't really got much further on this project but did get the arms made up for the roller and have finally sourced a pipe tank pump and carpet for it now I just need to get two bits cut for the end of roller pipe and then all I have to do is get my head around the hood for holding the nozzles I'm trying to figure out how to fold an 8' sheet ill probably have to get it done somewhere but not much room in a workshop at the moment as there is a tractor in there which I'm fixing up for sale so hopefully the deal will go through and it'll be gone by the weekend:D

12. oilcooled :)

well im going to attack a weed licker in the coming week or two, nd i like ur frame scarecrow so i will use your angles and dimensions .:laughing: i have got a licker with wickes, not a carpet type one so here is my mechanism, please comment good or bad i want an honest opinion. i never draw stuff i would normall work out my head so forgive my dodgy tech drawing. not to a scale, and is very rough.

• scan 14-06-2009 15h20m20s.jpg
    • scan 14-06-2009 15h20m49s.jpg
  13. Justme

Justme Member

Why not suspend it on two chains each end triangulated. Would be simple to adjust height using hooks & it will rise & fall all on its own over thicker stuff. To stop end float fit another chain on the end also triangulated. Like an upside down pyramid on each end with the wiper on the tips.

14. oilcooled :)

would swaying not come not be the problem then just me, it might not be a major factor but if i was coming into heavy weed in my opinion it would glide over the top of them instead of wiping them half way down, but i could be wrong. there is no resistance on chains in the oposing direction? what do you think. thanks for the reply.:laughing:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  15. Justme

Justme Member

I guess it would deppend on the weight of the bar. Even with the method in the pic it can just raise up unless its sprung down.

If raising is that big a problem then use a fixed height one & make the adjustments using an adjustable section in the draw bar.

16. scarecrow

Ireland
    I was thinking along the same line if you could get a spring into the sleeve then if you hit something it would allow a bit of release while still being able to apply some force on the weeds

17. oilcooled :)

trial and error we will get there, after mowing 15 acres my back is in bits rough ground ::cool:

18. Justme

Justme Member

I was thinking about the spring to be mounted behind the sleeve so that the unit can compress it whilst allowing it to rise / travel rear wards to ride over the problem. Trying to get it to lift straight up will just cause it to lock up in the sleeve.

19. Justme

Justme Member

Oh what about stiff springs & do away with the sleeve completely?

20. oilcooled :)

i was also thinking of that to just me but then i would be able to set height and wouldnt have to do it on the pivot.:whistle:

Advertisements