Very first steps! Haven't even turned the thing on yet.

1. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Like this?
    https://www.weldequip.com/phantom-extreme.htm

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Easy, and cheaper than swapping out your lid, is to add more light to the welding area.

I made this using a cheap Banggood bicycle light and a few bits of scrap I had lying about. Three light levels and fully adjustable on the column

IMG_20190326_101942.jpg

PaulaT and Wallace like this.
  3. eddie49 Member

Note that if you're running gasless, you don't need the gas shroud on the end of the MIG torch. Taking it off will give you a slightly better chance of seeing what is going on. If welding in a confined area, such as inside a car sill, it's a good idea to insulate the end of the torch stem and the copper tip with heatproof sleeving.

PaulaT likes this.
  4. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

It confuses me that that would work! I thought it was already super bright because of the arc?
    How strange!

5. Pete.

Pete. Member

It's not so strange if you think of it as the difference between someone shining a torch at you, and you shining a torch at them (whilst they shine a torch at you). One way you only see the torch, the other way you see the torch and everything you're lighting up.

slim_boy_fat and PaulaT like this.
  6. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Oh i see. (hopefully literally)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Ed B

Ed B Member

I've found with my limited experience that good lighting makes a massive difference, but if someone is welding outside I would have thought you dont need extra lights?

I've been using one of those bendy led lights with a crocodile clip on that you get for kids bedrooms from Ikea. Cost about £4 (actually nothing as I stole from daughters bedroom) and shining the light directly and as closely to the area I'm welding

8. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

9. jordan1 Member

IIRC these Uptime 160 Migs have two dinse sockets of the front panel + and - so why should there be a need to reverse the internal connections or am I missing something.

10. eddie49 Member

True, but those Dinse sockets are for the Arc function - these machines do MMA as well as MIG.
    For MIG, the welder return lead ( "Earth" cable ) can be swapped from the negative to the positive Dinse socket on the front panel to go gasless, but the power cable for the Eurotorch socket, as shipped, is bolted internally to the back of the positive Dinse socket, and so it needs to be moved over inside.
    I suppose this could be simplified by using a thick flexible cable for that Euro power cable, feeding it out through the front panel, and adding a male Dinse plug on the end.

11. jordan1 Member

Thanks for that.:)

Advertisements