Very first steps! Haven't even turned the thing on yet.

1. bourbon Member

When you have it all set up. get some scrap, clean it up and practice practice, practice. When you get fed up, practice some more. That's what I'm still doing.

PaulaT likes this.
  2. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Should i practice with the flux core or with the gas? I'm thinking it's cheaper to practice with flux core?

3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

with gasless wire it apears hotter and is bright

play around with it get used to being close to the material your welding about 5/10mm away from your work try getting constant at that use the other hand as support

gas wire is different you will end up practicing with that wire when you get it

PaulaT likes this.
  4. bourbon Member

you are right thinking it's cheaper with gasless wire. But results will be different for both as already explained. So you will still need to practice on both.

PaulaT likes this.
  5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Find a local engineering company or fabricator and ask if you can raid their scrap bin. I have found such a company and donate to the "Bun Fund" when I visit, keeps them happy and I get all the off cuts I need to practice on.

stuvy and PaulaT like this.
  6. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

I can ask they guys at the place that have the SGS gas. They are a radiator refurb place and have a yard full of stuff.

7. eddie49 Member

Welcome to the Forum.
    I also have an Uptime MIG160 welder. There is a review here:
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...igbt-160-amp-mig-welder-mma-euro-torch.88278/

The welder arrived set up for solid wire + gas. The internal wire covered with white heatproof sleeving is the feed in to the Euro torch socket. It was bolted to the lower ( Positive ) Dinse socket. The Earth lead would then be plugged in to the upper ( Negative ) socket.
    To convert to gasless wire, the internal white cable has to be moved to the upper ( Negative ) socket, and the Dinse plug on the Earth clamp lead plugged in to the lower ( Positive ) socket on the front panel.
    I have used both solid .8mm wire with gas and flux-cored gasless 0.9mm wire with the same 0.8mm tip and roller, it seems to feed OK for both.
    Flux-cored gasless wire is best for welding outside ( where shielding gas may get blown away by wind ) and some people find it makes overhead welding easier.

8. stuvy

stuvy Member

You will learn more in 3minutes with someone that knows what there doing than in 3 years of guessing what’s going on.

Start as you mean to go on as gasless isn’t that good especially for doing any bodywork as youl end up blowing holes in the metal

Welcome to the forum and a world of burns where you didn’t expect them

9. arther dailey Member

if your welding with gas ,pracctice with gas:)

10. Oh yes! I would post a photo, but it would frighten the natives!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Ok great. Got it. Move the white one up and plug the earth clamp into the positive (lower) socket.

12. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

The manual says this.
    I was confused because there are 3 wires not 2.

• IMG_3080.jpeg
    • IMG_3081.jpeg
  13. eddie49 Member

That's right, the manual differs from the machine. The two thick black wires are the actual power, supplied from the main inverter board, and bolted to the rear of the two Dinse sockets. The upper black cable is negative, the lower one is positive, and the Dinse sockets are labelled on the front panel in that way.
    As shipped, the setup is for solid wire plus gas, and so the white wire to the Euro socket picks up from the positive.

PaulaT likes this.
  14. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Great.
    Thanks, that’s perfectly clear.

15. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Well i finally got to have a go! I obviously need to practice but some of my beads looked ok for a first attempt.
    IMG_3133.jpeg

16. bourbon Member

Keep going, they look ok to my very amateur eye. It's just practice, practice, practice. (first ones I did were my girlfriends name as well)

17. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

they look ok i presume your using gasless wire ?

could be wrong but the balls of welds on outskirts of your welding imply that to be the case

18. Better than my first attempts:(

19. PaulaT

PaulaT Member

Practice practice practice!
    Still using Flux core. Very handy to find a wing of a car on the street. I think i'm getting it.
    There's a big difference between doing a beed and joining metal together. It's 1.5mm steel I think, so i was blowing massive holes in it at the start!
    Any tips welcome. I found seeing what you are doing the biggest challenge. IMG_3149.jpeg IMG_3153.jpeg

20. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Indeed you are, most of those look better than my efforts. :ashamed: What does the reverse of the panel look like?

PaulaT likes this.
Advertisements