tube buggy thingy

1. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    once the engine and box were out it went on to an engine stand so it could be test run and 40 miles of wiring cut away

DSC00179.JPG

slim_boy_fat, galooph and Ruffian like this.
  2. gaz_moose Member

'bodging' standard car hubs to gain extra lock is fairly straight forward, as is making them steer quicker. is your steering rack infront of the 'front axle' or behind?

be interested to see what gearbox you plan on using. ABC clutch, do an off the shelf kit that bolts a diesel BMW box on the back. that would give you nice low ratios.

3. CompoSimmonite Member

I've got a Marlin Roadster and intend using it for gentle green laning as they are a popular trials car so can take the "punishment"

4. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

That sounds like it was Dudley Sterry in his supercharged J2 special, would guess wrong side of 70, I recall him on the Cotswold Clouds trial in 1970, it went like a rocket then.

image.png

5. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

will the engine loom separate out OK, or is it all one?

6. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Nope not him - his is rather modified and in your piccie is in Class 8 although I notice he now runs in Class 7, so must have scaled back the mods.

7. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    There's a couple of MR2 specials out there doing well - although I was beating one rather well on the Yorkshire trial last year . . .until I bust the diff . . .

Dutton carries ballast so more weight to get up a hill - which it does rather well. But its more to or stop and turn coming down, or across a slope - which takes a lot more care. With a mid/rear engine, the engine is the ballast.

Triumph Spitfire style front as per my Dutton - even with 1" lock stops on the rack, the Dutton will turn in the width of a narrow road, with the inside rear wheel describing a circle of around a foot or so.

All in head at mo . . need time and space.

8. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Bricol, were you on the Clouds this year?

9. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Afraid not. Not done a proper trial since the Yorkshire last year. Work keeps getting in the way.

10. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    Hi yes the engine loom separates quite easy, its not to bad to sort out if you like wiring
    if not you are never alone theses days with the internet, there is a fb book page for these engines
    and a chap on there called Christopher who builds plug and play engine looms,

11. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    one of the things I like about Suzuki vitaras is the wide range of options they came with like lsd and various engine sizes
    which means there is a multitude of diff ratios available from the 1600 cc to 2,700cc petrol and diesel engine versions
    diesels used 3.7 and 3.9 to 1 which is what I am using to match up with the lexus V8
    again I had the axle shot blasted and I painted it black, I do like shiny bouncy bits

DSC00195.JPG DSC00196.JPG DSC00200.JPG

indy4x, slim_boy_fat and Shox Dr like this.
  12. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    since they made fat boy vitaras there are 10x15 alloys cheaply available like these that I have
    would have liked bigger wheels on the back really but not sure I will find any in my price bracket lol

IMG_20170404_181600496.jpg

HopefullySoon likes this.
  13. Wightsparks

It looks like both the Jeep CJ7 and the Daihatsu Sportrak uses wheels have the same PCD but with a 0.4mm smaller centre bore so that could be a possibility with a bit of emery cloth!

Have you got a pic of the Suzuki with the body off before you stripped the rest?

14. Baloo Member

Birmingham

yep Daihatsu wheels fit straight on

these are probably the best pics of chassis with out body on, one I a mk1 and the other a grand vitara
    there are noticeable differences between the two, one utilises a steering box the other a power rack
    one has a 4 bar link rear axle the other an A frame location, front suspension towers are lower on the grand vitara
    but they are both dimensionally the same

019640x480.jpg DSC00100.JPG DSC00102.JPG DSC00107.JPG DSC00109.JPG IMG_20170607_192803184.jpg

15. Wightsparks

It's been bugging me but I knew I had seen that chassis pic before somewhere :whistle:- what happened to the Hoppa - that was some great glass work!

Also excuse my ignorance on all things Suzuki but when the Vitara is not 4x4 is it RWD or FWD ? Looks like a great base for a conversion, as it is not a monocoque so no IVA.

16. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

@Baloo remind me not to come in my Vitara next time I visit, I'll probably be walking home due to bits mysteriously disappearing :laughing:

17. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    yes probably not wise to park outside my workshop, 8 nuts and the body would be free to lift off, could always use another rolling chassis
    :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Robotstar5 likes this.
  18. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    2wd vitara is rear wheel drive conventional engine and box like an mx5
    will explain about the hoppa in a bit

Wightsparks likes this.
  19. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    sorry back now, I had a plate of fish and chips placed in front of me, and unsurprisingly it wasent that much of hard decision as to whether I should type on here or tuck in :laughing::laughing::laughing:

as Wightsparks said I had started this with a different body in mind, I had always wanted a beach buggy but never liked the air cooled engine hanging
    out the back and as most are on a shortened beetle floor pan you would be into an iva anyway, then one day I was browsing an American buggy site when I saw a picture of a "different" looking buggy that looked worth a bit of investigation,
    low and behold it was from the uk Birmingham even, so I rang the designer who had by now moved down to devon really helpful guy who explained the story behind its birth, he was by trade a car designer for a major car manufacturer who had retired and was "keeping his hand in"

here a couple of pics of the original clay moulds

concept_4.jpg concept_7.jpg

below is the finished product based on a shortened beetle floor plan, I think its fair to say it dident sell well due to having to chop up a beetle,
    anyway I went to see the designer/manufacturer only to be told it wasent being made any more :(:(:(:(

I explained about wanting to fit it to a Suzuki chassis instead explained all the hows and whys of it being a good idea
    and he revealed there was a body shell that had been made and never sold, some coins changed hands and I had a bodyshell

wrong size to fit on a vitara chassis but a bodyshell non the less

,mkj.jb.png orange61.jpg

this thread is going to wander a long way of a tube buggy for a while but I don't suppose anyone really cares ????

20. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    clearly I have a back panel in mine where the engine is on the above and a stonking big motor up front

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
Advertisements