Tool and Cutter Grinder Build

1. jordhandson Member

Did anyone on here win that Weldon head of ebay
    Weldon 200 head.jpg
    Cheers

2. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Loving the precision of this build, lovely work.

3. jordhandson Member

Cheers Barkin, Father also says I am improving, which isn't difficult when you've got a mill and a lathe, and all youve be use to is the angle grinder and the welder:laughing:

barking mat and Hopefuldave like this.
  4. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

When I see people producing stuff like this it just makes me realise how kak handed I am.

One day... I'll get my lathe into my new workshop, and get on with stuff.

Just got to finish the house before I'm allowed to start on the workshop.

5. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Watched it, it was just down the road - but I'd like to make my own and I have a few ideas cribbed from YouTube videos and other people's sites on cutter grinding, plus I want to use readily available (as in already got two and a bit full sets) Er32 collets.

Interesting feature, how the relief angles are set on this, bit of a fuzzy video or three:

I may try something similar, with the flute-finger on a collar around the work spindle/head when I get the tuits, circular.

And Tony Foale's TCG, interesting thread on this site:
    https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/homemade-tool-cutter-grinder-difference-56205

Dave H. (the other one)

jordhandson likes this.
  6. jordhandson Member

Useful video, Tony Foale's Thread was brill thanks Dave:thumbup:

7. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I've long held a lot of respect for Tony, his book on motorcycle chassis design is one of my favourites, and I'm so old I remember his articles in Motorcycle Sport (the red 'un) in its heyday, alongside One Track and LJK Setright - do we have motoring / motorcycling writers like them any more, concerned with design instead of styling and toys?

Dave H. (the other one)

jordhandson likes this.
  8. jordhandson Member

Hi all, I machined the slot down the side of the tool holder, drilled and tapped the spin index tube,

JAN_1765.JPG

I gave it all a final lapping it spins real nice and smooth, it can also be locked for any indexing. I have changed the finger holder on the flute guide, I may still change the style as I have another idea in mind.

JAN_1764.JPG

I have also added a cranking handle to wind the motor and spindle up and down, I went for functionality rather than looks, and I can have a good grip on it.

JAN_1812.JPG

Apart from drilling a couple mounting holes and fixing it to its base this part of the build is finished.

JAN_1813.JPG

Birthday is in a couple of days so fingers crossed on some grinding wheels. I will probably be making a circular saw blade sharpening jig for it in the future, there’s no rush for it, I will add some pics as and when I have it done.

This will probably be the last posting on this for a while, so cheers for all the comments on this build its been fun.

Jord

9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

its appears alot better of a build than what you was planning to build in the first place

its been an interesting watch of the build and nice to add some input into the build of it

10. jordhandson Member

Yes thanks Gaz:thumbup: its a lot better than my original idea, luckily pressbrake reminded me of that Quorn type grinder.

11. gaz1

gaz1 Member

you have no excuse not to build it up and sort some stuff out when you can a good chunk of it was already prebuilt up for you

:whistle::D

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That remains to be seen - I've only opened the one box so far, and that was to check the motor did its spinney thing. :ashamed: :D

13. jordhandson Member

I did manage to get in the workshop for an hour this morning, I had a wheeled stand where my 2 bench grinders were fixed. These have been moved I had a piece of 40mm thick worktop and have bolted the new grinder to it.
    JAN_1828.JPG JAN_1829.JPG
    I will probably make the stand into a cabinet with some doors and maybe a draw to keep it all together. Now I just got find a new place for my trusty Wolf grinder.
    JAN_1833.JPG
    I have picked up a inclinometer I thought it will be handy for setting angles, it was only a couple of quid.
    JAN_1831.JPG

pressbrake1 likes this.
  14. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i picked up one last year thought the same as you as i kept seeing them in use on youtube videos

15. jordhandson Member

I saw them at the same place I have a digital one on the way as well. I thought they looked interesting. and cheap as chips I gather because there in inches measuring and not metric.

16. jordhandson Member

Gaz, the digital angle gauge arrived today its a clever little gadget, you zero it on something you know is level then it changes as the angle changes, its got a good size readout as well

JAN_1838.JPG

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. gaz1

gaz1 Member

but not all levels are true not even the building levels are

there nere but not exactly level even an engineering level is not a true level

jordhandson likes this.
  18. jordhandson Member

Yeh know what you mean, I do tend to use a couple as I am always thinking is this one accurate, I have been known to use two or three spirit levels at the same time, some would say its a condition I have, winds father up sometimes:laughing:

19. ranchero Member

i got one these too .i like it but don't know how good it really is. probably cost more to get it calibrated than it cost to buy

jordhandson likes this.
  20. jordhandson Member

Stick it in on a few things you know are level

Advertisements