Tool and Cutter Grinder Build

1. jordhandson Member

Ha ha yeh be wasted on my plodder:laughing:

2. jordhandson Member

Its beginning to look like a tool cutter grinder. I bored out the block for the tool head on the lathe it was early and I forgot to take pics. Once the head was opened up I could get the tool holder in and set about sorting the indexing fixture. Lunch time job hot pasty in one hand, I got the indexing plate drilled, 36 holes at ten degree,
    JAN_1728.JPG
    I wasn’t going to do that many holes, but though while its all set up why not, the extra holes may be handy. I turned a lovely little plunger,
    JAN_1726.JPG
    first time using the Bernard collet chuck, lovely bit of kit. Drilled and milled a slot for the plunger, I found a spring that needed a little trimming to go behind the plunger,
    JAN_1733.JPG
    I have to make a proper lever for it later, Ive just got a bolt in it for the time being. At the last minuet the plan of having the indexing plate at the front of the head changed, as it would have impeded the angling of the head, luckily before I had welded on the swivel fixing I just reversed the head.
    JAN_1737.JPG
    I think it looks ok and does the same job. All in all I am very please to see the shaft mounted and the Clarkson chuck in there.
    JAN_1740.JPG
    There’s still some fiddly bits to do, like mill a slot down the side of the tool holder shaft to lock it into the swiveling index shaft, make the clamp to lock the index shaft in, that going to be the ring sitting on the base, I still have to make the draw bar and end piece, and a few other parts I can think of. It is good to see it come together tonight,
    JAN_1739.JPG
    I think its looking ok and I reckon its gonna work well.

Cheers Jord

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    barking mat, zx9, MBB and 5 others like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

just to mention something on mine before you go to far mine has a way to do the flutes down the mill end

and if you look at the extras i can also use 2-3-4-5-6 flutes to sharpen them up by twisting

it also has a blade so it slots into the mill spiral and then you twist it to sharpen the flute edges down the end mill

just incase you decide to weld lock alot when really you shouldnt but allow it to move on the round bar

20190115_144908.jpg

slim_boy_fat, Hopefuldave and MBB like this.
  4. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Useful to be able to grind the flutes - dos it have the bit-of-hacksaw-blade as a flute guide or something posher?

Dave H. (the other one)

5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

mines the top one on the left

s-l1600.jpg

Hopefuldave likes this.
  6. jordhandson Member

Today I turned the drawbar end cap,
    JAN_1743.JPG JAN_1742.JPG

and I turned and threaded the draw bar, I found some off cut from an old starting handle,
    JAN_1745.JPG JAN_1741.JPG
    this old metal once you get under the surface turns really well.

Luckily I or father had a 5/8 tap and die I was going to attempt some threading on the lathe, but father has an old box of whitworth taps and dies under the bench, I have never seen them used ,and I was going to get rid of them buy having older machines has made me have a rethink on that idea.
    JAN_1746.JPG

I also drilled and taped the holding ring for the main tool holder spindle.
    JAN_1744.JPG

Nearly there now
    JAN_1750.JPG

Tomorrow I will probably make the flute guide holder, its the bar that slide out from the front of the head to guide the flutes when sharpening end mills, once that’s done it should only leave the slot down the side of the tool holder shaft and the locking screw on the top of the main tool holder spindle. Then apart from making a belt guard (later on) we should be good to go.

Oh I forgot, once I get some diamond wheels. Still, I can pretty up some of the welds while I am waiting.

Jord

galooph, slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
  7. jordhandson Member

I am not weld locking

Miss understanding there gaz,:doh: I am not weld locking anything its difficult to explain, the slot along the side of the tool holder allows the tool holder to slide forwards and back, and the clamp round the indexing tube stops the indexing tube sliding out. :thumbup:

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@jordhandson Reading your progress and the good work your doing, I feel very guilty knowing I have a Quorn machine presently sitting in three boxes, two of which I haven't even opened......:ashamed: And I only opened the one containing the motor [among other bits] to make sure it worked.

So many projects means that it'll be some time before I unpack it all. I don't want bits of it scattered around and neglected while I have to attend to something else. :ashamed:

9. jordhandson Member

Dont feel guilty slim I have quite a few jobs "un-finished" on the back burner as well:whistle:. Tools like I need now take priority, the tool grinder is needed like yesterday otherwise I am going to have to many bits that need sharpening, and that's when my head gets :vsad: bogged down.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

mines just a round bar with a bar stuck out and dosnt have a slot in it
    this allows me to use the spiral feature when doing the flutes on the milling end mill

11. jordhandson Member

Gotcha:thumbup:mine will have the option of locking into the indexing head vie a turn screw, or loosen the turn screw then allowing it to travel to do the flutes, or any other thing that needs forwards or backward adjustments

12. gaz1

gaz1 Member

mine has this to lock it

20190115_144851.jpg

see this it helps

13. jordhandson Member

Yep that's the sort of thing I was going to do something like this jig
    End mill sharpening jig.jpg

I initially was going bore and slot the guide or jig in the head here,
    JAN_1706.JPG
    where the indexing pin is now in, ie the head is now upside down, as I forgot about the indexing plate so I coud not use the position designated. so I used that place for the indexing pin
    JAN_1733.JPG

I will now make something that drops down lower so as not to fowl the indexing plate, simple enough. when not working to a plan you do come up against these little problems, adapt and overcome that's my moto, well one of them fathers got loads of them.:laughing:

14. gaz1

gaz1 Member

use your bar below the tool post itself as mine connects there as its out of the way and is solid enough

JAN_1750.JPG

15. slim_boy_fat

My pal uses this set-up but says it's a bit of a faff - he doesn't do much milling but says it does work

cutter sharpener 1.JPG

Richiew likes this.
  16. jordhandson Member

Cheers Gaz, I will look into that:thumbup:

17. jordhandson Member

Yes during my collecting ideas time, I saw there are some ingenious ways people grind there tools, hopefully this tool will be able to do all my needs, I am also hoping to make a jig to sharpen my saw blades, in theory it look simple enough.:D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. jordhandson Member

If anyone is thinking of doing there own cutter grinder there a useful bit of kit on the fleebay search
    Grinding attachment / drill grinder / cutter grinder
    It is a Weldon 200 and looks interesting as I think it has the air bearings in. Its only making 26 quid at the moment 2 days to go. If anyone buys it on here I would be interested in some picture as to how the air bearing works, must be channels round the shaft or something like that.

19. slim_boy_fat

20. jordhandson Member

I manage to get a little bit done today on the flute guide holder, using up some of my scrap off cuts, I made a block then drilled and tapped it to fit some 15mm stainless round bar I had,
    JAN_1756.JPG

I ended up mounting it under the head, I wasn't keen on fixing it to the bar below the tool post itself, as I think it would need re-setting every time I moved the head, my thinking is this way it will always move with the head.
    JAN_1751.JPG JAN_1752.JPG
    Last week I bagged a few 4 morse tappers, I mainly wanted the 3-4, 2-4, and the 1-4 tapper but I got the lot for about 20 quid including the postage so not bad I think.
    Morse Taper Reducing Adapter.jpg
    They arrived late yesterday which allowed me to play around with the flue guide pin, against a drill bit. Its clever and makes the flute spiral, the pin I have done works but I am not happy with it, as there is not enough fine adjustment, I am working on a little piece which will allow me to adjust the pin up and down, and side to side.
    JAN_1755.JPG
    I will make a clamp type fixing on the 15mm bar, The hole ive drilled and tapped with a grub screw in the end of the 15mm bar
    JAN_1753.JPG
    I will still use but only for really small bits, as I think to do the end mills and bigger drill bits the guide pin will need to be more offset than it is at the moment.

• JAN_1754.JPG
Advertisements