Tool and Cutter Grinder Build

1. jordhandson Member

Thought I would make a first post on the Tool and cutter grinder build. As I cannot afford a Clarkson tool and cutter grinder I have been eyeing up this type

universal tool grinder.jpg

but wow they make lots of money for what is basically a grinder, with more accuracy.
    This is the base idea I am hoping to put together,
    OCT_1331.JPG

once I have this part sorted I will then sort out the swively parts, as per normal there is no planning apart from a bit of a sketch while having a cuppa.
    Father had to got near the scrap recycling yard today so I went with him and manage to grab some steal plate the straightest I could find was some 20mm thick plate,

OCT_1335.JPG
    will need a bit of chopping about to get the size and shape I have in mind. I also picked up some round bar but it only 22mm and I have got the boring bar stuff
    OCT_1351.JPG
    although its a bit thick and to wasteful to turn it down to about 25mm.
    I did find an old motor that is face fitting but it is only 1605rpm,
    OCT_1332.JPG OCT_1336.JPG
    will this be a bit slow or do you think it will do, The ones I have seen on the net are 3000rpm and up. I am hoping to fix the grind wheel directly to the shaft so will be direct drive as I don't think I will have space for pulleys and belts

Jord

Maker and 8ob like this.
  2. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    jordhandson likes this.
  3. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire

The Chinese clone is actually of the GHA grinder which was a clone of the Decal (German I think). These are single lip tool grinders where as the Clarkson is the daddy and is a true tool cutter grinder.

Jord I think your motor will be too slow as like you say they run at around 3000rpm. The motor on mine is 1425 but then drives the stone via a 2:1 ratio pulley so making it around the mentioned 3000rpm.

If you need any more photos just shout.

20191213_202219.jpg

ronan and jordhandson like this.
  4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Id buy the quorn book.
    My pal made a quorn and it can do stuff my clarkson can only dream of!
    Hes a miser so no castings all fabricated from diving in my scrap bin!

mtt.tr, ronan, Hopefuldave and 2 others like this.
  5. jordhandson Member

Cheers Fazerruss the photo's will be handy for later when making the tool holders I actually got my inspiration from the Deckel ones your George Alexander one looks good, they hold there money well, I have watched a couple of them
    What collets have you in yours are they Er32 or 16 I am thinking pushing the size up to ER40 to sharpen bigger stuff.

Thinking on it the motor would need to be bigger:thumbup:

6. jordhandson Member

Cheers :thumbup:I had forgot about the quorn one I first saw this type ages ago then lost it I really like the way the swivels are set out I may got this route with the 2 slides as then I could possibly use the pulley type off the motor increasing the speed

7. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire

They are ER32 collets in a modified chuck. The machine only came with one original collet and they are ridiculously expensive. There were 2 types, one relatively cheap and the other exactly the same as the Decal. Mine turned out to be the latter so I upgraded.
    You shouldn't need a powerful motor as you only take a very light skim to sharpen end mills ect. Mine is only about 1/3 hp

Hopefuldave and jordhandson like this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I actually have, thanks to @gaz1 for the heads-up a good while back :hug:, a Quorn packed in three boxes in the cave - I'm resisting even unpacking them because I just know I'd launch into refur'b/rebuilding it. The only thing I've done is check the motor which came does it's whirly thing, and it does :thumbup: . The other boxes remain taped up - I've surprised even myself with this exhibition of self control, never heed my pals. :D It's had to take its place on the list until it can receive my undivided attention, preferably when the weather's a bit better. :laughing:

I'll slowly getting there.....:D

ronan, Wallace, gaz1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

ronan likes this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

if i remember correctly plans for a quorn build i have as also sent a link to slim as well

11. slim_boy_fat

12. gaz1

gaz1 Member

just found this so has good info for you

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. pitmole Member

swuk
  14. ukracer Forum Supporter

What's a quorn book. I thought it was substitute meat?

15. slim_boy_fat

barking mat likes this.
  16. gaz1

gaz1 Member

id check the link still works as ebay do remove ads over a certain time period so saved ones dont exist any more but i have them anyway

ukracer likes this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

jordhandson likes this.
  18. Pete.

Pete. Member

jordhandson likes this.
  19. jordhandson Member

I have not had much time on this this week, blasted works got in the way :( I have changed my mind on the Deckel type and decided on a Quorn type cutter grinder as for what research I have done it will give me more options. Its not a lot but I have managed to chomp out some more forklift tine
    OCT_1360.JPG

The upright bar is the 1,1/4 boring bar and I found an old stainless boat shaft 25mm which should do the cross bars.

OCT_1356.JPG

Not a lot but a start at getting the base worked out.

OCT_1364.JPG OCT_1371.JPG

now weekend off to visit family.:doh:

20. jordhandson Member

Just a quickie done a little bit more in the week I couldn't do the spiral column as on the on the qourn, so have threaded the block and use some threaded bar hopefully it will lift and lower the motor and cutter spindle.
    spindle lift.jpg OCT_1381.JPG

gaz1, 8ob, indy4x and 5 others like this.
Advertisements