Today I acquired...........

1. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Skip to 1 minute 9 seconds.

julianthegypsy likes this.
  2. CRB

CRB Member

.....some copper chunks which I remember dragging home twenty years ago.
    DSCN0541.JPG
    The cruciform parts are polypropylene from a cradle for printed circuit boards, which was 4m long and floated in a solution for plating. The copper was introduced in the form of balls, about 50dia. Any imperfection seemed to start a 'growth' We took loads of these out because after a while they started affecting the balance and buoyancy of the cradle.

Now you chaps who know the current price of copper could tell me how much I found tonight. 9.2kg less the PP, which will be at best 200g.

I have no idea where to go anyway, except down to brightsparks;).

3. Cyberprog Member

Around £30 depending on the market.

4. julianf

julianf Member

I got 3500 / tonne (£3.50 kg) for clean copper about 3 weeks ago.

5. ford34/2 Member

Cramlington,Northumberland. United Kingdom
    CRB, Scrap weigh in.
    Factory Road in Blaydon, take your pick you`ll need ID and it`l be cheque or Bk Trf. Plenty more in the North East. I use Euro metals and they were paying £3.80 Kg.( Bright stripped copper cable)

Stan.
    Check out: for a guide

http://www.greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/

6. CRB

CRB Member

Thanks Stan, three next door to eachother.

?What can I spend £30 on?:dontknow:;)

7. Kayos

Kayos Member

Today I aquired some more bits for my output transformer-less valve amp.

Only been collecting for 2 years and I've almost got enough to make a start

8. sardine

sardine Member

Got 3 big rubble sacks of copper pipe, and one of brass fittings, should get me a good drink ?

9. julianf

julianf Member

Cut the soldered ends off the pipe. For the time it takes, its worth the increase in rate.

(and, of course, you can still weigh in the cut off bits, just under a different grade)

10. sardine

sardine Member

Will do, ta.

11. anjum Member

A major organisation is closing it's maintenance departments, very short sightedly IMO, due to new equipment that won't need servicing (yeah right). As a result they are throwing away most of their tools!!! Can't be bothered (typical wasteful large organisation) to sell them so the employees are having a field day (or months). Some huge plant worth tens of thousands is being scrapped rather than offered to local industry.

One of the supervisors got me some tools including a load of air impact wrenches (mainly Atlas Copco!!) and some Facom sockets, plus some britool bits and pieces. I've tried the air guns out and they run but need a lot more air than my compressor can turn out.
    I'll keep one for the day I get my air compressors linked.
    The rest I'll sell..result!
    Hope they throw some more my way!

monkeymark likes this.
  12. ukracer Forum Supporter

I had a double take at that..........my glasses get mucked up during the day and needed cleaning so its ok... lol

13. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

At the hospital where my dad works they redecorated an office and everything left in there was destined for the skip so he liberated an A4 filing cabinet, some heavy lead bricks (for shielding radiation I think), Some kind of motor starter switch, a laser alignment jig, a big steel block, some alu shims and the biggest chisel I have ever seen, all unwanted:o. I'll upload pics later.

14. Badabing, lead bricks, ideal for placing in someone's pocket before pushing them off a river bridge!!!

15. anjum Member

Just the soft glow of radiation left to mark the watery grave.

16. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

17. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Sod that, concrete wellies & weigh the lead in. Must save the planet, can't waste resources.

18. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

Ah, lead bricks :D
    We once bought a load from the National Physical Labs at Teddington (we build radiation shielding cabinets amongst other things, the boss thought the bricks might come in handy).
    Cutting a long story short, we had the bricks collected by an artic (actually two, NPL had estimated the weight and got it rather wrong), had them in storage for years using hardly any of them for cabinets :rolleyes: and then almost lost the lot when the 'itinerant metal collectors' had a go at our storage containers.
    So the boss decided to scrap the lot; we had to submit samples to the scrappy who had them tested for radioactive contamination and then they made us an offer and sent a skip wagon. Three of our guys hand-balled lead bricks into skip, the guy attached the chains - and the wagon tipped up. So they off-loaded enough bricks to get the skip lifted and followed it to the scrapyard weighbridge.
    Then the skip wagon came back for the rest.
    NPL's original estimate had been 5 tonnes and we paid (if I recall right) about £2500 for it.
    Eight years, 20 tonnes and two skip wagon trips later the boss netted £24,000. The guys who gave up their Saturday morning to hand-ball it all got £50 each.

19. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You should start up a window cleaning round if you want to climb ladders :D

DAPPH, brightspark and Maker like this.
  20. sardine

sardine Member

I was offered well over a cubic metre of coal a few years ago, trouble is it was in one lump, sitting outside an artists studio as an ornament. I declined the offer though, I didn't fancy smashing it up and bagging it all.

Advertisements