Thinking of building a Haynes Roadster

1. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    The big thing with building a car like this is the ability to keep moving forwards. There WILL be times when you don't feel like you're getting anywhere but being able to go to it and do something, even if it's just a little job, keeps it moving and prevents it from becoming a part built project for sale. I haven't always managed this - I've built two Robin Hoods and am coming to the end (I hope) of a major rebuild of a GTM Coupe but in between these there was an SPD200 that I bought part built and sold with not much done to it plus a Focos that I sold recently as a change of job immediately followed by the landlord not renewing the lease on our unit meant I didn't realistically have the time or the space to put it together.

I did meet a guy who built a locost chassis in his cellar. He'd measured the doorway to make sure he could get it out when he got to a certain point so he knew he wasn't going to be one of "those" people who build something they can't get out of the workshop. Unfortunately he hadn't considered that once it was out of the cellar there was another door before the door out of the house and it was slightly narrower. He became one of "those" people anyway. Someone in the Robin Hood owners Club built their car in a static caravan that they had bought for scrap and put in the back garden. Come the day to get the rolling car out they cut the front end off the caravan to roll the car out (and subsequently cut the caravan up to dispose of it).

2. MattH

MattH Member

I've just finished reading the IVA manual.

I'm presuming that I am under the category of "basic" for an amateur built passenger vehicle rather than the "Normal" category.

All seems fairly straight forward.

The plan will be to build the car to a basic level to past the IVA, not going in for all the bells and whistles that I'm sure I will end up wanting.

Once through and plated it will then get rebuilt with a little more freedom to make it a more Fast road / Track oriented car.

I can then look at stream lining some of the lighting, instruments etc and also start to upgrade some of the components i.e. braking, engine power (adding Turbo) and ECU.

Off to Cancun in a couple of weeks for the family holiday. Once back I will look to get a couple of machines sold (Brideport, Cardiff Lathe, Bandsaw) to fund the start of the project.
    My bike will probably fund the second phase after the IVA if I find I'm really into it.

3. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Interesting thread.
    Have any of you guys considered using a Mazda rotary engine ?
    Back in the day when they ran the Westfield championship there was a guy racing a Mazda rotary powered Westfield and there was nothing that could come close to the speed back then. We had crossflow and pinto power.

stuvy likes this.
  4. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

stuvy likes this.
  5. MattH

MattH Member

Wankles not for me. :ashamed:

6. CompoSimmonite Member

Have you considered a BMW Z3 as a donor ?

7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Matt dont forget to make yourself a radius checking tool, edges seem to be a common failure. Not sure about screens now but if they were not fitted in the past there was no need to check the glass, washers or wipers.

Bob

MattH and Nick DV like this.
  8. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

I'm pretty sure you still don't have to fit a screen, but if you do as 8ob says, you need to make sure everything conforms and I think you may even have to fit a demister.

IMHO, the IVA is a licence to print money for VOSA, given the cost of a retest if even something simple fails, whereas the SVA was reasonable. Perhaps that's why they employ little Hitlers in many of the stations :mad: There used to be one in Southampton who was an arrogant little ***t, and he took great delight in failing everything he tested. :vsad:

MattH likes this.
  9. MattH

MattH Member

Yep, radius' are key and I will be designing in where ever I can.

I will not be adding a screen as I can't see any legal requirement for one and as you say it just causes issue.

I seem to be fairly late to the party. The scene seems very quiet now with very little activity on Locostbuilders or the Haynes Roadster forum.

It seems the stringent IVA has put many people off.

Nick DV and stuvy like this.
  10. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

No screen will definitely save a lot of hassle :thumbup:

I agree, I think the IVA has gone a long way to ruining the lit car industry :(

stuvy and MattH like this.
  11. MattH

MattH Member

Further to a comment @stuvy made in another thread and a niggling thought in the back of my mind I find myself contemplating building this chassis from tube rather than box.

I agree with Stuvy's comment that the box section frames are old fashioned.

The fact that I can mill all the tube ends to fit precisely and that I can tig weld the frame lead me to think that I could build a better tube based frame than the traditional box frames.

Thoughts?

Ruffian, Turbo, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  12. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Do it.

You have the skills and the kit.

Box is/was/will be advised for novice builds.
    As it is easier to cut weld etc.

stuvy and MattH like this.
  13. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Like the MNR Vortx https://www.mnrsportscars.com/

Have to say that the favoured method is box for the base frame as it is easier to get it all flat and square with tube up from there. But since you are in it for the challenge why not!

MattH and stuvy like this.
  14. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Not so sure about tube, there are so many panels , brackets and clips on these things that are easy to fit,weld or bolt on box that would be hard work on round. More than enough other challenges to keep you busy.

Bob

MattH likes this.
  15. MattH

MattH Member

It might be worth me buying a single length of tube and building a small sub assembly to see how I get on.

8ob and stuvy like this.
  16. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

On my TVR chassis they have used square and round, on the Haynes it may be an idea to mix the two. Square on the lower rails for easy engine mounts and floor attachment , round elsewhere. Just thoughts.

Bob

[​IMG][​IMG]

eLuSiVeMiTe and MattH like this.
  17. Ruffian Member

I have to ask, how many random chassis do you have just "kicking about??"
    I have seen various photos of land rovers, kit cars, tvr.

I would like to do a full tubular chassis as if you have the facilities to notch tube then cutting brackets that wrap around wont be any harder.

Looking at @Woody.v8 stock car anything is capable. And if it's a challenge you want then I would want something a bit different than the "norm"

Woody.v8 and MattH like this.
  18. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

The place is heaving with stuff, finishing the mancave extension is on the immediate hit list of jobs to do and then all will be revealed :laughing:

Bob

19. Ruffian Member

Because to me that tvr chassis looks cerbera or chamera, which in it's own right is something special and you cant tease us like that.
    Come on, sharing is caring.

20. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I have posted this before. I want me one of these but there is absolutely no chance of finding or buying one.

[​IMG]

So I am building my own replica along with a few other little toys which is why the cave extension is so important. Toys all need laying out on their own build tables so if there is a hold up on one I can do bits to another.

Its going to be a mongrel on later chassis etc, got the chassis, running gear, 302 V8 engine and gearbox, complete bodyshell with doors and glass etc. Its butchery of a classic but I dont care :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turbo, brewdexta, Wallace and 7 others like this.
Advertisements