Thinking of building a Haynes Roadster

1. MattH

MattH Member

I've got a hankering to build a car from scratch.
    After a bit of digging I’ve mostly settled on a Haynes Roadster but with an MX5 doner using the old SSC chassis plans.

I’ve got to sort out an area of the workshop to build it in and move along a couple of machines which will create more space and part fund the build.

I will be planning on putting it through an IVA test but it would probably mainly end up as a track car.

Any advice or input?

2. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

Get the SVA manual, with updates. Can be done on line.

Get to know a local MOT inspector, he may lend you the books on what is testable.

Quadrupled the build time.

Get space.

Get an understanding wife.

The Haynes book makes it look simple, it has good ideas yes. But lack details.

I have helped someone attempt to build one, still on going 10 years later.

Withy the donor car, get the log book etc. Cal DVLA and explain you are using it for parts to build a car. Keep a detail list of parts used. That will help at the SVA to get a number plate etc.

Do not attempt to pass the SVA first go. you will get sad.The Haynes manual is out of date, as SVA updates come out every few months.

Tools, you will need more than you think.

Learn to scavenge, learn your local car breakers.

The electrics, learn to follow a wiring diagram. The web is your friend there. Decent meter and crimping tool.

Space, again, you will need space to 2 to 3 cars. 1 to strip the donor, one to build and one to refurbish the parts.

Learn to swear.
    Learn to have late nights.

Learn to walk away.
    Learn to have fun.

My friend has a working Super 7 look a-like. But it kept on falling at the SVA. So it is used to heard cows.

Nick DV, Parm, eLuSiVeMiTe and 2 others like this.
  3. Wallace

Wallace Member

Add learn to sweat and bleed, also be prepared to suffer with the build blues. Oh, and get more space! :thumbup:

Nick DV, Parm and The_Yellow_Ardvark like this.
  4. CompoSimmonite Member

See if you can buy somebodys stalled / failed project as I'm sure plenty of people start building the Haynes Roadster but don't realise how much work is involved.

stuvy likes this.
  5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Did we mention he will need space?

Parm and Wallace like this.
  6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Good idea. but you wil spend an age in finding one what does not need major surgery.

Down here failed kit car projects are common.
    When they find out that simple "Quick fix" will cost them a small fortune.

Can be done, but it is full of pitfalls.

7. CompoSimmonite Member

Neighbours son showed me his Westfield which had passed an SVA. The amount of work required to make it conform was surprising. Even the edge of the rocker switches nearest to steering wheel had to have edges sanded round instead of square !

8. 8ob

8ob Member

[​IMG]

eLuSiVeMiTe, Barlidge and Woody.v8 like this.
  9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

ISTR you need to supply proof of origin, for any donor parts. Ie not from a reg’d stolen vehicle

10. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Or the groves in the pedal rubbers.

That's why you need a complete donor car, with documentation. So prove parts came from an approved vehicle.

11. MattH

MattH Member

SVA has been replaced with the IVA which I have the manual for.

Tools wise I think I’m ok, I have Mig and Tig sets, CNC and manual mills, 3 lathes, CNC routers, bandsaws, chop saws, plasma cutter etc etc etc.

I intend to fabricate as much myself as possible. I have taken on and completed a number of large technical projects in the past with good results (CNC builds etc).

Electrics are no issue for me as I trained in electronics. I have rebuilt engines from the big end up but I also have a friendly mechanic business neighbour who is interested in the build.

I have 3200sqft although there’s a lot of tooling in the space.

I have an 8x4’ surface table to jig the frame off and although I don’t have a ramp I do have a forklift.

This is more about having a technically challenging project to undertake (that isn’t business related) to take up some of my time.
    I’m not limited in time or budget within reason.

I would be aiming to pass the IVA first time otherwise what’s the point in turning up :dontknow: although if it failed on something it wouldn’t exactly be the end of the world.

rockweasel, eLuSiVeMiTe and stuvy like this.
  12. MattH

MattH Member

Documentation on the doner also helps with the category of emissions tests that are applied to the build.

13. MattH

MattH Member

Can’t see an image Bob.

14. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Then go for it.

SVA Or IVA is a sore subject for a lot.

@MattH You will be dealing with the staff at Avonmouth.

A strict centre. Not always fair.

But follow the rules you will be ok.
    They have been known to fail self built cars on the first visit, because they could.
    Taunton they would allow the builder in to watch and let the discuss the issues. For example showing the inspector where in the documentation the details on that item in question.

Oh yes.
    At your local one, get your wheels balanced and supply paper work from the tyre place.
    A small detail we missed.

Oh yes.
    Mirrors. Good from donor car, but if from a breaker or after market get details.
    The breaker will give you details of the car they came from, so they can be cross referenced.

MattH likes this.
  15. Anguz Member

bedfordshire
    Do it, but bear in mind that the last 5 % of the build will take 95% of the time

Been there done it, and got the t shirt

Woody.v8 and MattH like this.
  16. MattH

MattH Member

All good points. Stupid bits like marked glass for the screen (from manufacturer not supplier). A minefield I’m sure.
    I will do a lot of research on the test but I’m not getting hung up about it. This is manly for the build experience rather than ending up with a road car.
    The aim will be for it to be registered though.

The_Yellow_Ardvark likes this.
  17. MattH

MattH Member

And cost 95% I’m sure. All the nice shiny bits and bobs.

Anguz likes this.
  18. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

I'm watching this with interest as I would like to build something tasty for the road.

19. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I did a Locost about 20 years ago. It's in Holland now I think. Someone bought it and exported it. I had it on the road for about 10 years before it went. Build it without a windscreen, you don't need one for the IVA

Wallace and Anguz like this.
  20. The_Yellow_Ardvark

It is the small bit what cost the failure.

Each time I was dragged in, it was for the "crac."

Advertisements