Taper on cut edge

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Did Hypertherm confirm there was an issue with the previous torch?

2. MattH

MattH Member

all I was told was that they found an issue with the torch so swapped the head.

3. MattH

MattH Member

I’d really like to have a second torch to test with, but at £600 plus I’m not going there.

4. Hood

Seems strange that they confirmed the issue but yet with the new torch you still have the same problem. Is it any better than before or just the same?
    Is Hypertherm close to you? If it is then maybee you could take your machine and torch there and ask them to show you it cutting correctly, at least doing that would let you know whether it is the Hypertherm/torch or something with your table.

5. MattH

MattH Member

It is better, before it was between 7 - 11 degrees and now it’s around 3 - 7 degrees.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Hood

I don't think I would be happy, especially at the price of them.
    Is it bevelled on all sides?
    Is the bevel the same direction on all sides?
    Could possibly be the torch needing trued up, the likes of the Trafimet I had on the TecArc had three set screws to adjust things. The Jasic doesn't have anything so you need to adjust via your mounting if required, My mounting brackets are more or less fixed so thankfully my torch seems to be true.

MattH and Brad93 like this.
  7. MattH

MattH Member

I haven’t gone full out testing today.
    I cut some small tokens and then moved on to cutting some test products.

before I was getting a large positive bevel on all four sides. Now it looks like I’m getting more bevel on two side (adjoining) and less on the other two. I need to rotate the torch 90deg to see if the issue follows to the torch which will rule out alignment (as it did before). I’ve put a 12” Engineer’s square on the table before and the torch was perpendicular in two axis.

To be honest I’m pretty despondent with the HT.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

This is the worst the taper has ever been on ours and it’s between 3 - 5 degrees at the minute.

I will try new consumables tomorrow and check the torch with a square or dial indicator, whatever works.

I’d certainly be raising a complaint with Hypertherm if your torch has been back, and still isn’t working right.

As Robin said, could the unit be taken back to Hypertherm and tried on another table or a unit bought to you?

Where abouts are you based Matt? Have you got three phase?

slim_boy_fat and MattH like this.
  9. MattH

MattH Member

I’m in Bristol, I sent the unit back to Tom at TWS and he sent it in to the service centre (I don’t know where that is).

My Powermax is single phase but I have plenty of 3ph.

I’ll probably do a bit more testing and then raise this again with TWS (Hypertherm don’t do direct support I learnt).

Brad93 likes this.
  10. Hood

Adjoining tapers suggest an issue with the torch to my mind. As if the shape of the plasma stream is sort of bevelled itself. Turning the torch around in the mount 180 should confirm if that is the case.

MattH likes this.
  11. MattH

MattH Member

Indeed, as it did the first time!

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That sounds Messed up. Honestly I’d be pushing for a loan torch to check to see if it’s the torch.

If you’re ever over Essex way you’re welcome to plug your machine into our table and try this torch.

I’d have to do a bit of software configuration as when I first installed the program it asks if you’re using a 45 or a 65.

slim_boy_fat and MattH like this.
  13. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I think the DTHC changes the height slightly depending on the direction of cut. One side is nice, at 1.5mm height, other side of the kerf which is the taper side lifts the torch up a little higher. Consumable change solved most issues like that. Remember they dont last forever, and piercing reduced the lifespan.

14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I haven’t worked out how to do an edge start on mine yet :doh:

15. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Cnc? Mine , non cnc, always has always leaned to one side, even with complete new consumables?

16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Put the edge you want to be straight to the right of the torch, in the direction of travel.

barking mat likes this.
  17. barking mat

@Brad93 , I'll give that a try and get back to you.

18. barking mat

But not tonight......

Brad93 likes this.
  19. Hood

The THC will change the height with the voltage so if the wrong voltage is entered into the THC the height could be more or less than the ideal. Worn consumables will also alter the voltage as will different thicknesses, different feed rates and different materials. I usually watch at the start of the cut and tweak the voltage via the THC dial if required to give the best height, my problem at the moment is I do not really know what that is meant to be for the Jasic as there doesn't seem to be any info in the manual. I know the TecArc with the Trafimet torch was 3-4mm and also that the standoff adapter for hand cutting with the Jasic is 3-4mm so I presume that that might be the ideal on the Jasic with the THC, time will tell as I get more use.

That was one thing that was a bit of a PITA with the Trafimet torch, the swirl ring could be put in either way so the swirl direction could be changed and thus the taper side changed. Having said that there was not a lot of difference between sides for some reason.

20. barking mat

What @Hood said.

Yep, my swirl ring can be swapped upside down.

Didn't realise that affected it, interesting...

Advertisements