South Bend Heavy 10

1. Bill Edwards Member

Out of curiosity, what sort of money is required to regrind a bed?

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

It's like shopping in those places where they don't put prices on stuff Bill.

Dieselkid 63, Parm and indy4x like this.
  3. zx9

zx9 Member

So as much as they think you are prepared to pay, a decision based on the cost of your watch plus three and a half times that of your shoes.

4. Pete.

Pete. Member

I wish. You can't get Reebok classics any more but they aren't that valuable :D

No point in me giving the price because 1. the guy's retiring and selling up, he did say it to Keith66 and now to me he's said he's absolutely not taking on any more work and 2. I don't want to think about the total and I certainly don't want the missus finding it out.

I'll say this - the Cataract is a simple job and that was more than I thought it would be. The HLV was double the cost of the Cataract and the South Bend was half as much again as the HLV.

The South Bend is particularly expensive because of the double-vee bed so he has to grind the saddle ways first then grind the bed to suit the ways using blue to get a print on all four angles. He reckoned it was a day and a half's work doing just that one.

eLuSiVeMiTe, zx9 and Richard. like this.
  5. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

Where are you sending the bed for grinding Pete? Ive used Slideway Services in Nuneaton a couple of times now but last time I was there he said he was retiring.

6. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I had a M300 reground, by Slideway services a few yrs ago. Took 70thou off the bed, reground the underneath of the saddle and scraped in Turcite. Head and tailstock scraped in. Was about £750ish. Had a Tom Senior LV, reground about 3yrs ago. And thas was about the same cost.

A great shame if he is. Little surprise he was retiring 8yrs ago:laughing:. I asked him why he didnt employ an apprentice. Said he couldnt find anyone. Nice bloke, loves fishing on his boat in Ireland

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Pete. likes this.
  7. Pete.

Pete. Member

Yes it's Slideway Services. He's definitely retiring in a few weeks he's mullered his thumb pretty badly and battling on to get his work cleared up before shutting up shop.

We had a great chat about his fishing Kayaks. He's fished a lot near where I grew up in N Wales.

Brad93, Shox Dr and scottmk1 like this.
  8. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

I was going to get my Bridgeport done but there was no way I could have got it stripped and down to him.

9. Bill Edwards Member

Ah...

It's certainly a fair few quid, but to think that it'll then be as good as new and divide the cost by how many years it'll last and it's maybe not so bad.

Finding a decent apprentice these days seems to be like trying to find hens teeth.

10. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Should be better than, its had 20yrs to releive the stresses in the bed

11. Pete.

Pete. Member

I decided not to try to reproduce the tags myself but sent a scan off to a guy in the States.

old sb tags.jpg

And I received these in the post today. They weren't exactly cheap but they sure are nicely done. They'll set the machine off nicely in fact I think I'm going to have to up my game on the painting front.

new sb tags.jpg

Mattuk, dobbslc, spencer 427 and 10 others like this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost. Be interested myself.

13. Pete.

Pete. Member

You have a South Bend? I don't know that he does plates for any other type.

Anyway, they were all different prices but between $25- $40 apiece. Bit of an indulgence but what the hell.

Parm, zx9, eLuSiVeMiTe and 3 others like this.
  14. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Very nice indeed Pete!

15. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

The plates look great Pete I'm sure they will finish off the lathe nicely.

16. Pete.

Pete. Member

Also got news today that the grinding is done on the bed and apron ways so I'll be collecting that on Saturday (along with the HLV bed and the Cataract too). He said he took off a total of 24 thou mostly from the saddle. I didn't think the bed was worn much and it wasn't, but typically the majority of the wear was on the saddle's underside ways. Important to ask how much was removed because now I know how much to shim the gearbox and leadscrew bearing down to keep it all aligned with the apron's half-nuts and worm gear.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  17. eLuSiVeMiTe

Nope didn't realise he was sb only.

18. Pete.

Pete. Member

Yeah I just realised my post suggested that he reproduced them from the scans, sorry about that. He has a sideline doing SB plates. The sizes differed over the years and models slightly so the dimensioned scans were to make sure I got plates that fit the original rivet holes.

I can ask him if you like though.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  19. eLuSiVeMiTe

Would be good to know. Sure there's a few on here that would be interested too.

They look smart and far better than I'd do with my limited time.

20. zx9

zx9 Member

If you think it as an hourly rate $40 per plate is not a lot.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
Advertisements