Show us your lathe

1. -Matt- Member

I'll join in :) I've only a small workshop and it has to contend with both wood and metal so only small stuff here.
    Small Perris lathe, my first, I don't use this any more because it doesn't run very well
    FinishedCleaning1.jpg

I then got this little Chester Cobra, same as a Sieg C1 Micro. Runs quite nicely but not very featuresome. Currently shelved.
    20161105_162324.jpg

The above was replaced with this, Sieg C2A which is my current model and should do everything I need at the moment. I wish I had space for a larger floor standing model, but not yet.
    Axylathe.jpg

And for fun, first ever spinning device, which is my Record wood lathe. Ancient photo of when I'd just finished the stand.
    Finishedish.jpg

spencer 427, indy4x, glyn.c and 6 others like this.
  2. pondy

pondy Member

picked up this, its a drummond type b, its in fair nick, everything moves just sticky, the change over gears are missing which i think is fairly normal for these, it came witj a box of stuff which to be honest most of its no good to me so will go on ebay, a few bits i have no idea what they are so may have a thread asking about those.
    motor needs work, wiring is all crispy and not surprisingly pops the breaker when i plug it in, didn't even get to turn the switch on? there is some play in the headstock bearings which i hope are adjustable. plan is to clean paint etc and sort out a drive setup with a counter shaft and a way of tension both belts, also what speed should i spin this at?
    is a quick change tool post an option for this old girl, lots of cheap ones on ebay?

DSC_0893.JPG DSC_0894.JPG DSC_0895.JPG DSC_0896.JPG DSC_0897.JPG DSC_0898.JPG DSC_0899.JPG

3. Beeezer Member

On this Drummond on the tailstock there's a little pip on the top that stops it spinning, any idea where I could get one from?

4. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

Make one...when i was an apprentice we had a few old lathes with similar tail stocks, the 'pips' would break occasionally so the aplrentices were tasked with making batches of spares.

Beeezer likes this.
  5. Beeezer Member

I expected that reply, it's on my list of jobs, just need to get the 3 jaw chuck that's on her centred up proving very tricky for a novice lathe user!!

6. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

@ Pondy, has the makings of a useful small lathe once it's sorted. At my first house, my next door neighbour had one of these in his shed -he did some really good work on it.

Looks like you would need the banjo casting which rotates on the leadscrew axis as well as some changewheels to get the longitudinal/screwcutting feed to work.

7. phm87 Member

I have 2 other lathes as well as the Holbrook, both Weilers, the small one is a Matador, the other a LZ330, both fantastic lathes, I am the second owner and have the original paperwork from the first owner ( a university).
    As you can see, the garage is a tad full at the moment, somewhere there is also a Harrison vertical mill and a Meddings pillar drill.:thumbup: Holbrook 011.JPG Holbrook 011.JPG Holbrook 011.JPG

8. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

That's just greedy! :laughing:

phm87 and decca like this.
  9. decca

decca Forum Supporter

If you need to make some room just let me know.:thumbup:

phm87 likes this.
  10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

How do you get any work done in there? ;)

11. phm87 Member

The work is the restoration of the Holbrook at the moment, a 2 year job if I`m lucky?
    The Matodor and possibly the LZ330 will be out the door soon, I need the room, anyway I would rather have a Holbrook Minor.
    I have thought of moving to a small house with a huge workshop!

Hopefuldave, indy4x, pondy and 2 others like this.
  12. pondy

pondy Member

thanks, i brought it on a whim, it popped up on ebay about 10 miles from me, i dont know what to do with it yet, i stripped it down and cleaned it in parts washer it's on good nick but has two issues o don't know how to tackle, the lead screw nut is worn, it has sections of the thread missing, the headstock bearings are worn and out of adjustment but still have play, i stripped the motor and its shot.

i could probably get a motor cheap on ebay if i keep looking, probably got enough metal to make a stand And h frame for counter shaft, get some belts and basic tooling but after all that im left with a lathe that's worn out, then again what did i expect for something 100 years old, it will however be used once in a blue moon sort of thing, handy to have. i dont know weather to cut my losses now snd stick it back on ebay or keep at it

13. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Oggled this thread for too long, now I can join in the fun. My pocket is $500 lighter and 343kg heavier - I've bought a 1975 Colchester Bantam Mk1

[​IMG]

This is one of the few images I have of it complete as a unit, it's currently in bits all over my garage floor. There's a restoration thread on here if you want to follow progress. The aim is to get it mechanically sound, and by then I anticipate I will have enough saved for three phase conversion electrics.

14. arceyered Member

My lathe needs a bit of sorting out but will suit my needs .
    It is a Murad Bormilathe the head stock and tail stock are movable to allow for boring milling etc

• l1.jpg
    • l3.jpg
  15. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Wow, it's like a little baby horizontal boring machine, that's awesome:clapping:.

16. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Very interesting machine. Obviously not going to be the most rigid machine out there but it would be very versatile and you could do a lot of nice stuff just by taking things easy.

17. Windy Miller Semi-Professional Potterer!

That's a very interesting little machine there. Loving the flexible drive to the electric powerfeed! I'd like to see more pics of it.

Gwil likes this.
  18. arceyered Member

That as all been stripped off as it was a botch up. Two hand made banjo's and a set of change gears later I actually cut two 48 tooth gears one at 16 DP and on at 14 DP using the ability of the head stock to move up an down vertically .
    They are the two on the left in picture the three holes are there to allow me to use the three jaw chuck , the chuck was stuck on fast so I wanted to set up the lead screw to 8TPI so I could cut another back plate if I had to cut It off , made a spindle locking mandrel and have now removed the chuck and refitted with a paper washer
    It is quite rigid in operation as the head stock can be locked in position with two locking pins, was it a good find for me you bet.

• DSCF0154.JPG
  19. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I think most people would like it especially if they were short of room as it would definitely be a lot more sturdy than the normal vertical slide you often see on a small lathe for light milling.

Richard. likes this.
  20. Matthew76 Member

Would anyone know anything about this lathe at all please? Only photos I have at the moment as didn't want to seem to keen incase price went up. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about lathes but want to learn. Thanks

• IMG_1217.JPG
    • IMG_1218.JPG
    spencer 427 likes this.
Advertisements