Show us your lathe

1. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

That's looking smart Andy. A wood lathe is on my list for next year.

brewdexta likes this.
  2. Turbo Member

Nice work Andy! It's good to know you can get that paint from rustoleum. I was refurbing a meddings drill & needed that blue/green hammered paint. Hammerite used to do it but it's been discontinued! Eventually found some old stock in a paint shop.

brewdexta likes this.
  3. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

I was looking at a Harrison grinder, same body as the lathe headstock but with two wheels fitted. Lovely machine, just too far away and $350 is pricey.

4. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

That is looking awesome Andy, really nice job. I'm looking for that same colour of hammered finish to paint my new-to-me 6x4 bandsaw - what colour of Rustoleum is it exactly - does it have a name?

brewdexta likes this.
  5. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    It's a bit of a gobful, rustoleum combicolor hammertone light blue, the aerosols are great, you can put it on quite thick and it is difficult to provoke a run, and apply it down to 5c. I too plan to use it on a meddings drill.

Crater Creator and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Aye it's good stuff (weird shaped can). I used it to restore these little drawers.

• 21682465_273437009816894_1569004579_o.jpg
    • 21684436_273401699820425_1161494559_o.jpg
  7. Perry Owens

Perry Owens Member

Surrey,UK
    This is how the M-DRO kit is fitted to my Super 7.
    The two outer rear saddle bolts are replaced by studs, which hold two flat brackets.
    DSCN1071a.jpg

DSCN1083a.jpg

These brackets support an aluminium profile, fixed with T-nuts and bolts. A vertical plate fixed to the profile supports the carriage travel read head on an L bracket
    The saddle travel magnetic strip is fixed using the existing taper turning fixture mounting holes. It is covered by a stainless steel strip with rubber seals and the whole thing is covered by a J-shaped strip.
    DSCN1074a.jpg

The cross slide read head is held on L brackets off the top of the profile. The cross slide magnetic strip is fixed to an L shaped piece fixed to the top slide via T-nuts in the slots, leaving room to get a spanner on the saddle lock.

DSCN1072a.jpg

The only drilling I had to do was to drill out two 4mm holes in one bracket and tap them to 5mm. This is the control panel - it's in an aluminium case.

DSCN1079a.jpg

addjunkie, Hood, eLuSiVeMiTe and 6 others like this.
  8. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

Great, thanks, now got a couple of cans ordered off the interwebs.
    I'll have to wait for summer until we see +5 degrees here though....:laughing:
    I'm planning making a SHS stand for the wee bandsaw to replace the woeful pressed steel one it comes with, and the saw itself could do with a bit of a tart up - I'll post pics when I get it done probably around Xmas.
    If it comes out with as good a finish as your lathe I'll be well chuffed.

slim_boy_fat and brewdexta like this.
  9. Turbo Member

I made a shs stand for my saw with 2 wheels at the back & one leg at the front so that it will sit on my uneven floors without rocking. I'll try & take a photo & put it in the bandsaw thread.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. johnny7 Member

Some lovely gear in this thread!!

Here's mine, I sorta have a small collection of lathes and no room to set them up!! :doh:

Granville Senior that I acquired in a trade, I swapped a woodlathe (Record DML24) and met the gent halfeway (Deby), This machine came froma small college apparently, When it closed, The tutor got his pick of the lathes, This one was in the best condition, There's no slack in anything at all!!
    [​IMG]

Bought this Myford 7 a few years ago, As with the Granville, No slop anywhere, I think this was recently overhauled it's so good!
    [​IMG]

This is the most worn out machine I have and it's the only one that's set up!! :ashamed:
    It's a Faircut Senior, Described on the Lathes resource as being made by Hendersons of Sheffield- Now saucemakers!! For anyone that knows what Hendersons Relish is, They made it!! :laughing:
    [​IMG]

This is a roundbed Wade, The screws are right hand thread rather than left so the feed works in the opposite direction, Easy to forget when backing the tool off and actually ramming the tool in to the workpiece :(
    [​IMG]

Top one is a Flexispeed 7, This suffers the wrong way threads like the Wade, Bottom is a Super Adept, These are micro lathes, The Adept has the correct left hand threads so works as they should!
    [​IMG]

Another Micro lathe but it's actually several machines in one supposedly, I've never bothered to set it up!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a Centrix woodlathe, It came with a motor that was huge!!, There was no matching pulleycome though, It's cast aluminium with hardened steel inserts in the bed!!
    [​IMG]

This is a Coronet woodlathe head, No tailstock, Rest or other bits! I was gound to get the bars from work if I ever found a tailstock but forgott to put a search on fleabay!!

I actually bought it for the half 'oss motor and switchgear originally!!
    [​IMG]

John :thumbup:

spencer 427, dazza, optima21 and 7 others like this.
  11. Pete.

Pete. Member

I also bought one of those Coronet lathes for the motor. I kept the cast iron bits for ages and ages but never found a use for them so I threw them in the scrap. One of the bed bars got sacrificed for a make-do jackhammer point extension when I was working away in Jersey.

johnny7 likes this.
  12. MattF

MattF Member

Wasn't a Coronet Major was it? I'd love to get my hands on one of those, someday. Always seem to be wanting silly money on Ebay though.

13. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Dragging up an old one here....lots of bits with it, chucks, faceplates, dividing head, vertical slide... Looking forwards to getting to grips with it and doing some metal turning a little more refined than the occasional bit I do on the Mascot at work.

• 20180701_120551.jpg
    Shox Dr, zx9, MattF and 9 others like this.
  14. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

New to you or just to the thread? Very clean looking, looks almost new full stop!

15. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    It's new to me. Certainly has been looked after.

brightspark likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

a very good investment if the price was right I remember my brother buying one new paid £800 for it:)

17. Richard.

Richard. Member

Doubt that will of been anywhere near £800. New version s7 with power cross feed and gear box and all those extras.
    I reckon it was closer to 3k.

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

it was 50 years ago the only thing was then it never had power cross feed no great hardship unless you do a lot of facing up it has the gearbox and all the gear . the prices were going up by the month and doubled in 2 years I bought an ml7 new for 600 quid

Richard. and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  19. daleyd

daleyd Member

£800 in 1968 is worth £13000 ish now so it doesn’t sound a great bargain tbh...

20. Richard.

Richard. Member

My ml10 was also £600. Not as beefy as a 7 but not too bad a price given what came with it.

Advertisements