Show us your bench vice(s)

1. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

Heads Up !

There is an interesting looking offset steel vice currently on the Bay, cheap !. Item # 163793689665 Collection only in Rhyl, too far away for me. :(

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. Arc Tourist

Arrived today. :)

• PICT0001 (Medium).JPG
  3. Arc Tourist

An older model Record Auto Vice. Looks rough, but is unabused, just tons of patina, and no noticeable side play between the jaws or backlash in the screw. Needs a good cleaning though. I am impressed by the quality of these older Record vice's.
    . PICT0002 (Medium).JPG PICT0003 (Medium).JPG

SteveB58 and Turbo like this.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Another nice little Record "0"

Not had much use just a lot of neglect. A candidate for the citric acid bath I reckon, once the weather lets up that is :(

20190923_160354.jpg 20190923_160402.jpg

Arc Tourist likes this.
  5. Arc Tourist

Yeah, the Record No.0 is a nice little vice. I was going to put mine on an articulated ball mount, but it was just a little too heavy for it. The vice does seem the perfect size to have attached to a wooden top on a roll cab though.

6. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

When I got it it was attached to a dexion shelf :vsad:

The 00 I should think is perfect for a swivel.

7. Turbo Member

If you use citric acid on that you will lose all the patina plus the remains of the gold label. I recently restored one in similar condition & I used a brass wire brush on a drill to remove the rust but not harm the paint. I finished it with wax & it turned out rather nice.

P1050648.JPG

fizzy, Seadog and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. SteveB58 Member

This is a useful little vice. It is made for Stewmac an American company who make bits and tools for luthiers. It is designed to hold material when making and shaping nuts or saddles for guitars. The tall jaws make it easier to get to the job. I hold mine in a larger bench vice and it has proved to be a very useful piece of kit over the years. I also use it when making keys for locks or if fiddly small things need to be worked on. DSC_0035.JPG

slim_boy_fat and Arc Tourist like this.
  9. Arc Tourist

Good idea, nice modification to a drill press vise. :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Perry Owens

Perry Owens Member

Surrey,UK
    Just rescued this sad little Record #3 from my late father in law's shed. I already have two Record 22s so don't need it but I'm sure I can find someone to love it once I've smartened it up.
    Record 3.jpg

fizzy, Arc Tourist, mpats and 2 others like this.
  11. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Recently acquired by me.

Both will be restored and used.

IMG_0421.JPG

Nice little vice.

Stiff to use, but a bit off oil had it moving.

IMG_0412.JPG

This one will be a joy to restore, baby version of my other woodworking vice.

DSCN2324.JPG

12. dannysheff Member

What is this un-named vice for?

Two identical in the workshops of a wood and metal craftsman, who sadly cannot tell us by reason of dementia.
    His workshops were immaculate, so I bought the vice from family and put it in my overcrowded greenhouse where the workshop is gaining on my wife's potting bench and suitably tool filled as you see.
    Although not really a welder, I hope to qualify for this forum by putting the mystery vice on my Record no 2, with a Dohm for company

P1000774t.JPG

13. dannysheff Member

T P1000775t.JPG P1000770t.JPG
    Another couple of pix - had to stop previous post in a hurry as laptop running out of weld gas.
    The jaws are 4" square, the 'bodies' front and back seem to be very high quality steel castings, the back jaw has 4 mounting holes countersunk on the inside, the two longer rear bosses are in two parts - casting and then extension with flats and hole (as shown with bolts and bracket as acquired), The machining is very good - no play. The front has a large slot with thumbscrew which had a length of hardwood within as bought..
    There was nothing else in the workshop which seemed to go with this, except another just the same.

More generally - I am new to this forum but already have several vices in workshops in cellar, allotment and greenhouse, and benches suitably overcrowded with tools (more woodwork than metal).

Arc Tourist, Turbo and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. Turbo Member

First of all, welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

Don't worry about not being a welder, we will soon convert you! :D Seriously though, what started out as a welding forum now covers woodwork, car maintenance & many different things so something to interest most folk.

The red vice looks like some sort of wood vice but I'm not sure how it mounts.

I'm thinking it mounts sideways, the 2 large bolts bolt up through the bottom of the bench & you screw the back jaw to the side of the bench via the csk holes. The slot holds the hardwood dog to clamp long pieces along the bench. It's main use will be holding vertical stuff due to the way the jaws will sit.

I'm interested in more pics of the dohm vice, never saw one that small! I have a larger one under restoration.

fizzy and dannysheff like this.
  15. Laurie Tedcastle Member

Fortis offset jaw quick release vice purchased new in 1968.

blob.jpg

2nd picture shows the standard quick release spring. Tensioning the spring
    after the 1st turn is difficult and can only be done in complete turns.
    If insuficient tension is applied, the vice screw nut can jump a thread. The
    spring is now probably a bit weak and needs a little more than 2 turns. I seem
    to recall @MattF commenting on Fortis assembly a long time ago. I do wonder
    how they tensioned the springs in the factory.

blob.jpg

3rd picture (from the other side) shows the spring connection to the nut
    operating bar.

blob.jpg

Decided to copy the arrangement on my Record 24. 4th picture shows the setup,
    on my mill, to machine the serrated adjuster.

blob.jpg

5th picture - installed and working. Now easy to tension. Spring is coil
    bound, so a bit of modification will be needed at some point in the future.

blob.jpg

Laurie

16. Scruffywelder

Scruffywelder Member

Saw one at the Cumbria Steam Gathering at Flookburgh about 6 or 7 years ago. It was identical but labelled as a Dohm-Wilson. Think the seller wanted £175 for it so it didn't follow me home :(

I also have a big old Dohm-esque vice that I posted up earlier in the thread (also awaiting resto).

17. Arellcat

Arellcat New Member

I may have spent more time than is good for me reading a lot of this thread, and finally got around to posting. Hello! Newbie here. I'll post later in the appropriate sub-forum for a better introduction.

When I moved house, in the garage I found a rather horrible sideboard with makeshift workbench top that I got rid of. But bolted to the bench top was a rather neat Paramo vice that I definitely didn't get rid of. I've cleaned it a bit and oiled it, and it's very sweet. But, I haven't seen another quite like it! Can anyone tell me which model it is, and how old?

It's superficially similar to a No. 00 or a No. 0, with a bevelled slider that has a sort of tapered end, and the jaws are 3 inches wide. But the logo is rather plain, and different from other Paramos I've seen:

[​IMG]

The oil hole is hidden behind the logo. The base is a solid casting, but with only two mounting holes. Where you'd expect the third hole is just a small machined pad. On top, behind the fixed jaw the casting has a noticeable bump to it as it slopes down. And on the left-hand side there are no numbers or letters at all!

[​IMG]

David O'Toole and fizzy like this.
  18. Arellcat

Arellcat New Member

Here it is in context:

[​IMG]

fizzy and Arc Tourist like this.
  19. Arc Tourist

Hello, and Welcome to the forum !

Yes, I also spent "more time than is good" reading through this thread when I first joined the Mig Welding Forum. I had several vices, but then got the bug for more; so I seem to have started a collection which is something I don't do; but hey, why not, they are great tools to have. :)

20. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

'Tis a dangerous place. I've ended up with more vices than I could use in several lifetimes :vsad:

fizzy, FR518, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
Advertisements