Show us your bench vice(s)

1. SteveB58 Member

Even then, when you think you need no more, something comes along that you just have to have.
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

2. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Yeah, me too. :laughing:

Before I fixed my camera I bought this Record IMP Vice after reading reading reviews following the purchase of an early vintage 74 Auto Vice. I agree with the reviews that the IMP is a very nice quality vice, and perfect for clamping to a table or bench; but I think I prefer the Record No. 0 that I refurbished and painted green, as it is substantially over built for its small size. :)
    . PICT0006 (Medium).JPG PICT0005 (Medium).JPG

3. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Another day and another bench vice I don't really need, but was interesting enough to take a punt; its an unusual one for sure. Saw this on the "bay" and noticed the remaining wood jaw looked old enough for it to be a quality item. Wasn't sure, but thought it might be pot metal judging by the chrome plated handles, but they are actually steel, and fortunately the rest of the vice is cast iron. :)

The vice is on a ball mounted base with (45mm) wide jaws that open up to (60mm) and is (180mm) tall. New copper or brass jaws with an attachment point for a ground or positive connection should make this a handy position tool for some welding jobs. Here are some photos, and one with a Record IMP vice for size comparison.
    . PICT0002 (Medium).JPG PICT0003 (Medium).JPG PICT0004 (Medium).JPG PICT0005 (Medium).JPG PICT0006 (Medium).JPG

Turbo, Farside and dobbslc like this.
  4. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

Just acquired another vice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Ooooh, Nice ! :thumbup:

Recently I acquired an early vintage Auto Vice like yours, and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the jaw design, build quality, and how smooth it operated with no noticeable side motion in the jaws; its definitely become my overall favourite vice.

I wasn't so lucky, but were you fortunate that your vice still has the removable pipe jaw ?
    . PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

SteveB58, dobbslc and Rannsachair like this.
  6. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

unfortunately missing.

slim_boy_fat and SteveB58 like this.
  7. SteveB58 Member

I've three of these in various states of repair. They are great vices and will take a lot of abuse. I've a 75 too, slightly larger and another super vice.

Arc Tourist likes this.
  8. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

One of my 74's
    DSCN3798.JPG

One I restored for a friend to his requirements.

SAM_2201.JPG

Another one of mine, wait a cheep donor to supply parts.
    DSCN2293.JPG

Finally My Imp.

DSCN1178.JPG

9. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

IMG_1248.JPG

My new "heavy duty Vice."

Arc Tourist and Rannsachair like this.
Advertisements