Show us your bench vice(s)

1. SteveB58 Member

Apologies, wrote without the glasses on, saw report thought it was Robert. Good to know that there is some age to the vice, it could be replacing my rather venerable Peter Wright.

2. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Another couple of vices ticked off, these are a part of the same job lot.

Record No1 (on the orange board) and a Record No00 in my hand. Still to go is the monster No6 and the No3. I’m also receiving a No2 tonight when I deliver the 00.

• 611E8027-8221-463F-A55C-0DFE80C8EED8.jpeg
    • BB52EAF4-26B3-4E74-B540-B925ED0404D9.jpeg
    Memmeddu, Turbo, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  3. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Ahhh! It’s had a baby vice.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Dieselkid 63

Mummy, (half of) daddy and baby :D

• 00DE7653-BFFE-442B-9153-73D22445A471.jpeg
    Turbo, slim_boy_fat and Seadog like this.
  5. Dieselkid 63

The first three I’ve restored all lined up at the customer’s house. I picked up a very crusty No2 off him last night, one owner since new - the guy he bought it from was 85. I’m trying to outshop one a week, this week it’s the No6, you get a lot of vice there!

• A54867D5-2CA2-47FA-A1F7-7ABDDE1C1DE5.jpeg
    Arc Tourist and Maker like this.
  6. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I've never seen a 00 before, that's awesome. How wide are the jaws?

7. Turbo Member

Our Men's Shed were donated some tools by an old lady clearing out her late husbands shed. Among them were a Record No 1, a cobblers last & a 10lb sledge head.

P1050640.JPG

The blue paint on the vice was fairly good but it had white emulsion splattered on it. After some experimentation I settled on using a rotary brass wire brush on a drill to remove the paint & rust. It left the original blue paint mostly intact. On the bare metal parts I used a knotted wire wheel on a grinder. The screw & nut were removed, cleaned & oiled. Finally it was all given a coat of beeswax polish.

P1050648.JPG

Turned out rather nicely, I've a few more vices to restore & I will likely use this method as it removes the rust but preserves the patina. :cool: Plus it's a lot quicker, easier & less messy than electrolysis & painting! ;)

P1050650.JPG

Here is the sledge head alongside a 7lb I cleaned up.

8. Dieselkid 63

2”! Three times smaller than the No6 which has 6” jaws.

Maker likes this.
  9. Dieselkid 63

Another one done, this time the mighty Record No6.

• 6BBDB642-48C7-47B6-A778-C320966CEE0E.jpeg
    • 8ACD5ADB-148E-49E7-BE85-F2856C5BCCC4.jpeg
    Arc Tourist likes this.
  10. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

DSCN1801.JPG DSCN1800.JPG

Got this yesterday.

Had a quick play. But paid full price for it, the dealer would not haggle. £30.

But It meant I did haggle harder on the other items.

11. Mr Fixer

Mr Fixer Member

A fine piece of engineering!

12. sdhuk New Member

What was the colour you used? I really like it. It's.a bit different to the original 'roundel blue' I think.

Thanks.

13. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

I think I'm allergic to this topic. This thread seems to bring out an itch to look for another vise/vice that one doesn't need. Its an itch I've had to scratch twice this month with one vise coming from overseas and another vice from here in the UK. Hopefully they will both be here in the next couple of weeks.

Gragson likes this.
  14. Dieselkid 63

The No3 and No2 were in a comparable condition when received, now the No3 is done.

Still to go is of course the No2 and a No24. I think I have a No5 coming as well. This has turned into a nice little earner!

• E2C37F33-B9AD-472E-A313-7D447168F068.jpeg
  15. Arc Tourist

Today I was lucky to chase down a parcel delivered to the wrong street, my parcel !
    Inside I was happy to find my undamaged purchase from overseas, a vintage Columbian Gyro-Vise. :)
    Don't think I'm going to paint this one, only clean up the unpainted areas with a wire wheel.
    . PICT0002 (Medium).JPG PICT0005 (Medium).JPG PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

slim_boy_fat and Memmeddu like this.
  16. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Very nice and strange

17. SteveB58 Member

Had one of these for a while but in green also known as the parrot vice due to how it stands. Can be used in two orientations straight up, as pictured or at 90 degrees. Good vice. I use mine when repairing guitars as you can hold awkward shaped items easily. Sharpe edges need filling down on it and not in use everyday Have a look here to see how it can be used in guitar repair. http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/ProductReviews/Tools/ParrotVise/parrotvise.html.

Arc Tourist likes this.
  18. Arc Tourist

I bought this for nostalgia reasons as I remember using one a long time ago and I really liked it, but didn't have the money to buy one at the time even though they weren't expensive. These vise's were favoured by gunsmiths and wood workers, and were originally made by the Will-Burt company, which was bought by the Columbian vise Company.
    The vise has a narrow profile with 3 1/2" wide jaws and a 5" opening capacity and can be rotated 360 degrees. It's removable by just lifting it off its base and can quickly be positioned in a horizontally if desired. When the jaws are closed on an object, they instantly lock the vise from rotating on the base; the locking toggle can be seen in the last photo.
    A similar import, called a "parrot vice" is currently available, but apparently the screw and nut have a tendency to strip out rather quickly.
    . PICT0002 (Medium).JPG PICT0003 (Medium).JPG PICT0005 (Medium).JPG PICT0004 (Medium).JPG PICT0006 (Medium).JPG

jenki, slim_boy_fat and Memmeddu like this.
  19. spencer 427 Member

That's a nice vice

20. Arc Tourist

Yes, like you say, they can hold awkward shapes easily. I would have liked to have got one of the tall jaw vises, but the one I have was hard enough to find at a reasonable price and fortunately also in very good condition. Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

Advertisements