scrapping titanium

1. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

A friend of mine made some Cupro-Nickel pattern “Damascus”. Bloody hard and cost a fair bit for the nickel sheet!

mike os likes this.
  2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

ICI titanium plant used to make test "buttons" from each batch of Titanium sponge in our labs, Each button was around two inches diameter and five eighths thick, but it had a rounded bottom side from the shape of the copper crucible that it was made in, there was always half a barrel of "scrap" buttons that the lads made rings and other small items from.I worked on the Titanium plant for seventeen years on the maintenance squad, Very interesting and quite a simple process.

3. selectedgrub

selectedgrub Member

They were a major sponsor of Judas priest.

[​IMG]

ronan and Ali like this.
  4. winchman

winchman Member

I did hear a tale of a bloke who would photograph something in work, stick it on Ebay, when sold he would box it up and get the post room to sent it out!

truckdoctor, ronan, Wallace and 3 others like this.
  5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

A mate of mine that does a lot of turning gets good money for Ti swarf, he fills up builders bags with it and it’s identified with a hand held fancy gun.Why does the kin spell checker think I want to spell scarf, is swarf not a proper word:dontknow:

Bob

ronan, Maker and James1979 like this.
  6. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    My first job was at Thames marine assembling yachts, I was amazed at the amount of thieving that went on. One bloke used to build small yacht tenders as a sideline, one of the moulders nicked barrels of resin & gel (45 gallon drums) The fibreglass cutter would cut all the chopped strand mat for him, All the wood & screws came out the stores, He just put them together about 5 a week & sold them at £95 a pop so three of them at it for about 20 years.
    The big firm next door who built catamarans had similar scams running, this went all the way to the top. A local moulding firm had the contract to turn out mouldings for these boats, One day he says to the works manager, "We have done well this year , done 37 sets of mouldings for the new boat" The other replies "No it was only 32". It turned out that 5 complete sets of hull & deck mouldings, interiors, joinery, engines, masts sails, the lot, had simply disapeared. It turned out that a shadow factory had been set up ten miles away on a farm & a trusted crew built 5 new boats a year for each directors "bonus". It went on for years. Trouble was they kept going skint winding it all up then reopening after doing musical chairs with the directors. In the end nobody would supply them as they had ripped so many creditors off. Then went bust for good!

ronan, Wallace and winchman like this.
  7. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I used to keep mine, I was going to sell it on ebay to the folk that like playing at bear grylls, it catches fire really easily. So easily it all went up with sparks from my grinder luckily it was contained because it burns hot a bit like magnesium :laughing:

ronan, Wallace, Mr Roo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    Some of the employees of a mates company set up a shadow firm with a similar name in farm buildings nearby, they would make stuff weekends and evenings and even go off sick from his company to work there.

His trusted sales man/manager diverted work to the shadow firm, telling customers that the real company had too much work to handle.

All the tools to set it up and materials were booked to the real one but delivered to the fake one.

It only came to light when the manager was away and called about an order that hadn't gone through the books.

Mate was really kind and good to his staff, maybe too much so, their dishonesty was a big factor in why he went bust!

When that happened his wife ran off with the manager and the shadow firm carried on for a while!

Wallace and fizzy like this.
  9. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Show me some you've made, even copper or brass or are you just reading off the internet? Mokume is more like brazing compared to damascus being more like welding, and while i'm not ruling out the possibility of making ti mokume I reckon if you can you'd need more pressure or explosives than any of us have got in our garages.

10. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I know what it's called, the linishers at work make short work of ti and to be honest I was half thinking of leaving it on and drilling it to make a raindrop pattern. The ti powder i've got is really fine so there shouldn't be much air in. Funnily it's really easy to get ti powder in the uk, but so far i've struggled to buy a decent high carbon steel powder. I'm not sure why the yanks can get it so easily.

11. James1979 Forum Supporter

There used to be a lot of ‘cottage industry’ in the North Sea at one time. I know blokes who’ve had gates, railings, stairs and god knows what made on platforms and sent back in containers on supply boats. Some even then managed to get painted at the firms expense. I don’t know why these idiots insist on cutting their own throats

fizzy likes this.
  12. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

Well if you ever go again you can walk to my house from there, head NNW for about two miles across the fields! or you could just drive like normal people, pop in for a cup of tea!

ronan and Parm like this.
  13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London

Calm down dear, we've all been wrong at one time or another, no need to take it out on me.

I know at least four things about Mokume gane:

1. It exists as a technique for pattern metal forming
    2. It is similar to the pattern welding process people erroneously refer to as "damascus"
    3. It is distinct from pattern welding steel in that it typically involves non ferrous metals
    4. You can form Mokume gane from titanium

So really, I only know one more thing than you.

:D

Mr Roo and mike os like this.
  14. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Whats the one thing?????
    if it's that you can make mokume titanium show me

15. Screwdriver

UK London

https://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-mokume-gane.html

HTH. I'll be honest though, I am surprised someone like you didn't know this was possible or are you now arguing on some semantic issue to save face?

16. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

When i was young i worked in plumbing trades and the scrap copper was left like rubbish, i had to keep jobs tidy as part of my job, at one point i had lots of hot water tanks filled with off cuts i made flat with a lump hammer, the guys i worked with were so well paid they only took the new copper home.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  17. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I asked you too show me how you've done it, you often preach, but rarely show anything of your own. The first video is copper and nickel silver, the second might be titanium probably with silver, but it doesn't show the process, i've still been talking about joining different grades of ti.

Bullet2012 likes this.
  18. Screwdriver

UK London
    No. I said:

To which you incorrectly state:

That's all there is to it. You were wrong, suck it up and move on.

If I say man has walked on the moon and you tell me it's not correct, I don't need to be a frickin' astronaut to put you right. Now I get into enough trouble merely stating factual information like this so I'm just going to have to let you argue with yourself.

Mr Roo and Seadog like this.
  19. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Old Screwdriver making more friends :clapping::clapping::clapping:

20. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

And the old classic, That actually happened when I was an apprentice, one of the fitters (syd Henderson) was buying old fire brick material from the furnaces with a note giving permission to remove from the sight,, The steel works had houses right up to the works gates, So he was wheeling a barrow out through the works gates on a regular basis, What he was really doing was stealing and selling the barrows.

ronan, Ruffian, Wallace and 2 others like this.
Advertisements