Roof chopped BMW mini cooper S

1. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Well I still feel like I do have something to be ashamed about. However I had never done any GRP till I started this car, I had never done many things and I am so glad I have now. Do need to now finish this and have a bit of fun with it. The time has come to book time off work and do it (time is booked to only spend time on the car :)

2. lshigham Member

Hereford
    The man who never made any mistakes never made anything!

3. Cris B

Cris B Every day welding is a school day

^^^ What he said

You did set yourself quite a difficult first panel :)

Car is looking good. Will be great to see this get finished off!

4. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    So here we go,

Old roof off again
    [​IMG]

Oh God we are back here again...
    [​IMG]

Aluminium roof about to go on
    [​IMG]

Aluminium roof now bonded on
    [​IMG]

Look at the planishing on the inside
    [​IMG]

Crash beam cut out
    [​IMG]

Big plate and bar twin pass cooler about to be welded in
    [​IMG]

Only place left for the oil cooler which will have air ducted from the front and out through the wheel arch
    [​IMG]

Robotstar5 and brewdexta like this.
  5. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I bet you can't wait:clapping:

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I'm surprised you haven't fitted bonnet catches to hold the roof on, it's been on and off that many times :laughing:

Ashley Burton, norlander and rkde like this.
  7. Shox Dr

I burst out loud laughing when I read that:laughing:

8. KimB

KimB Member

It's looking great, I'm still so excited to see it completed.

9. cardiffrob Member

Are you going to polish the inside of the roof? Kinda like having a mirror on the ceiling of the bedroom.:whistle:

10. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

saucy :laughing:

rkde likes this.
  11. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Best quote I have seen in a while - This is the 4th roof if I include the original! I now know what to do and what not to do.
    I will sadly have to cover the roof in sound deadening as it will pant and drum which will drive me crazy so its going to get covered

Today;
    I had to make some changes to the blower outlet, I can already see I am going to have an issue finding a home for an electric fan :(
    [​IMG]
    Its now looking like a car though
    [​IMG]
    May have to do something with the metal around the blower pulley ~ its a tad close
    [​IMG]

12. bump Electricity is great!

Leicestershire / Northamptonshire boarder
    Looks like you need to do the same cut and box mod that was standard on fitting a 20XE into a Nova.

13. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Just a small update.

Thought I had an electrical fault so I pulled the whole car apart only to find it was a few dead cells in the battery giving some add results. Only took a day to sort it and stripping the interior back out meant I could do some other trimming jobs which would have been harder in the car.

Other news, radiator is in though it is a temporary unit for the time being, intercooler pipework is coming on well too, should have all the pipework finished for the end of Monday ready to stick fluids in and play

Decided that I hate alloy welding laying on the floor. I get there just I have to stop every inch to reposition myself ~ I do respect those who do this every day.

Lower intercooler pipe showing but it will be behind the grill
    [​IMG]

Intercooler pipe behind the radiator
    [​IMG]

Radiator brackets all made and in, I have started with a VW polo rad which is used in westfields but I plan to get another made at work which will be slightly bigger, this will do to get me running especially as its a twin pass core, just going to have to pass more coolant through and run the fans more often...
    [​IMG]

14. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Today has been more about the pipework, I cut off the bottom pipe and changed it to go in the top to try and keep all the heat at the top of the cooler, I then made all the pipework for the riser to the plenum. I really like the way that after removing the front end the rad and cooler all come off together so easily. I do however need to find a better way of release the pipe from the blower as that is quite a trick. at the moment you need to slide the silicone over the pipe and that allows the front to come off. This isn't ideal so I need a quick release system though I probably can just do that each time I want to remove it...

Pipe work taped into place while I worked with the angles

[​IMG]

Mostly welded up now, I can now spend the evening finishing and bracing all the pipes and front member. There is a lot of welding needed and I really do not like alloy welding any more :( I find the heat off aluminium cooks me and even with a TIG finger this work is too hot

[​IMG]

15. Shox Dr

I was only looking at the clamps you want. Give me a mo to find them on ebay

16. Shox Dr

I cant find them. Aero v band clamp, with two 12 point bolts, there were several sizes available for little money

17. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Thank you, I have also been looking at some clamps, I have found some which look OK but one pipe is stainless and the other is alloy - doh. I may have to draw something up and get it made. v band clips look like the way to go though

18. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    All the braces added and last plates welded in. The crash intercooler is now hanging about being painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Also today I added a port to the plenum, pleased with how its all come out. now to sit down and order any missing parts

[​IMG]

20. Shox Dr

That's a wild colour. What is it?

Advertisements