Roof chopped BMW mini cooper S

1. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Decided that with the costs of the windows I thought I would give it a go myself to drape form the lexan but in order to do that I needed to make a mould and that is what I did, this mould is only to give it a go and see if I can do the form but this is a wait and see test, if it works then great but if not then its only a small cost to find out. Looks possible...

[​IMG]

Started to make the guttering around the roof, fitted the side skirts, fitted one of the seats which did need some modification but its in there now. Got the rear bumper all fitted up with all the convertible bits fitted. Seam to have got little done during the day but its all the little modifications that just consume so much time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Good news!

The car finally came home at the start of the weekend, really pleased to see it back and have been able to spend a lot more time on it and will be able to do some work on it through the week.

[​IMG]

With the car home, I have been able to get everything I need installed in the engine bay and now that is ready for the engine to go in. I just need some strong lads to help me get it out the shed...

[​IMG]

Going to try and do a little bit every day but I think its only going to take me a few weeks to put it all together if I take my time and torque everything up as required.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. That is going to look sweet!

4. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Managed to get my callipers fitted today and I am so please with the new paint job on them also managed to put the vibra technic mount in but left the top loose until the engine is ready to go in - it looks stunning and I am so happy with all the little things which have been done today not that its been very productive...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Small but big update. The engine is finally in the car and while I need to add lots of bits to it I am really happy to see the car come together. Maybe soon we will see it really come to life... Its been long enough in the making!

[​IMG]

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

It's looking good :cool: are you going for a standard bonnet or something different, like tilt forward or lift-off?

7. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Cheers,

I did have a lift off bonnet but sold it to someone who needed it for their track car. At the moment I have a standard which I think I will use for the time being...

8. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Some days I question why I started this project when everything seams to be custom... Now I need to get the windows made, it's not really a surprise that the widows are custom but before the glass is made I needed to make templates of the glass. I had already made the fronts so this time I made the rears. Still got to trim the templates to size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
    Plenty of info required on your windows....this is the problem that stops a lot of roof chops !

You've done an amazing job

10. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Too hot today but I managed to get my roof lining foam installed, hated it! I'm covered in glue :(

On to more exciting news, I went around to get quotes for the exhaust system, I was shocked at the prices coming back for what is a basically a straight through exhaust so since I have done everything else on the car I thought I would just make the exhaust too so I went shopping...

Came back home with this and I plan to fit it over the next couple of weeks :)
    [​IMG]

11. rkde

I don't live to far away from Solihull, just wondered where you got the exhaust parts from

Car looking good now keep up the good work

12. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Popped over to MIJ. They make them on site and also get them in from China I guess but the parts are very well made and at a good cost. I did go there first to look at the quality to be sure and I am very pleased

13. Many thanks for that

MIJ is about 5 mile from me, never heard of them before

Cheers Peter

14. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Guys, its time for an update on everything;

* Operation on my back went really well and now I am in almost no pain and back to my full health again though I still need to take it easy for a little while before I think I can do what I used too. Really please and its fantastic not to be on all the drugs again.

* Moved into the new house and we are planning the new garage so will have to put up with the small unit here until this happens (2015)

* The car is now with a friend and is planned to be back with me for the end of the month give or take and he seams to be doing some really good work with it, wish I had just taken it to him at the very start as I would be driving it now...

While the car was in my garage I had some large issues with the roof, basically something fell from the roof and cracked the top carbon layer so again the roof had to be re-done, however this time I am glad to say my friend who is doing the work is a pro with this sort of thing and has got the roof to the best it has ever been.

~ First primer
    [​IMG]

~ Second primer ready for paint
    [​IMG]

I have also handed everything over that I wanted painting so that it is all done as I have had enough of body work on the car and now there are many things I would do differently knowing how much trouble body shops can

15. Epicyclic

Epicyclic Member

Excellent news at last Richard, especially on the back, lets hope 2014 will be even better...

16. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    thank you, I am really looking forward to the future again :)

Today brings another photo from the body shop of some of the other goodies being done

[​IMG]

17. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Oh my... More updates and I do not think I will be able to show my face in the body shop - that is a lot of stupid small components

[​IMG]

18. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Next week will be the final week on this bumper and then its all good, already looking stunning and soon to be awesome. Really glad I made this bumper

Peekaboo
    [​IMG]

19. cracker666

cracker666 Don't follow me I'm lost too.

Northants, UK
    Joeys lights lol

20. KimB

KimB Member

I've just stumbled across this thread, what an amazing build ! loved every page of it :D Can't wait to see it finished !

Advertisements