Roof chopped BMW mini cooper S

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

there well burnt back :ogot your moneys worth there :laughing:

2. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Ha, I did think I could squeeze a little more out of them :) I even thought about picking them back up to tack items into place. I want my mig back its been years since I have used and arc welder, love the smell of the rods but hate the slag and mess it makes

Got to say though I still think arc is the best type of welding to learn arc control and really get a feel for what is going on - that said I will get on the phone Monday and get my MIG fixed - then to order a box of rods as a back up should I need them in another few years

brightspark likes this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Top work on the Mini there! :thumbup: Did you serve an apprenticeship with the Project Binky boys? :D

4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    so what kind of horsepower are you hoping to get from the new and amazing looking turbo system?

wow...very cool workings!

JP

5. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

What’s your job? Who casts and mills a custom CAD supercharger manifold and then goes for a turbo?

Very impressive skills there mate! Outstanding results.

Should go like a greased weasel!

KimB and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    I wish, I've got a lot of respect for them, would love to do it for a living, maybe one day..

I'm a mechanical design engineer so have contacts but yeah I've wasted a lot of my time and money...

Now the power, well guys who've done similar conversions have about 400whp, I'm not really chasing those numbers and hope to see 350whp which is very conservative for that turbo

KimB and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Dont knock yourself @rkde it was always going to be a high learning curve build.
    Your attention to detail is beyond mate. :thumbup:

rkde and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Some sad news, I did say I wanted my parweld MIG repaired and back with me on the previous page, well it turns out I killed it... Transformer dead, speed control gone and something else on the board. Not great news. Found the receipt and realised I was only 23 months into a 24 month warranty - really pleased to say that Karl at Horton welding supplies has been great and has replaced my old XTM171C with an XTE181C with no quibble, new 2 year warranty and no cost to go from a 171 to the 181 so a really good outcome - I have the say this new range of XTE is so much smoother than the old XTM version - I am very happy

On to the mini!

With the turbo in place I have been working on making the parts and getting them powder coated, I am quite pleased with the outcome.
    [​IMG]

I then got it all installed with the new intercooler and got the turbo manifold all wrapped up to hopefully help prevent heat build up
    [​IMG]

Another view - I am very happy with it and it is now up and running. Lots still to do but I think other than another tune the engine is now done
    [​IMG]

Power wise the turbo I have used is quite small as I want it to be on boost really quickly, I would suggest looking at similar builds the power will be quick and scary within the region of 350whp ~ 400whp but at this moment I would settle for running and on the road as I have been working on it for 9 years...

andy_v, maxiboy, KimB and 5 others like this.
  9. postie jon Member

really like the build,the attention to detail ,etc, shame its all hidden under what looks standard mini ,apart from the chopped roof of course, but thats what was maybe aimed for ,a wolf in sheeps clothing, lol , keep up the good work , impressed.:clapping::thumbup:

10. davenport Member

england, cambs
    Hats off man... good to catch up on your adventure and see it's still progressing well....

Advertisements