Roof chopped BMW mini cooper S

1. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    It's red but it starts off day glow and calms down over a week. We'll it did last time...

2. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Orranje GP style panels cut to fit the cage then carpeted to suite the rear delete going in.

[​IMG]

Segments of the roof liner cut and pushed together, they fit really well and held up without any glue or tape. Still have to take it all down and glue it all together. Also as the roof liner is a grp construction I will grp bond the back to make it more rigid.

[​IMG]

The rear looks like its going to be interesting...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    eSCHEn likes this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

real nice:clapping: i take it ed china wont be having a go in it when finished :whistle:

4. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    He most certainly will not... Then again most people will find it a squeeze. I'm ok though ;)

5. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Roof lining all bonded together with GRP on the rear. Its taken the whole day but I am very pleased with it. Just have to wait for the new headlining material to turn up so it can be trimmed. To make the install easier I have left the head liner in two sections which will have the finial bond in the car

[​IMG]

I then put the front section of the liner in and the seat. I took a photo to show the head room left. I am 5ft6" or short... loads of room left and I know a few taller people have been able to get in too. I have to say other than the gormless photo of me I really enjoyed sitting in the drivers seat with some trim about me, it felt as if the car was nearing completion

[​IMG]

Parm and eSCHEn like this.
  6. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Cracking job Richard, and you don't look like you're doing a weird camp semaphore at all...

captain-destructo and rkde like this.
  7. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    lol, I don't do selfies and I know why, this was the best of 4... the rest made me look shocked or blind from the flash. should have out my welding helmet on

eSCHEn likes this.
  8. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Today, looking like a mini and over the next few weeks I think its going to come together quickly and I am very pleased. Even a nice place to sit :)

[​IMG]

davenport, Freddy0309 and eSCHEn like this.
  9. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    I managed to get most of the roof lining done today and I am pleased with how its all going. I did the front half out the car and had to do the rear in the car. The glue I used was nasty but did a great job.

Decided that it was too dark in the car and I went and found a roof light, painted it and the clock then cut the lining to install the light. Clock clipped in as it should

[​IMG]

Alarm module went in too

[​IMG]

A pillars have turned out great, really pleased with them

[​IMG]

Just have to finish the edges at the rear but the glue has taken it's toll and I have had enough

eSCHEn likes this.
  10. eSCHEn

Top job man :)

rkde likes this.
  11. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Rear delete kit required...

Got some 6mm ply wood as it was the lightest I could find and I am partly past caring for weight so much at this moment. So I made a paper template, cut 3 sections of ply wood

[​IMG]

I then used some aluminium brackets bent at 135 degrees to sort the front section and then some hinges in the middle, the sections were then trimmed in carpet

[​IMG]

The back was then trimmed in black ultra suede to cover the inside plywood. I then coloured the staples in after the photo

[​IMG]

I then installed the cover, was a pain to get it past the roll cage but after a few attempts I found how to install it but it was tight. Even the lid only opens till it hits the roll cage, not bother as I am not sure I will use the storage for much anyway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to make a boot carpet as the one I have is a little tatty having spent loads of time in the garage and being 13 years old. Then time to finish the pillars and time for a big clean inside, drivers seat and steering wheel - probably loads more too

eSCHEn likes this.
  12. eSCHEn

Nice smart job once again :)

rkde likes this.
  13. Where did you get the cloth for the roof liner? I want to re do mine in black

14. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    I used AS trim, they have quite a few sections then used high temp spray glue

15. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Today I cleared out my garage and turned the car around so I can work on the engine when I get home from work each evening. Almost killed me having to push the car around on the drive with no power assist or an engine running. Did it on my own and while resting I took some photos from another angle than normal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then some of the interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the car in the garage I got it up in the air and fitted the power steering pump can't remember it being so loud... need to listen to another mini and key position 2

KimB and eSCHEn like this.
  16. eSCHEn

Looking tasty Richard :)

What size rims you got on there?

17. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

Motor is looking rude!!! Keep at it now cause the hard work is done, just a bit of spit n polish (maybe a fw other minor things) n ready to go CRUZIN :)

18. davenport Member

england, cambs
    Amazing.... absolutely amazing...

19. KimB

KimB Member

Looks amazing, sorry if I missed it but have you had it running yet ? Looks like you're so close now!

20. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    @KimB no not running yet but I hope one day...

Other news
    Being doing lots more welding to finish off the last few parts of the engine, all the vacuum lines and making sure that all the fabrication work is completed. Ordered the last few parts and I hope to have it all together again. Can't be far off from being a car again...

Been enjoying alloy welding recently but there is only so much I can do. Love the way the stack of dimes gets better with all the practise

[​IMG]

maxiboy, KimB, Parm and 1 other person like this.
Advertisements