No oil in my lathe - oops

1. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Anyone remember a few years ago I was after some dye to make the oil level in my lathe headstock more visible? For some reason I never did the obvious thing and take the drain plug out to check, until now. :rolleyes:
    20190720_161640.jpg
    I don't know how long it's been empty but I've never noticed it leaking and I've had it about 4 years and I've never spotted a leak. :( Luckily 99.9% of the time it's in high speed mode and the gears aren't engaged so the only damage is the "clutch lever shifter pads", No.65 in the drawing.
    20190720_161211.jpg 20190720_161220.jpg
    20190720_173309.jpg
    The rest of them was sat in a pile underneath. :ashamed:
    20190720_161311.jpg

I'll clean it out as best I can before I refill it. I thought the worn blocks would just give the clutch lever a bit of play which has never bothered me but it looks like it could be preventing the spindle brake from engaging properly, it does take a few seconds longer to slow down than I think it used to. Easy enough to make new ones (With a working lathe:ashamed:).

It looks like there's some liquid gasket stuff on the cover too, I'll scrape that off and replace it before it goes back together.
    20190720_165952.jpg

2. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

If it's not leaking, where is it going?

3. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Leaked out before I got it presumably. Or I just never noticed. :dontknow:

4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

Could you knock up a gasket for it?

5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Using gasket paper and a ball pein hammer if I remeber what my late father used to do on some of my early scramblers????

6. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Adam, check out this thread it's a long time ago but could be relevant. The sealer is likely to be blue hylomar that I probably sprayed on both sides of the gasket.

Once I swapped out the O ring for the slightly oversize one I had no further problems and I checked the level frequently after that.

Edit, I didn't take that cover off, just the bit next to it where the handle that needed the o ring is.

Cheers
    Andy

Maker and The_Yellow_Ardvark like this.
  7. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Out of interest, what is the oil of choice for the gearbox/headstock?

8. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

That'll be why I've got a half empty bottle of gearbox oil. :D I'll have a look for some O rings, there's a 11 listed in the parts for the headstock, should be numbers 116, 126, 143 and 144 in the diagram in the first post but none of those numbers are in the drawing. :dontknow:

It's ISO 10 hydraulic oil in the Headstock and ISO 68 in the gearbox. Originally specified was Shell Tellus 15 for the headstock and 33 for the gearbox, presumably unavailable now.

9. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

O rings aren't labelled but they're drawn as solid black rings in the parts diagram.
    20190720_194328.jpg
    One looked "dented", on closer inspection it broke in my hand. :whistle: It appears to be a standard size, BS012.
    20190720_195713.jpg
    Luckily I've got plenty so I'll change the ones on the gear selector lever too, they don't look as bad but it can't hurt.

Dieselkid 63 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, I seem to recall that @doubleboost did a video on headstock oil choice and change.

Colin

steviec_lj likes this.
  11. The_Yellow_Ardvark

I have some paper here and a few spares hammers, what to try for old time sakes?

Maker, Lazurus and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Let me know if you need some of the mid size O rings I bought from polymax. I has to buy 20 so probably still have them knocking around.

Maker likes this.
  13. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Squirted a bit of acetone at the back of the sight glass to clean it...
    20190721_122611.jpg
    Its plastic. :doh:

14. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Whoops. Didn't you learn after destroying the lamp lense.

15. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

You'd think wouldn't you. :whistle:

WorkshopChris and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  16. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I'd always thought the brake was part of the clutch behind the belt guard and didn't work very well because it needed adjusting/was worn out. Actually, it's inside the headstock (The yellow boss protruding from the left in the first pic) and it "doesn't work very well" because I've never used it!

You're supposed to push the clutch lever to the left to slow the spindle, I'd always pushed it to disengage the clutch and let it slow naturally (Of course, I'd never dream of slowing the chuck by hand :whistle:). End of the second paragraph:
    20190721_205817.jpg
    RTFM:doh:

17. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

20190723_121948.jpg
    Gaskets cut, look like they fit. The back cover was still in the ultrasound tank when I came in so I'll fit it and get some oil in it tomorrow. Hole-saw'd some acrylic (I assume) discs to make a new sight glass too, I was going to try to use glass epoxied into a brass ring but I can't find my glass cutter. Could try the tile saw I suppose but plastic seems like the easier option.
    20190723_125113.jpg

Farside and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  18. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

All back together, it's no quieter and theres a knocking noise (once per spindle rev), I think it might already have been there to be honest, I don't know what it's coming from but it's not always there, it might be the worn clutch pad things against their carrier.

20190724_155830.jpg 20190724_155819.jpg
    Sight glass just needs a bit of glass, I'll try cutting some actual glass but failing that I'll file a bit of acrylic to fit. Its hard to get a good picture but theres a narrow shoulder inside and out.

19. The_Yellow_Ardvark

@Maker

Mt local glass centre cut me a sight glass lass week 55mm diameter. From a off cut off 3mm glass for 2 packs of Scottish Shortbread Biscuits.

Give them a shout.

As well as 4 x 4 1/2 circles of glass for £10, from a sheet.

Maker likes this.
  20. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Awesome, I'll have a look. I've hacked up a bit of glass (The only bit I could find I might add. :rolleyes:) with a tile saw, just made a big sharp mess. :doh:

The_Yellow_Ardvark likes this.
Advertisements