My new bargain milling machine - wiring help

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Feels fine - screws in ok. Going to try some solid rods tomorrow - one just big enough to fit down the screw hole.

2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Yes had a look at that.
    Here is the spindle close up. 20180926_192205.jpg View attachment 154775

3. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
  4. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Of course there is another solution - anyone got a full set of collets?

5. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

That thing's never been beaten.... Probably the best thing I've come up with on my own!

Dave H. (the other one)

6. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    One silly question - doubt it but would it be easier to remove if i took the cutter out of the chuck first?

7. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

If it's a morse taper spindle it should also have a slot visible when the spindle is lowered for drifting out mt drills, same should work for a chuck once the drawbar is removed.

8. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I don't think it will. The drills have a flat tang which extends into the slot. A chuck, being retained by a drawbar does not have this feature.

9. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  10. Pete.

Pete. Member

Stick a fly cutter in the collet and take a few passes along a chunk of hot-rolled bar. That oughta knock it loose.

eLuSiVeMiTe and fizzy like this.
  11. tom-madbiker Member

If it's a Morse and it's been in a long time especially if it was put in wet with coolant I could be a challenge to get it out the bar idea through the drawbar hole is still the best idea I would try the freeze spray I use the plumbers type my friend and I used a mixture of heat and freeze spray and penetrating oilvto remove a spark plug from a landy that was seized in oh and a 4ft breaker bar

fizzy likes this.
  12. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Well thanks everyone for your wiring help. Powered it up for the first time today and it runs perfectly!
    Damn chuck still totally stuck though - freezing didn't work.
    Looks like it will have to be Dave's method!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

This is not really a good idea, but when needs must........

Can you put a piece of bar or something in the chuck to bolt a chain to? Loop chain around knee of machine and wind down the knee to put some weight on the chuck. Then hit the drawbar as described above.

Disclaimer -I know it will not do the bearings any good, and dont put too much weight on it so you break the head casting, etc, but some times you need a bit of preload......

14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I loved Dave's idea so looked for Morse taper removal wedges. Nobody sells them. They DO sell them for Jacobs tapers though. Closest is a J3. A tiny bit of grinding with my power file and they fit.

How does this look?

Thinking of using my Record bench vice to squeeze together? 20181004_204553.jpg

15. MattH

MattH Member

Two hammers.

eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Went to try that - too close to the casting and very hard to hit both at the same time!

I suppose I could hit each side alternately - after all the bearings are designed to take side loads.

17. brightspark

brightspark Member

g clamp on the wedges tighten it up and bat the drawbar again :)

18. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Tried that as well - a G clamp just isn't powerful enough and very hard to keep straight.
    Really speaking I should make some simple bar clamps like Dave suggested but never having time and lacking suitable bolts I will try and lift the 50kg or so Record onto the milling table!

brightspark likes this.
  19. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Hold a lump hammer against one of the wedges and hit the other with a normal hammer.

eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    My loving little taps didn't do a lot!
    So close to the casting as well.
    I also tried my new 5" machine vice from RDG tools - could only get 1/2 the wedge on the side of the jaw. Not ideal and was taking some serious force.

Advertisements