My MGB GT Project ... so it’s begins

1. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Hi

I have wanted one of these cars since I saw one of my high school teachers pulled up in one , as I was 4/5 when this was born (she’s a 79 so one of the last )

Absolutely stole it from evil Bay for 312.65 lol , the repair panels alone are worth more than that and it comes will all needed . Bought it blind but for that kinda cash it Will break for more .

All that’s left is a few pics of her .... these are the pics I bought her from .

Regards

Malc

• FC7F9FD6-A747-493B-83E8-383C69B81191.png
    • D77FA806-13FA-41AC-BC8D-1018BFECFAE9.png
    • 462E2109-0E7D-45AF-8D80-FDD58BC5B65D.png
    • 790CE8DA-447C-4FB0-8C0C-D374799B58C2.png
    • 141CFA85-FED2-4542-BFD5-5C1299D14A29.png
    • DFCF0B05-E2AA-4B91-B31A-773026366DF5.png
    • 310DE6FE-8F6B-41B2-BF87-18361083EC57.png
    • 1AD6B5AC-A6C3-40A8-BD8A-6633FB9DF292.png
    • F20E2E05-5D56-488B-B8A0-6F6F020C65CC.png
    • CA51E938-DA59-4776-9250-A247212F6FC0.png
  2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

A friend of mine did one 20 ish years ago and he's just thinking of doing it again as it looks like your pictures but with red paint. Good luck with your project.

bletchmonster likes this.
  3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

A good friend of mine that owns a wedding car business, Usually has an MGB being restored as a fill in job, Makes an absolutely cracking job of them, stripped and refurbed down to the last nut and bolt.

4. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

My old woodwork teacher had one of them - I think it was bright orange or maybe white, can't remember, he may have had two. I remember him saying people always talked about it and asked to sit in it - not drive it, just to sit in it and reminisce. He found it a weird thing but obliged anyway.

5. My Son is currently shoehorning a BMW engine and 5 speed gearbox into his. I bought it a few years ago and did the bodywork* on it for him, we also swapped the rubber bumper cross member out and put in a chrome bumper cross member to get it as low as possible.
    I fitted Sebring front and rear spoilers and gave it a quick blow over with cellulose.
    I will get some photos uploaded.

*The sills always go, you have an inner and outer panel that you can see but there is also a centre Castle panel that can only be accessed by removing the outer sill panel.

6. Rob85 Member

Buying with all parts there for that price is a steal.....if they are genuine parts, let's hope they aren't pattern parts that fit poorly or you could be in a world of hurt. Love them cars so I'll be following this thread, have at it!

HopefullySoon likes this.
  7. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I owned one when they were not collectors items, it was a big improvement on the shake you to bits Triumph Spitfire that it replaced but I was never really impressed with it, it never felt as lively or as much fun as a Midget to drive, sounded nice though. :laughing:

Nice project thread to follow.

BarrieJ likes this.
  8. Onoff Member

Tbh you can get a complete heritage shell for these I think. Sort of defeats the obectives of most here I know!

My mate just sold his to his yuppie neighbour. Mainly the bloke wanted the parking space and to use it to go to his weekend place in Brighton.

It got nicked about 2 weeks after!

9. Not cheap though!

10. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

about 3.5 thousend !!!! i think that after reading that and the with the repair panels supplied ...im going to weld the original shell up !

being a last of the model it has everything i want ... pre-made holes in the inner wing for the V8 im contemplating ect .

no ifs / buts , for 320 quid all in inc repair panels ..... the cars been stolen for the price .

also been told it starts / go's / stops ....rest is easily delt with .

regards

Malc

#still not told the Mrs ive bought it lol #

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017
    monky harris likes this.
  11. daedalusminos Member

Congratulations, you can't go wrong at that price....much better buying in that condition than pay £2k+ for something that under the bodges is essentially the same condition.

I have a similar project in this Mk1 GT6... IMG_20170526_204515.jpg

• IMG_20170525_172715.jpg
  12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

My mate had one of these in white...well it was white with hints of brown.

Can't wait for this project....please keep the pcs coming. Are you restoring it outdoors...hat off to you if you are. I find it difficult enough in my garage in winter....o are they just the eBay pics from the guy who started an outdoor restoration and then thought better of it!!

13. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Hi PD2

The photos are of the car as I bought it on the (previous) owners driveway .

I do have an underground garage but it can only handle a motorbike (the gradient will ground out a car ) if you want to save the sills !!!

It doesn’t turn 40 years old for 18 mths and I’m damned if I’m mot/taxing it in the meanwhile .... it can sit on my drive while I fix it at my leisure until it’s time comes ....

For a scabby MGB im truly amazed at the interest ..... I hope my resto lives up to expectations lol

Regards

Malc

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Sounds like a good plan...I have major respect for anyone who can restore a car outside. Best bit about a garage is not having to tidy all the tools away....

Am seriously looking forward to lots of pics...I was going to do an mg before getting arm twisted into the rot box nissan project!

BarrieJ likes this.
  15. Nick67GT

Nick67GT Member

Congrats on getting your MGB at a great price! Don't be tempted to break it - they're getting quite rare now and are worth saving, especially when you've got a head start with the basic repair panels.

There's a massive spares support industry for these cars, as I'm sure you're already aware :thumbup:, but the quality varies enormously, as do the prices! I prefer to buy original parts and restore those - at least you're starting with something of reasonable quality in the first place.

Don't know if you have a time plan for getting it back on the road - I've been doing mine for nigh on 24 years (don't ask) but things like work, moving house, growing family, cash etc) all get in the way at various times to stall progress with alarming effect.

Here's my 1967 GT as it stands at the moment:

image.jpg

Body & paint all done. Engine, gearbox, rear axle & front suspension rebuilt.

image.jpg

Engine bay completed.

image.jpg

Now sorting the new wiring loom.

Good luck with your project and apologies for hijacking your thread!

• image.jpg
    Pilzy, Sprocket Hole, BarrieJ and 4 others like this.
  16. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Hi nick ....

That’s going to be 1 sexy MGB when it’s done ! (No hand on knee , innuendo or sexual reproach implied lol)

My time frame to get it on the road is 18 mths when it turns 40 .... eventually I want to drop a t16 200bhp Rover engine into it (ala t16 coupe / 600 ti) so it gets show with GO ! ... but I can acquire parts while I can play with it under no time pressure . Long term goal lol

My resto may well go 24 years lol

Malc

Edited to add : I’ve NO intention of breaking it , I put that in to show it was a no brainier not to buy it even if the shells more rotter than a 2 month out of date Apple .... the spares will recover the cost .

Regards

Malc

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  17. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    great find at an amazing price!....good luck with the project!

JP

18. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

At that price you cannot fail, Serious bargain price.

19. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

if it was me /swmbo id maybe have got a 1500 midget for smiles per miles ..... but with me , SWMBO and the dog in my avatar ....... theres 1 too many for a 2 seater .....

... and i cant see swmbo being happy left behind ! , as I need somewhere for her to sit , my childhood 'wow' seems the best fit to 'us' as a unit .

Malc

#still not told her Ive bought it lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  20. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Looks a great project. Update us when it arrives and you have had a good look. Best thing is that so many of the bits are still available. With my Saab c900 you can't get the wings anymore, only a few repair panels.

Advertisements