My Boat project, it will be worth it ;)

1. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    really stunning progress, man!

I remember being excited to see what you did with this boat when you first got it!...what a change!

JP

W.olly likes this.
  2. W.olly

W.olly Member

By eck JP you remember that far back, was a while ago wasnt it. I look back at times when i first got it and wonder if i was either wrecked or desperate for a project lol.

I mad this during the week after work as to give a break for doing the hull work. I was hoping to get the hull all done this weekend but weather hasnt turned out the best. I hope to god it picks up as i only have two weeks left to do it. Have the operation then and then it launch time so nothing can be done after two weeks from now.

Ah well here it is. I should of made it ages ago but it completely went out of my head. Very important part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also fitted the hatch i made from the lower Houdini 500 frame and handles

[​IMG]

I used 8mm Polycarbonate, and made new hinge knuckles and a few hardwood spacers and wot not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look good in place aswel i reckon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did try to bend some ally U channel from a former i made to edge the polycarbonate but i failed :(, it wasnt to bad but a few very small kinks appeared. I ran out off channel so gave up.

If i get around to it i will use some Hockey stick profile i have and see if that works. That will get even better protection along with the D section rubber seal i fitted.

Oh and one huge pain the backside of a job i have sorted, The dam gas leak, that was sending me even more barmy. I spent a week going through all the system, replacing joints i think i over tightend and looking for bubbles onky to find in the end the NEW regulator was faulty.

So its booked back in for the BSS this Saturday :) finger crossed.

mpats, Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Jlg

Jlg Member

What’s the bit on the outboard for

brightspark likes this.
  4. W.olly

W.olly Member

Its for better control at low speed as there is very little with outboards. When going slow with little revs the direction is rubbish so the Rubber added helps a great deal.

5. Jlg

Jlg Member

Didn't know that and I've never had any problems going slow

6. Tifa

Tifa Member

Love this thread.
    Have you watched Gilligan's Island btw?

W.olly likes this.
  7. W.olly

W.olly Member

So.e boats work better with then some dont need them. If you do struge is just a mayyer of a few sharp burst on the throttle. These jist make it easier when engine has the veryow revs o in neutral.

Not sure i have but i will now

8. W.olly

W.olly Member

Just like to share my relief as its not that bad an outcome from the BSS.

It failed yes but only on a mistake by myself when i bought he fire extinguishers i addd the wrong one sto my ebay shopping basket. I usually check things when i get them but for some reason i didnt this time, but then it was a fair old shopping list.

Not sure if a lot of fok kno wbut inland water ways and BSS regs state all fire Extinguishers and blankets needs the have the correct BSI Kitemark on them. Which these dont have.

Just need to fit hem and send pictures of proof to the examiner for him to sign my boat off.

So well happy and a relief as this is the first full rebuild/refit of a boat i have done from scratch.

Now to dampen that mood, not long after the cushions arrived.

See picks as to why i was annoyed as after two weeks with trying to contact them due to no reply from them once they received the templates they cut them wrong. well three of them.

These should be as marked on the templates `90 degree edges` i mean come on not a clue what they were thinking.

I have emailed them and sent pics so will call them in the morning and see what they are going to do. Oh and they didnt send the stockinette either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent all morning calling them and no reply but for its engaged then answer phone to a different number. I know they have number recognition as they told me. So i used a landline phone only seconds after i hung up from there answer phone for it to be answered straightaway. Am i being paranoid as they then said the two mian people are not available and there internet is down so unable to see the email i sent them of the pics above.

I will be going over on Monday i think in person.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
    mpats and Robotstar5 like this.
  9. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Well done on the inspection....this has been a great project and we all can't wait to see it set sail.

Yea I've been there too....they log your number and then refuse to answer when you call....but a different number could be a new customer so they pick up straight away!!

W.olly likes this.
  10. W.olly

W.olly Member

Good thing is i am only 25 mins away and i am off work for a month from this friday so i can go to see them, then see what happens. I cant go through the week as i finish work to late and they dont work weekends.

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    love the rudder on the outboard. wondering though, if there will be any vertical forces put on it and the boat moves up and down in the water...that back bone looks a bit thin....Knowing you and your skill set, my concern is unfounded.
    love the plexi hatch and latch/hinge hardware...I quite like it without a frame....

As for the Gilligan's Island reference, yeah, maybe naming it the SS Minnow would not be the best idea!

;)

JP

12. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

sure is a big rudder....I remember mine had a little fin that one day decided to fall off....lost virtually all the thrust because the prop was cavitating...the little fin just moved the exhaust gas to one side.

I always thought the steering issue was me until I changed the boast to one with an inbosrd ....we then went back a step by buying one with two engines...

Looking good though

13. W.olly

W.olly Member

These rudders are only for going at low knots no more than 10 i would say. So no big forces will be put on it. well i dont think they will. Its only for better control when going a few knows and less or no thrust at all.

Saying that though the rudder can easy be modified but cutting of the cavitation extension and just keep the rudder on if it does need to be.

Have i not mentiond the boat name yet ???

14. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Think you will find it will suffer greater foces at speed, a larger cavitation plate helps with high speed stability, espescially if its wider, and you have the power to drive the boat up on the plane above its maximum design hull speed, as they start to chine roll!

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

call it dignity :whistle::rolleyes:

Pete. and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. W.olly

W.olly Member

That was my point, at speeds yes it will take pressure i should think but not at less than 6knots. which is what it will be doing . To get this on the plane itswill need more than the 10hp i has.

I do like it but it still has a connection to Quenn ;) It was Bohemian fro a while and all other Queen songs lol.

17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Boatie McBoatface? It was popular but unused......:whistle: :D

18. Jlg

Jlg Member

Hey that's the name of mine

19. Wallace

Wallace Member

“The Lord Elpus”?

20. W.olly

W.olly Member

Khashoggi :)