Mig vs Tig for aluminium

1. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

That SuperPulse setting really whangs the penetration right in there doesn't it?

2. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I did do one run but it actually split the Alu right down the centre of the weld as it cooled, just peeled away like a banana :D
    I had thought it seemed too high in current when I set the welder to NonPulse, think it was saying something like 180Amps which compared to Pulse of 140Amps for the same thickness seemed too much. Also when I switched from the 4.8mm thickness setting for Pulse to the Non Pulse it was saying the thickness set was for 3.3mm.
    I didn't get a chance to do any more but that will have to wait until another day as tomorrow I will be working away but I will try it at lower settings and see.

3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes, which kind of surprised me as I was expecting the single pulse to be the better of the two. Another thing that surprised me was there was little difference between force arc and non-force arc, I was expecting the Force Arc to be deeper and narrower. I think maybe Alu is not really the best material for seeing the effects of ForceArc due to the heat dissipation.

eSCHEn likes this.
  4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Just been through the phone to see if I took a pic of the standard spray Mig weld but sadly I didn't. Probably because of the way it split. I did however video the welder whilst doing it to see what the current etc did and you can hear how fierce it was.

eSCHEn likes this.
  5. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Be interesting to see what the graph of the SuperPulse is during its cycle.

I'm a total Al newbie, what grade are you using for your coupons and TIG filler? I'm going to give it a wee go when I can get some of the same :)

6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

By the graph I assume you are meaning timings/voltage etc during each phase?

If so here is what I have set for the pulse and Super Pulse (see blue text at the side) for 1mm and 1.2mm wire)
    ScreenHunter_1226 Jan. 04 18.00.jpg

For the Force Arc it is still the default programme and is slightly crackly on the low part of the pulse so I will likely alter that.

As to material and wire. It is 5083 Alu and Esab 1.2mm 5356 wire.

eSCHEn likes this.
  7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Oh and on Tig it is Esab 5356 2.4mm rods.

eSCHEn likes this.
  8. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Yes exactly that mate, thank you :thumbup:

Cheers for info on grades as well :)

9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Actually I think the settings at the side may be the default ones as I have definitely increased the time on the reduced main programme, also increased the voltage as well if I recall.

10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes, this seems to be what I have for 1.2mm wire, top defualt and below my settings, ones in red are the ones I changed.
    ScreenHunter_1227 Jan. 04 18.28.jpg

eSCHEn likes this.
  11. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Ok just back to the workshop and did some more testing.
    All welds around about 150Amps apart from SuperPulse as I kept it at the same thickness settings as the previous pulse. Also the last one was 160Amps on the R-Tech when I looked back at the video I took of it whilst welding. Also the R-Tech weld was right on the edge of the plate so probably should be ignored as it was getting an unfair advantage.

Ok results as per pic.

ScreenHunter_436 Jan. 06 15.59.jpg

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

It’s weird mate. I cannot get anything like that depth of penetration with current that low on our migs.
    I wouldn’t even entertain less than 200 amps on Alu that thick. I certainly wouldn’t be convinced it’s going to out perform the tig at such low current. It’s very strange as you seem to weld all your processes much much colder than the norm required to get a sound weld yet you get the results. Are you sure your welders ain’t supplied with turbo current boosters(:laughing:) as it’s just not logical.

13. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Ok just done another to compare R-Tech and EWM.
    Set slightly higher currents on the EWM than before to compare with the R-Tech.

ScreenHunter_437 Jan. 06 16.15.jpg

14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I have said that before that I seem to weld a lot lower currents than you and Brad, why I don't know but even stick welding I seem to be a good 10amps lower from what I gather.

15. Richard.

Richard. Member

Nothin wrong with that though mate. It just means your machines are far more useful than ours. You’ve still got reserves when we run out of juice. One thing is for sure it’s certainly not effecting the weld as your fusion is ample.

16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Having said that the EWM is setting the currents for me.
    Basically I set the thickness and it chooses the current, I do tend to set it slightly lower, say 4.8mm instead of the 5mm but that is probably because I have the voltage offset increased a wee bit as I don't like the crackling on the low part of the pulse that I would get otherwise.

When I put the EWM to no pulse, ie standard spray then it wants to set the current far to high for my liking so I have to lower it by turning the wire feed down so that it is at 3.8mm rather than the 4.8 of the pulse settings.

The R-Tech I can really only adjust by sound/feeling as it is purely volts and wire feed readings and current is only visible when welding, that is why I bumped up the current of the EWM in the above welds to comparable levels of the R-Tech.

17. Richard.

Richard. Member

It’s that Scottish power in it.
    They give the hamsters a couple of sharp whiskeys before sticking them in the wheels. :D

Hood likes this.
  18. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

But how can that be? it shouldn't be possible, I was away to head home but I think I will do another video showing the machine whilst welding and then I will move the camera over to the weld to show it so that it can be seen I am not spouting rubbish.

19. Richard.

Richard. Member

I’m not suggesting that at all mate. I 100% believe you did those at those settings. It just doesn’t work for me that’s all.

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Sorry don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting that at all it is just I am starting to disbelieve myself :D

Uploading the vid and doing the etch as I type, this one made a fool of me :D

Advertisements