Mig vs Tig for aluminium

1. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Set up 2 machines to suit a lump of 4-6mm Alu with current not been comparable and the mig will take that I can tell you now especially if you can set yourself a hot start to avoid that cold lump on strike up.
    I think to get that sound weld on 4-6 mm Alu the mig is going to be putting out a lump more current than the tig will be mind. I remember you saying you weld 4mm at 120. This is very low to me I’d be 150ish but even then the mig won’t be doing much around that. On the 6mm I’d be around 200 joint depending. I think with a mig I’d be another 20-40 amps on top of that to get a sound joint. Again though coupon size and joint makes this all variable as you know. I’ll have a blast too with our migs and tigs and see if I get something similar.
    Yes I’d be around your balance and frequency settings too at those current levels. 80% en and 80hz roughly would be my preference.

slim_boy_fat and Hood like this.
  2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Looks like I have found another way to not have to continue with my workshop tidy :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

200 amps is a bit of a bench mark when talking about these two Processes regarding penetration depth. Mig is just coming into play at that current level much like a petrol car at 4000rpm. It’s a bit gutless before then but after that mark it’s getting serious.
    Tig has the ability to do everything lower down just like a turbo diesel At 4000 rpm the fun tends to stop.
    Sure tig will go well up and beyond 3-400 amps and rather than penetration depth you get that over all fusion zone been very large from the arc width generated at those current levels. I still say amp per amp tig is a better penetration and fusion process over mig as far as aluminium is concerned but I’ll agree with what is said that this is to a point and I believe that point is above 200 amps.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I was thinking more along the lines of 6mm material so 200-220A

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

We can have a go. I think at 200 it’s a tough call to make.

6. Hood

Have done one run and just away to cut and etch, will see what it is like but what I will say is the Mig current shocked me :D

7. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

What current did you get mate.

8. Hood

tenor.gif

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I’ve just done a 6mm square edged butt joint with tig. Dunno what the pen is like yet. It bit well. Far from the tidiest joint I’ve ever done. But then I am rushing as I’m playing a bit of catch up today. I’ll let it cool down.

• 87473280-061A-46FD-899D-2D9C52E77E31.jpeg
    • 5C528C3B-0F6E-4400-A8AA-66DF3B268B7A.jpeg
    • A9653853-C03D-40D4-8ADB-FA2B34B70B40.jpeg
    • 9D99E83A-550B-4AF8-A710-3335B34597B9.jpeg
  11. Hood

Well here is mine, both welds shocking, pic of Tig one is poor as well but make of it what you will.

Richard. likes this.
  12. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I couldn’t pick a winner there on pen depth mate. What were your currents. Here’s mine.
    3.9mm depth at the deepest point into 6mm plate. Measured 2.1mm exposure of the joint on the back with digital calipers.

• 64F0D78B-85A7-49DC-834A-F031B685525B.jpeg
    Hood likes this.
  13. Hood

Set thickness on Mig to 6mm and then changed to current view and it was 160/165Amps, filmed it as you can see and hovered around that current during the weld so that was my current I chose for the Tig to make the currents equal and during the weld it also hovered around about the 160/165Amps.

Voltage on Mig was 24v or so and Tig 14.5v OR SO.

14. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It’s a nice comparison there.
    Certainly as far as overall fusion the mig has covered that. Actual depth into the joint it looks like tig might of just taken it. Very close indeed.

• FB23C803-1A18-4FF4-AC2A-2F7544774247.jpeg
  15. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

If you get chance Can you do a 6mm square edge butt joint with the Mig aiming at around the 200 if possible. Be nice to see if you get more or less than what I got here. Makes interesting topic this sort of stuff.

16. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

No clear winner here. The fusion depth is quite equal as is actual pen into the joint corner. If I had to give a point it would be Mig based on overall even fusion level but it’s one of those where you could do it 100 times and get 50 wins each.

• E2B9774D-F283-4A87-A425-5C108B93165A.jpeg
  17. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

I have sort of been reading this thread,with interest, looking at that pic of hoods isnt the left weld got far more pen on the base plate or is that just fluffy pic? want to know the outcome re mig amps on 5/6mm.thankyou guys

18. Hood

OK just been doing some more so back before I saw your post regarding the 200, I did do a close but weld at 165 on Tig and same for Mig and another fillet with Mig on super pulse and tig on 170 but cleaning on 20 as opposed to 15 as before.
    Superpulse surprised me.
    I will check with vids I took whilst doing these to make sure I have the currents correct.

First is Tig
    ScreenHunter_412 Jan. 02 12.36.jpg
    Next is Mig
    ScreenHunter_414 Jan. 02 12.38.jpg
    Last is Superpulse Mig and 170 amp Tig
    ScreenHunter_413 Jan. 02 12.37.jpg

Richard. likes this.
  19. Hood

Just looked at vids and currents were correct but what surprised me was superpulse was showing around 145/150Amps, might be an average, not sure.

20. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Your referring to fusion art. Pen is depth into the corner.

Advertisements