MIG vs ARC, MIG vs Me...

1. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Aw mate it was horrible, it proper squished in before i realised what it was

Disgusting things they are

Parm likes this.
  2. SteScouse

Top finished and bolted to the frame.

Only problem is just discovered no varnish in, searched everywhere. Will probably be a job for another day now as short on time today

Will definitely post photo of finished item but for now this is how it is

IMG_20190919_141309092_HDR.jpg

Parm and Yamhon like this.
  3. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I think you've done a great job; might have to hire you to build a top for when I build my frame lol, that looks really really good!

4. SteScouse

Cheers Yamhon, i really appreciate that mate :thumbup:

If i can I'll make it a day trip sometime when your ready

Only thing I'd say re 4x2 top is its bloody heavy lol

Yamhon likes this.
  5. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

That’s come out good, nice solid top. I like it

I would be more comfortable with much sturdier legs, but then again I tend to over engineer everything

6. SteScouse

Cheers Parm

Re legs way i look at it is it'll hold at least two, three or even four times the weight of anything i can lift up to put on it

Its never going to see an engine, a pallet of bricks or RSJ's, will have a quiet life in a small shed with legs bolted to the floor

Its already over engineered for whats needed, definitely no point wasting heavy duty box section on it

Interested to see how you made yours tho, if you have photos, inspiration for benches i want to make for garage :thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  7. Parm

I’ll get you a pic Tommorow, but you might struggle to see much of it for the amount of stuff. Mine is just a wooden bench with heavily braced ply worktop. Built one Sunday afternoon a few days after I moved to new house. It’s taken any amount of abuse I’ve thrown at it. I have the big vice fixed as close to one of the legs as possible. I do want / need a dedicated bench for welding etc, I have all the materials, but I have the small issue of needing to build a new workshop first

SteScouse likes this.
  8. SteScouse

Think my old wood bench in some of the photos, taken alot of heavy use and still plodding on

Long term want to get garage sorted for MIG but thinking now of an all metal outdoor bench

For now garden is my workshop :doh:

Parm likes this.
  9. Parm

I have an all weather outdoor bench. Few years ago I got a load of heavy angle iron in pieces about 400 to 600 long. Then I got a slab of granite worktop. So for some stick practice I made a clamping jig to weld all the short bits into longer bits to make a table frame with granite top. It lives in the garden, only used as table for BBQ, but again massively over engineered, lol

10. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I'm planning on building a smmaller welding table so I don't have to keep up with weather proofing my large outdoor table.

SteScouse likes this.
  11. SteScouse

Reckon a smaller table would be really handy. Seen a YouTube vid last night of an adjustable table madd from a bowling ball trapped between two brake discs

Sounds bonkers but guy had a bottle jack to apply pressure locking it in place, seemed to work ok

Yamhon likes this.
  12. SteScouse

Not the best day for a photo but great for applying varnish, drying mega quick and got 3 coats on this morning

Top is not bolted down in this picture so a little gap around the edges, but will have to move it in two pieces to get it jn shed

Very happy with how bench turned out, frame and the top. Been good practice for those i want to make for garage

Thanks everyone who has shown an interest and given advice :thumbup:

IMG_20190921_113725318.jpg

Yamhon and Parm like this.
  13. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Looks great; do you plan to mount a vice to the top? The bench I am planning on replacing has a vice on the top that I would like to add to a new one; have been thinking if I should add a piece of plate to the frame in that corner to make it more robust for when working on a vice and may then bolt a vice through the wooden top and into the plate... not sure what's best, but that's the idea I've been thinking about.

14. SteScouse

Hi Yamhon. Yes i fitted vice to it this afternoon. Got photo on my phone but battery just died, can post tmw

Its only a tatty old cgeap vice, but never let me down. And i i ju went straight through the wood with coach bolts

Plenty tough enough for what I need

This week hope to make a couple of shelves to span gaps between leg bracing but no rush on that tbh

Considering benches in garage to be 50x50x3 box section, not decided about tops yet tho

But it will add a fair bit to cost, reckon each bench would be about £80 on metal alone

The bench i just did i costed up as £65-£70 all in, metal, wood for top, bolts and paint/varnish etc

Think you'd be very hard pushed to buy one for that

Yamhon likes this.
  15. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

The vice in use in the garage atm was my Grandfathers; it comes in handy for small tasks, for my own needs something more substantial might appear later on, but I want to reuse this one, if only out of sentimental reasons.

SteScouse likes this.
  16. SteScouse

Thats probably best reason mate. I've got some old tools belonged to my dad, i still use them

Re vice i honestly cant see me needing anything bigger. For welding i plan on clamping most projects to a bench.

And for small stuff thinking of making a square frame with a piece of steel plate on top. About 400mm square, which i can clamp into vice from underneath with the box section

Yamhon likes this.
  17. SteScouse

Bench in shed and the vice
    IMG_20190921_125542540.jpg IMG_20190921_134137126.jpg

Parm and Yamhon like this.
  18. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Great stuff!

SteScouse likes this.
  19. SteScouse