MIG vs ARC, MIG vs Me...

1. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Seemed like a great day for a bit of outdoor MIG today, nice n dry, gentle winds

So thought I'd make a little progress on workbench for shed, this has been welded with Arc til today

Photo below is how project left as i knocked off for the day

Overall so far I'm happier with the Arc welds ive done. Not that they are great, just that they are more consistent to each other and I'm confident with them

The MIG welds kept catching me out, do a couple I'd accept for what the project is....then rubbish to be polite

Obviously I'm learning and will persevere, but did as many mistakes on the flat as i did vertical, which to me is odd :doh:

Think i need to finesse wire feed speed a little more, will get there

Do love the speed of progress with MIG tho, no chipping etc, and tacks super fast to do

Going to finish this bench with MIG only, practice only way to learn eh !

Need another horizontal brace on leg pair at far end and considering 2 lengthwise braces between the two sets of legs

That said its already sturdy, especially compared to battered wood bench i built it on

If i get drunk in the week will share dogs mess welds from today :laughing:

IMG_20190908_184423009.jpg

Parm, Gragson and Yamhon like this.
  2. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Looks good to me. What size box section did you use; will give me an idea of what the one I'm planning to do might look like?

3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

@SteScouse

looks good.
    What top are you planning?

4. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Is it me or do the far legs look bowed,i see you've put a cross brace on the near ones they look straight,bang one in on the other side;)

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

Yamhon and SteScouse like this.
  6. SteScouse

Hi lads

Its 25mmx25mmx3mm box. Its just over 6ft long and 21inchs wide. Height 38 inches? Forgot lol.

Far legs are a little bowed, thats why i plan the extra brace mentioned. Same thing happened to near legs before second brace.

Not that it shows in photo, but top bows a little too on outside edge of each pair of legs. Tried to minimise distortion but hey ho

For top i plan to make a laminated wood top, probably CLS timber from b&q, cheap n cheerful

My wooden bench that lived outside for a few years and had a hard life same top. Still doing ok

Its strong but this bench wont be used for anything very heavy, definitely nothing like an engine

Appreciate the link tho gaz1, will have a look

I'll post more photo's as i go on. Need to get a move on as its now outside til placed in shed

7. SteScouse

Had a look at link gaz, and a few other similar ones.

Most of it beyond me unfortunately. Will try again with a fresh head tmw

8. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Looking good, can’t comment on weld quality or technique as I’m only a novice with the welder

But, if that was my frame, I’d put some feet on those legs, prevent them from biting into the floor substrate if your giving it any welly on the surface. Appropriate size and thickness washers might be ideal, think penny washers or similar. You may already be planning this

BarrieJ and SteScouse like this.
  9. SteScouse

Yes, its getting feet, they will be used to fasten bench to wooden floor of shed

The top of frame will be fitted with flat bar cross braces and flat bar corner diagonal pieces

These will be drilled and used to screw top down on the frame. I'll post pics when done

And the horizontal braces on each pair of legs will support shelving

Parm and Yamhon like this.
  10. SteScouse

If i cant suss these box section calculators I'll resort to destructive testing :scared:

I'll stand on the finished bench and jump up n down a while. If it can take that it'll do, I'm not light :whistle:

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  11. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I plan to use 40mm, had to Google if that was up to an inch lol, pathetic I know.

Looks like I should be good with that, my frame will probably be similar to OP's although want to make it extra strong in case someone uses it as a step to reach things in roof of garage, etc.

SteScouse likes this.
  12. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

That's what I plan to do, so I can fasten a piece of worktop from underneath, not screws visible on the top working surface.

SteScouse likes this.
  13. SteScouse

That'll be good and strong Yamhon

Only reason i went for 25mm box section is price. Can currently get slightly rustry but new at £13 for 7.6 metres

Add a £1 for two cuts and it fits in a focus, happy days

Going to use same stuff for a couple of gates, metal frames, wooden inserts

Parm and Yamhon like this.
  14. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Well I can't afford to invest in any materials yet; but I have a few projects I'm planning that can use 40mm x 3mm box so I figure I'll order a decent amount of the same; hopefully will be able to order enough lengths of the same size at a time to get a discount price.

SteScouse likes this.
  15. SteScouse

Yes, place nearest me has £30 minimum order which isn't a problem but i only buy as i need

I've never had it delivered, cutting far cheaper and car old anyway so dont mind collection

Spotted a national steel supplier on a thread here, F Brundle?

Might be worth checking their site for what your after

16. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Yup that's how I plan to go with.

Need to pay up for a gas cylinder first, not sure if that'll happen before my holiday next month.

SteScouse likes this.
  17. SteScouse

It can add up can't it, but you'll still be quids in compared to buying benches like that ready made

In long run reckon welding pays for itself for me with savings I've made, hope others find the same

Best go, work tmw

Yamhon likes this.
  18. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Always a good test, but I’d put some more legs on it to stop it flexing. 6’ is quite a long bench with only legs at the corners

SteScouse likes this.
  19. SteScouse

Dont Dhink it'd survive mate, , I'm 118kg. I shouldn't be, but i am haha

Fifty odd years of pies n pints :thumbup:

Re distortion I'm sort of at a loss how to stop it with small box section. Tried clamping down, sequence etc

If anyone any tips or advice at what sort if size it reduces that would be good

Think it might be less with 40mm square like Yahmon is planning

20. SteScouse

Not much progress, just corner and cross braces for fixing the top to frame

Bit short on time today so used stick. Saved lugging MIG out.

Most welds went ok but had my first weld affected by magnet. New ones from Lidl much stronger than old Draper n Aldi ones.

Bought them few months ago but not used til today, never experienced that before but read about it.

Arc bounced sideways with a proper loud pop sound and threw my concentration a bit. Moved magnet but still messed it up

Screenshot_20190910-222222.png

As mentioned above still need to fit feet to legs and second brace to one pair

After that its coat of paint and into shed awaiting the time/weather to make the top

Not going to fit lengthwise braces yet, hoping floor will act as brace once bench screwed down with coach bolts

Should be enough for its purpose, if not can retrofit them

For now want it out the weather sooner than later

Yamhon likes this.
Advertisements