Manifold i've just made

1. Rick Member

UK
    Heres something i've just made,

It's made from stainless steel, (12mm and 3mm)

I used 2.4 and 1.6mm filler rod, and the pipes were Vprepped before welding with a back purge.

Comments good and bad are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Amazing, how do you go about designing a thing like that?
    Do you buy in a load of right angle bends and just tack it together until it fits?
    What doe it go on

Chunko'.

3. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Nice job, well done, some tricky gaps to get the torch in by the look of it, a touch of pickling paste would finish it off and passivate the welds.

4. weldingscotty803

weldingscotty803 what you staring at??????????

wow:clapping:
    how long from start to finish

5. davenport Member

england, cambs
    looks a hell of a lot better than some of the "off-the-shelf" parts available from tuners...

external wastegate looks fruity... FWD application?????

6. Rick Member

UK
    All the bends in there were bought as 90degree's i them cut them in a band saw to get 80-10 70-20 etc etc and use them to fill the gaps, you can "cheat" 3-5 degrees i guess by linishing little angles on them, but you try to avoid this.

Yes, thats the hardest thing. I'm a tuner by trade so flow and design is the most important part for me. The collector (last bit before turbo) and wastegate placement are very important, you need to use the correct angles for the turbo been used and get good flow to the wastegate.

The design needs to be as near equal length as possible, and retain the correct firing order while fitting in the engine bay neatly and using the space correctly. I.e. not having the wastegate on the cold side of the turbo.

I agree, i do like to use paste or brush up the welds, but the problem is a flood of ebay style manifolds which feature a "chromed" finish, to hide ground back poor quality/mig welds, if i did this most in the car scene would think its another cheap ebay manifold made in china.

This manifold probably took about 30 hours including the development various "binned" efforts and the jig.
    The next might only take me 10 hours.

7. Rick Member

UK
    Many thanks, yes its for a Toyota Starlet.

I'l be working on my own Evo manifold soon :)

8. davenport Member

england, cambs
    hahaha judging from that effort you could knock your evo 1 up blindfolded and still be better than XS power.....

9. Rick Member

UK
    Haha, i hope so, Evo 1 is for a GT40 turbo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. davenport Member

england, cambs
    roller bearings + huge....

how very very rude hahahahaha

are you keeping with 2litres?? gotta be good for 700+bhp that size???

11. Rick Member

UK
    No, i'm already running a stroker engine on a GT35. I'm hoping for 700+ on pump fuel, yes :)

12. davenport Member

england, cambs
    fantastic.....

the potential of those mitsi engines never ceases to amaze me.. having seen norris`s various ones in action (providing he doesnt crash) they are a very very capable power plant...

13. Arsonista

Arsonista Member

Very nice work. Very tight spaces too.

14. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    very very nice work rick:cool:

does anybody know what exactly gave out on the one they used to tow the caravan on top gear? made a bit of a mess of the engine bay :whistle:

15. Rick Member

UK
    From what i remember it snapped a conrod.

16. ngt Saturated..

Greece
    I would try to seal pipes to flanges with an internal weld, assuring i had a tight pipe fit inside the flange. You may get away with flange warping that way and avoi cracks around the outer weld.
    [​IMG]

17. Rick Member

UK
    Hello,

Thats been done, that manifold wasn't finished but i didn't have the final pictures.

I took the manifold off the jig, took pictures, welded a couple of parts i couldn't get to because the jig was in the way, and the inside of the wastegate takeoff.

The penetration seems impossible on the smaller flanges without putting WAAY too much heat into them, so i just weld inside and out. :)

18. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    That is very nicely made :clapping:
    I quite like the look that the dicolouration gives it, its a nice even effect on that job.

19. Rick Member

UK
    Thanks, as soon as there on the car they change colour anyway, so it would only be for a few minutes they stay "pickled"

20. wyn

wyn Member

Lovely job....seems a shame to hide it under a bonnet..can't you just leave it on the mantlepiece and call it art.

Advertisements