Lorch SpeedPulse-XT

1. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

Had some customers here today to look at the new SpeedPulse-XT & Speed-TwinPulse XT process.

Works great on Stainless Steel as you can keep a very close arc length but without virtually any spatter.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

• image.jpeg
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Cheesie, james butler, SV1BDO and 8 others like this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Blimey, will have to show the boss at work that.

matt1978 likes this.
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

Don't - he'll be expecting you to do the same!!

4. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

The very first thing that popped in my mind :D

Are the three different beads down to a setting or the operator Matt?

matt1978 and daleyd like this.
  5. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

He better buy you a Lorch then ;)

matt1978, Brad93 and daleyd like this.
  6. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Tidy welds. Samples on 6/8mm?

How would it perform on thinner section? Say 3mm to 12mm?

matt1978 likes this.
  7. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

What gas Matt?

matt1978 likes this.
  8. matt1978

Hi Jim, Gas, 98 Ar 2 Co2

Paul, The material thickness is 4mm to 4mm. The photos are cropped so you can't see the edge

Here is a Uncropped one

image.jpeg

9. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Superb, Machine and bead control Matt.

matt1978 likes this.
  10. matt1978

It's a new patented process,

With Pulse welding you generally either have I-I (constant current constant current) or U-I (constant voltage constant current)

They both have benefits and drawbacks to both ways.

Pulse welding was always striving for one droplet per pulse cycle and this is easier to achieve with the I-I method but the U-I method was always more welder friendly in regard it was easier to handle for the operator as it was more like conventional spray arc.

Lorch always used I-I up until we launched SpeedPulse which was I-I-I (are you still with me :) )

This kept all of the known benefits of conventional Pulse but enabled much faster welding speeds and deeper penetration. We launched that in 2008.

Now with SpeedPulse XT, it utilises a never done before regulation system called I-U-I (constant current constant voltage constant current)

In easy terms think of cars, either front wheel or rear wheel drive, both has its merits and drawbacks. It is the same with I-I and U-I but the SpeedPulse XT marries both of the benefits from each system without none of the negatives. Kind of like Quattro on a car.

We could get great results before with SpeedPulse but to get optimum results in Stainless everything had to be spot on. If the torch angle was a couple of degrees out or stick out length was a couple of mm too long or too short you wouldn't get perfection.

With the XT process it is much more forgiving as it has the easy to weld charerteristics from the U-I method but with the precision and arc stability of the I-I regulation.

The kicker is that it maintains all of the benefits of SpeedPulse which was the I-I-I so we still can weld up to 48% faster with more penetration etc.

Win win all round

SV1BDO and eSCHEn like this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

What does the speedpulse XT come on matt? The Mobil series with an upgrade?

12. matt1978

For the 2016 S series (which are our Pulse machines) SpeedPulse-XT is a optional extra on the S-XT machine that can be added at anytime in the future or it is included as standard on the S-SpeedPulse-XT variant

So basically you can buy a base model with is just standard pulse and upgrade to the SpeedPulse-XT as and when you need it or you buy the SpeedPulse version which has it already enabled from the factory

Mobile is just the term to describe the 320 amp machine in the smaller "mobile" housing. SpeedPulse-XT can be added the 320, 400 or 500 amp variants whether regardless of the housing or if gas or water cooled.

The 2016 version has new PCB's inside and face lifted front panel so the SpeedPulse-XT is not only a software change its hardware as well so it's not compatible with machines made prior to 2016

SV1BDO and Brad93 like this.
  13. eSCHEn

Thanks for that Matt. As a software guy it's fascinating to learn about the internals :)

matt1978 likes this.
  14. matt1978

I'll put you some pictures up tomorrow showing the pulse process reagulation methods I-I etc

eSCHEn likes this.
  15. eSCHEn

That would be ace Matt, thank you :)

As you have the patent, are you allowed to say whether you're switching in hard or soft ware?

matt1978 likes this.
  16. matt1978

To be honest I don't know.

It's not just the I-U-I which is new, the regulation is also new

Basically a machine will have a checkpoint on each pulse cycle (to assess where it is against where it should be) and ordinarily the correction adjustment will take place 2 or 3 pulse cycles further on. The down side to this is the longer it takes to make the correction the more severe the correction has to be as its like magnifying a problem.

With The new XT process the checkpoint and adjustment correction are made within the same pulse cycle.

eSCHEn likes this.
  17. eSCHEn

My mind is awash with super technical questions Matt but you're a nice guy so I'll have mercy and leave you alone :D

18. matt1978

Haha, I don't mind.

But I may not be able to answer them as I'm not super technical myself

One thing that did fascinate me though, was with the regulation of modern processes (to be fair, not just Lorch) the machine is calculating and predicting what adjustments will need to be made in future pulse cycles.

Such as with SpeedRoot (Lorch modified dip transfer for rooting) the machine monitors and predicts when the short circuits will occur in the future so it can lower the current just at the right time.

Mind blowing really

eSCHEn and gordon stephenson like this.
  19. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

All in All, welding machines don't just squirt electric any more,

20. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

What is the thinnest stainless you could weld with the SpeedPulse XT process Matt? Just out of interest, because if it could replace TIG on on the outside corners of some 1.2mm stainless boxes (aluminium backing block behind the weld) my old firm would put an order in now!

Cheesie and matt1978 like this.
Advertisements