Large Drummond Restoration

1. spencer 427 Member

Yes... got ya... that feed shaft has got to come out unfortunately. My Mellor lathe carriage is bolted underneath. But you can't sperate the two until you remove the whole unit

KaneH likes this.
  2. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    I managed to get the bottom of the carriage unbolted which unveiled the gear on the feed rod and where it meshes with the gear inside the carriage. I forgot to take a picture with it exposed but here is with the bottom panel still on.

I’m not sure if removing the feed rod alone will allow it all to be taken off. The reason being is that the carriage has to be lifted vertically as there is a small piece of casting that drops down between the bedways. However as the pinion on the rack is located below it fouls on the rack as you’re trying to lift off vertically.

The other picture shows the carriage face on. From the looks of it the pinion on the rack is fed off of the small cross shaped handle which is removable. I had a quick look behind there last night but didn’t try pulling at it. Could the pinion possibly be removed from this side by accessing it at this location?

Apologies if my description is poor, I’ll need to get some better photos later.

• 094432D8-F3A8-4F91-BBF3-7864F3B53C2E.jpeg
    • 070F6E89-E9F9-4FC0-872C-A93D693254E9.jpeg
    spencer 427 likes this.
  3. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

We need much clearer photos Kane.

KaneH and spencer 427 like this.
  4. spencer 427 Member

Got ya. Yes I understand what you mean.

5. spencer 427 Member

By all means remove the rack if can get to all the fixings.

6. spencer 427 Member

In order for us to help. A good clear shot of the part is needed. Like this. It's all about the lighting. 20190308_090327.jpg

KaneH and Seadog like this.
  7. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    Problem I found last night removing the rack wasn’t so much the fixings but the locating dowels/pins. The rack itself just didn’t want to budge off of them at all.

Ill pull the floodlights out tonight and see if I can get a few clearer photos.

Thanks for the help gents :thumbup:

spencer 427 likes this.
  8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

I have a few steel wedges of various sizes and found them invaluable for working parts like that off.

9. spencer 427 Member

Just been studying the pictures. Leave the rack where it is. Did you say you have removed the bolts that hold the bottom part of the Carriage the top part. If so. The top part should move to the far right .doing this will allow the pinnon gear to clear the rack. It works in a similar way to my Mellor lathe

10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

You may find that removing the support bracket for the control rod allows the carriage to come off to the right. Don't forget to support the rod though.

11. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

I’ve heard it’s quite easy if you untie the straps at the waist :scared:

12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Don't be cheeky lol. Wasn't the easiest apron and zero info on the net. Few pictures I found helped to work some of it out.

Which reminds me. Got a rather tidy leg vice in the garage. :D

MattF and Parm like this.
  13. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    I tried this last night but the carriage only got so far then it was as though it disengaged off of the rack as it wouldn’t travel any further but was still a bit of travel left. Will try again tonight.

The end bracket holding the lead screw and control rod is a single casting on the end of the main body so can’t be removed.

spencer 427 likes this.
  14. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    She’s off! :clapping:

Tried shifting it along to the end of the bed (tailstock end) but was fouling on a couple of bits that I then removed. Tried again and the centre of the pinion reaches the end of the rack when the carriage fouls the casting at the end of the bed that holds the feed rod and lead screw. No joy with that one :fighting:

Had another go at removing the small section of rack towards the headstock end and with a multitude of flat headed screwdrivers I manage to free the two pins off of the bed. This allowed the carriage to be wound out all the way to the front and lifted off.

I assembled most of the loose bits back on the carriage and left it for tonight. Only really the main body, tray and legs on it now so at least some of the top heavy weight is gone for round two of trying to get it off the trailer tomorrow.

Oh an just to add a little excitement it’s to be the wrong side of zero in the morning with sleet/rain. Let the fun continue :rolleyes:

• 42D12043-106E-4A84-810F-7B93A6E36321.jpeg
    barking mat, Seadog, MattF and 5 others like this.
  15. spencer 427 Member

Nice. At least you got it off.... happy days

KaneH likes this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You need one of the 12V diesel heaters we're all getting :whistle: :D

dobbslc, MattF and KaneH like this.
  17. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    Some more success this morning :thumbup:

On a make shift dolly so I can move it around until I figure out it’s final resting place.

• 569CCFE7-1E90-429D-8A81-6324F264FDD4.jpeg
    eLuSiVeMiTe and MattF like this.
  18. spencer 427 Member

Any more progress on this build......

19. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    Unfortunately not Spencer. An unexpected house move has called halt on progress for the time being. Bonus is that I’ll be moving to a larger double garage as opposed to a single that I’ve got now :clapping:

Will post once I’m up and running in the new place :thumbup:

20. spencer 427 Member

Good stuff mate.

Advertisements