Kate the XK8

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

... Nice body but bad breath

After my last Jag adventure and having sold both the Sandrail and the SAAB I have been on the look out for a new project (not counting the electric buggy or the 63ft steel boat of course :whistle: )

I get the opportunity to buy a rather nice '97 Jag XK8 at a good price as it needs a bit of a tidy up. Only worry was it is not really that broken, just a bit unused and with a dent. The seller (that I know and trust) kindly took it for an MOT which we were both expecting it to breeze through based on it's last one (a while back), a general inspection and good service history.

Nope. Fails on welding, sticky calipers, and a bearing - all mundane stuff, BUT much more excitingly it also had a major emissions fail - the MOT garage said they thought it needed 2 new cats :o.

A revised agreement was reached and I get it next week via trailer, ferry and transporter, the welding having been done by the very professional seller.
    Meanwhile I am happily warming up the oscilloscope and diag tools for another venture into broken Jag land :laughing:

zx9, Parm, tom2207 and 8 others like this.
  2. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

:doh:
    More time than sence?:D

Morrisman, Wightsparks and stuvy like this.
  3. mr haynes Member

Masochism?

Probably just needs a new set of plugs...8 of them! :o

stuvy and Melvyn Best like this.
  4. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Italian Tune-up?
    If it has one of those whiny whirlygigs attached though beware!
    A while back I was tasked with getting No 2's Daimler SuperV8 back on the road. Did a full service, pad and disc change and was taking it for its MoT. Went via a local bypass to ensure it was warmed up but was held back by the 'limp home' mode. That limited it to a mere 3000rpm. Any idea what 3000 rpm is on one of those? Well past 'within ACPO limits' officer.

As it turned out I'd forgotten to attach the airflow sensor when changing the air filter. It passed.[/QUOTE]

zx9, Parm, mr haynes and 4 others like this.
  5. keithski122 Member

uk
    Be prepared for the headliner to drop.

stuvy likes this.
  6. Wightsparks

Nope, no whiny whirlygig, Did think about it but a suitably broken one (XKR) did not come up at the right time.

Roof liner has usually gone by now, it's got a lot of expensive history so I will be taking a look to see it ot has been done.

Hope not, they are Iridium ones made from sintered unicorn poo and £60 for a set!

Having studied the emissions sheets and heard how it drives I have my own theory about the issue. I'll put it out for discussion and educated guessing on Monday - the day before I get the car!

mr haynes, stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. CompoSimmonite Member

Keep the welder handy - there will probably be more rot than that which failed MOT which isn't testable

stuvy and jerrytug like this.
  8. Wightsparks

Right so these are the V8's emissions, the seller's garage said it needs two new cats and I bought it with that possibility in mind.
    I will not have the car until Tuesday so don't have the fuel trims or further info. I am assured by the seller that it runs smoothly - and I have no reason to doubt him.

I love a good car puzzle so I have written up what I think the problem is and why but it will be interesting to see what others think for some diagnostic entertainment - if you like that sort of thing.:laughing:

emission at purchase .png

9. owas

owas Member

Timing chain tensioners done?

10. Wightsparks

Yes I believe so.

11. minimutly Member

Hmmm, is that a single fuel rail, or two, or no fuel rail just a reg in the tank? Looks like an issue with one side anyway, dumping fuel in?

12. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

Could be failed/failing O2 sensors causing the engine management to dump in too much fuel, not good long term for the cats.

13. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

...did you say rust? That's been a running battle on mine since I bought it, pretty much one big welding job every year since 2014.

stuvy, owas and CompoSimmonite like this.
  14. Wightsparks

Pics of underneath show a bit of surface rust and dire need for waxoyl/dinitrol, also that at least one of the footwell plates has been done.

15. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

Have you had a chance to look behind the upright on the front subframe? It's a 3 or 4 layer rust sandwich there, ludicrous design.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/if-you-cant-face-sight-rust-look-away-now-214913/

Floor pans and transmission tunnel

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/more-repairs-to-the-xk8.96361/#post-1446223

Rear chassis rail.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/xk8-rear-chassis-rail-rust.57607/#post-698572

Seat belt mounting points

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/seat-belt-anchor-repair-166392/

Rear wings

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/rear-wing-repair-79511/

There is much more, the rust just goes on, and on and on.........

Hope you have got a good one.

16. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

That is extraordinarily bad for something that can't be more than 24 years old. Previous owner lived on Lindisfarne and couldn't read a tide table?

More seriously did it live right on the sea front, or do they all do that sir?

(waits to be told you live on the Esplanade somewhere)

17. Wightsparks

Thanks @RaceDiagnostics , think I have read most of those - really helpful for knowing how it's put together- I am thinking that your environment does have an impact though, fortunately I am waaaay down south. :waving:

Sure I'll get to rust later (arches and a dent for a start!) - in the meantime... emissions - anyone else taking a stab at it ?

18. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

It was only 10 years old when I bought it, with 10 jag service stamps, a 2002 car, spent it's life in Edinburgh. Looks great but truly crap quality.

19. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

Your right, it's the road salt that kills them.

20. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

start with the obvious air filters plus piping/ducting

Advertisements