Erwin the X-type

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Having finished the Shogun head and decided not to break it but not liking it enough to keep, I was casually looking at an 06 2.0 Diesel X-Type Jag estate in our local classifieds.
    I swung by the indy dealer where it was advertised to discover it had been pulled from sale as it developed a very nasty misfire from idle.
    Their code reader (apparently) helpfully said "misfire" so their local mechanic swapped out an injector (how much!?) using the traditional method of loosening the pipes off and finding no difference, but the problem stayed. Now reluctant to drop any more ££'s on it they were going to weigh it in.
    Temptation struck and I paid the dealer 15% of the sticker price. They stored it for a week until I made some space on the drive - and explained to the wife how come we now have 5 cars :whistle:

I love a good problem and I am thinking 3 things,
    a) The dealer or the PO drained/used almost all the fuel and it has gone into deliberate "about to run out of fuel" misfire mode (it sounds sooo bad that no way would you miss it!)
    b) as it came from a small Island, the EGR + Intake will be nasty.
    c) split or loose EGR/Turbo/intercooler pipe
    Of course d) could be that there is something very seriously wrong with it's bottom end and then it's scrapyard time.

Of course I won't know if it's alive or dead until I open the bonnet, so I am going to call it Erwin..:vsad:

galooph, stuvy, Parm and 3 others like this.
  2. mr haynes Member

Does it actually have sills left?

3. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    As above, check the entire sills very, very carefully. I pretty much ended up cutting the entire outer, centre, inner and floorpan out on ours, both sides - I had to weld a brace in the doors to stop it bowing. I've looked at dozens of the things since 'cause my brother fancied one and I've not seen a single one without rotten sills yet - usually with a patch slapped on the under side and half an inch of underseal by the MOT garage....

There is, however, if I remember rightly, a pipe under the intake that often splits and causes similar issues on the diesels (don't quote me on that, we got the proper V6 one ;) )

4. Wightsparks

Bottom hose on the intercooler apparently is a favourite.

Thanks for the heads up I'll take a look at the sills - no observation of corrosion on any MOT's though, recent pads and tyres are good too. YT56XDX

5. minimutly Member

That's because they're hidden by covers - it will be a rare one if it's not rotten. Should have bought a Rover 75/MG

6. CompoSimmonite Member

One elderly neighbour has a 3.0 4x4 X type from brand new. They have a new Freelander as everyday vehicle so the X Type is just for fine days / toy. It's an early model / 52 reg, always garaged and has only done just over 20,000 genuine miles. It needed both inner and out sills a couple of years ago !
    Another neighbour has had two diesels. The first was a 2.0 and nothing but trouble, The second was the later 08 model 2.2 and whilst mechnically a little better it needed welding to rear suspension mounts.

7. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

The X Type is basically a Mondeo Mk3 and there is plenty of information on the Ford forums especially ST Drivers of injectors failing. Easy enough to change but need to be coded into the ECU which can be done with F Ford software, free to download.
    I had the misfire on my first Mondeo but it was shortly after I bought it used and rejected it getting another Mondeo but this time estate and the 2.2 engine. It was the most reliable car I’ve had and regret selling it to get the Octavia VRS, which was the least reliable

The split intercooler hose doesn’t give the misfire but sluggish acceleration and black smoke. The usual pipe that fails is the one that goes from the intercooler up to the EGR valve.

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

X type is sometimes called a Mondeo in a sharp suit. Same floorplan so I'd assume any weaknesses in the tinwork would be common.

9. 123hotchef Member

keep the shogun mate or you may regret it

10. arther dailey Member

too late chef he s sold it...

123hotchef likes this.
  11. Chillitt Member

Got to be worth a go if its that cheap. worst case weigh it in, best case very cheap Mondeo in a posh frock.

12. RWD3M Member

Hi Wightsparks,

Have you not posted this before? Or perhaps I've seen a similar thread elsewhere.

Anyway, I have an X Type 2.2d (amongst others), had it since new and it's done in excess of 240,000 miles with very little trouble and no hint of corrosion. I believe from about 2006 the corrosion problems were largely sorted. They are great cars in my opinion. I do however frequent a Jaguar forum that I would recommend to you.

It's here: https://www.jaguarforum.com/forum.php

Good luck

Richard

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    ronan likes this.
  13. RWD3M Member

Coincidently I had a ZT immediately prior to the X Type.

Both great cars.

14. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Nope, the outer sills and part of the inners is Jaguar, that's where the problem lies - they shaped them and made them closer to the centres than on the Mondeo, and water from the scuttle drains down through them - with the gap being so small a little silt and they block, hold the water against both panels and rot spreads from inside out through the sills front to back.
    By the time it's visible on the outside it's usually horrific inside.

The Mondeo doesn't have that issue.

15. Wightsparks

Thanks Richard, - Yep that's where you have seen it before - I posted in the x-type bit - I noticed that you recommended this forum to someone asking about welding up their sills! Nice friendly forum that.

@Craig-SM thanks for the heads up on the software crossover. I was looking at a proper code reader/ re-setter or possibly a mongoose cable to a laptop - they say the mechanic coded the injector but I am not convinced. Quite like the look of the icarsoft CR V2.0 as you can install up to 5 (or 10 depending on which ad you read!) car brands full software.

First issue is that when it rolled off the truck it started with a jump pack, but stopped when they tried to move it up my drive, then would not start again as the jump pack was flat. Later I tested the battery - 3.5v :o oddly the battery was only a couple of years old at the most - but it has only done 2k since its last MOT in November so maybe it sat in a field for 6 months. According to The Jaguar Forum ^ failing batteries cause all sorts of issues.

Going to open the box and see if the cat is dead or alive later...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. minimutly Member

Shame about the sill rot - I may well have been looking for one otherwise.

17. Ruffian Member

Leak off test the injectors would be a good starting point,

18. Wightsparks

Going to do a,c and b first I think. a) would be amusing if that was the issue.

Have to say when they were trying to get it up the (steep) drive it stopped rather alarmingly - I am hoping that was due to the lack of battery juice and not as nasty as it sounded!

19. Wightsparks

Put a fresh spare battery in today, all the ignition comes on normally and it cranks just fine but no start. No logged codes after cranking (cheap ELM and Torque - connects ok but "no stored codes" reads some other stuff - though could not get a fuel pressure reading). CEL is on of course. Checked all the obvious fuses in the engine bay and the inertia switch. I added 7 L of fuel to it just in case of a). Cracked off an injector nut and getting fuel with crank, gauge reads 1/4, no immobiliser warnings.

Due to it's parking being abandoned it is now very awkward to get to and can only open the passenger door, no engine running to get codes is going to be interesting, will have a crawl round and look for fallen off hoses. ..

20. Wightsparks

Oh and I found an envelope with 1 injector in and then a box with 4 in. If I can get them tested for a reasonable price and they are ok that's paid for the car.:laughing:

Chillitt and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements