k series mini

1. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

did some work saturday, woo
    got a hand and managed to get a bit done and figure out a few problems that i was putting off

spot of filling and sanding
    [​IMG]
    getting there

but then started a bit of poking and mada a scary big hole :sad:
    [​IMG]

so a spot of plasma, fireman richie, and the rot was gone! welded a new bit in and got rid of the vent at the same time :biggrin:
    [​IMG]
    going to get a new closing panel and scuttle corner from the panel shop, couldnt be arsed making them

then atention was turned to the steering column
    [​IMG]
    turned down the mini shaft to fit the 214 switches
    [​IMG]

one of the problems with the metro switches was they were quite far away from the wheel, so took some stretched fingers to reach them. not the case here!
    [​IMG]
    the pull function for the flash and the wash/wipe cylce hit the back of the wheel, think i have a deep dish type wheel stashed somwere though

then richie made this little bracket all by himself, with only minor burns :whistle:
    [​IMG]

also fixed the bottom door hinge that had been knackered for years, the original one was being a ****** so hacked one from the remains of the rustyest clubman in the world. little bit of wd40 was free and easy :eh: 1984 hinge = fail, 1976 = win :D

[​IMG]

and started on a new drive shaft sleeve
    [​IMG]

but didnt have a large enough drill to open out the hole for the boring bar :(

2. chrisg3103

well no mini action today but plenty of decking going on :ashamed:
    got offered a long bed colchester student 1800 from a factory closing at the end of the month so guy wants it gone yesterday, hence a very good price :whistle:

so mini can wait need a backup trailer or the lathe is literaly going in a skip :o
    when i went to see it a group of tool makers were chucking perfectly good presses into the skip :mad: and if i had got there a few days earlier i could of had a milling machine :mad::mad:

few recycled batons bolted to the frame
    [​IMG]

lots and lots of lovley decking :laughing: just need a patio set now
    [​IMG]

one thing that came out of todays shenanigans, tek screws are amazing! straight through the timber and steel, saved hours of drilling

and some scaffold planks/ramps ;)
    [​IMG]

maby get some mini work done next week :ashamed: but at least i now have a mini/ donor car, machinery transportation device. even if im not qualified to tow it :mad:

3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

" how the hell do you paint a mini roof without geting cripling cramps trying to stretch over it and hold a gun full of paint :lol: " I usually have some crates and a plank handy for these occasions ;) When are you starting on the pickup ? I remember years ago I scrapped a mini van because it was in the way :C

4. chrisg3103

the pickups one of those long long term projects of my mate, ie it hasnt been touched for about a year ;)
    so long as the roof hasnt gone every single panel can still be bought for vans and pickups! shame on you :laughing:

today i did some mini work
    although i got as far as making one adapter for the master cylinder then had to go help collect some spare parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

copied the plastic end of the original master cylinder reservoir and made it in alloy with a tail for hose to a remote reservoir

fits lovley in the rubber seal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

only concern is the hole isnt as large as the original but should be plenty of flow

and some spare parts :whistle:
    [​IMG]

5. chrisg3103

spot of mini work today, all lathes are rescued and safe

lots of sanding and filling basicly with a spot of scuttle repair
    tacked
    [​IMG]
    flapped
    [​IMG]
    and filled
    [​IMG]

also a lovley new genuine closing plate, what a difference genuine makes! it actually fitted without having to beat it into shape :D 4 week today till its going down santa pod, watch this space....

6. Deemo New Member

Leeds
    Great Mini! You going to keep it relatively standard looking from the outside? Stealthy... :cool:

Making me want to go K-series now. Just with I had lathe.
    Keep it up, all coming together now.

7. some nice work going down there mate, i am currently building a D16A9 powered mini that i am turbocharging. Building the subframe myself etc. Pretty much what you have there but more powerful. Some good ideas i am going to look into doing with mine too, especially the pedals! love them.

8. chrisg3103

hang fire till i find out if it actually works :laughing:

just been filling and sanding so not much point of posting pics of diffrent layers of filler, but it will be on the road by or during the first week in august. WILL be painted by the end of the weekend and then start to rebuild

going with the philosophy of get it running and pretty it up later :whistle: just need to stay clear of ebay and adtrader to avoid distractions :( you registered on the 16vminiclub forum?

9. davenport Member

england, cambs
    some top work sir.... nice to see a "proper" mini being saved and revamped...

10. i am on the 16v mini club but i dont really post on there because there is that much hostility if you are not buying a ready made subframe kit etc. i thought i would just build it all then post up a build thread with full dimensions etc of the subframe, just to rub everyone up the wrong way who things its wrong to help people who want to try their own things.

But some good stuff you have done there mate, keep us posted.

If you want my email address pm me, could share some useful info.

11. chrisg3103

didnt realise the forum seems that way to new people, way i see it people prefere if you build a new and different frame. new idea and new ways of thinking, not just another bog standard watsons kit. anyway, i digress :whistle:

bit of an update
    [​IMG]
    primed the bulkhead, looks not too bad in the pic but its rougher than a badgers rectum :laughing: just want a mini that goes

waved a wire brush at the frame, touched up a few welds and threw some hammerite at it. not wasting my por-15 on it
    [​IMG]

just need to get some colour on the bulkhead and start rebuilding, thinking of brush paintint but need to do the winscreen surround too so looks like im spraying :( hate spraying

12. Gerry Member

Scotland
    Excellent job so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. Well done.

13. chrisg3103

well i made a deadline :D

[​IMG]
    rough but its now weatherproof

and the corner repair
    [​IMG]

not too bad, could of done with a bit more preperation of the primer and so on :laughing:

painted the mini before the other side of the subframe so had to flee the deadly fumes (contained in my spraybooth with scrubbed exhaust mr SEPA man honest :whistle:) and leave painting subframes till tomorrow.
    still got holes to cut for cable glands and heater pipes but now its painted i can get the subframe on and built, need it on so i know were holes are to go!
    then the fun fun times of wiring :(

14. Nathan

Nathan Tea anyone?

Loughborough
    nice color :D

15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I love the sound deadlines make as they whoosh by. That's nice and shiny anyway, what more do you want from paint and I like the colour. We used to have a Jaguar racing green Mini with an Old English white roof, very subtle. What size wheels are you going for ? I like 10" but the brakes are a bit expensive for disks and drums are a bit feeble.

16. chrisg3103

i quite like BRG, especialy on nice old machines and so on. would rather have a tahiti blue mini but ive had it green that long its become its thing :laughing:

can go 10'' for not much money, use mk2 fiesta calipers and turn down the disks. but then there is the issue of gearing, have cracking acceleration but red line at about 80 in 5th gear :laughing: already does about 4000 @70 on 12"

17. chrisg3103

yesterday was taken up by some very dodgie lifting so today i got back to the mini. not the best of days

took a good while to chain drill and file out holes for cable glands on the bottom of the bulkhead box.
    [​IMG]
    very annoying and time consuming, 16mm drill would have been nice!
    then proceded to cut and file the hole for the throttle cable, and gouged a huge line out of the paint :ashamed:

then started to fanny about as had lost all interest :laughing: picked at the loom but didnt have the loom tape, tryed to sort out a grommet and gave up in favour of trying to find a 25mm cable gland
    poked at the carcas of the rover and got the old heater pipe grommet, then found a couple of bits of brass tube to act as a bulkhead fitting for the heater pipes.
    then proceded to set fire to the car while plasma cutting the hole :laughing:
    so gave up and went home :(
    [​IMG]

18. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

You can get tank cutters in 16mm if that helps - M16 glands as well.

19. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

If you can get to both sides of the panel a pull through punch like this will do the job.

20. chrisg3103

would of been handy indeed! thought it was m16 glands hence the 16mm hole ;) but remebered it was m20. bought the m16 for the brake pipe but balls'd up the location and had to use an m20 for both, it just wound down small enough to seal the pipe

just ordered an m32 gland for the main loom, be using a hole cutter for that ******! and a couple of nice brass m20 glands for the remote reservoir hoses. keep the leaky exhaust manifold from gassing me and hoping it might even be quieter.
    got the m16 for the remaining brake pipe locations. off to look up cutters ->

Advertisements