Honda stepwagon rusty sills HELP

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Doing a great job...I suspect that rear arch will be paper thin steel and a bit difficult to weld. After repair you might want to wax the inside of the arches too (thats what I did on my MR2). Are your inner arches OK....usually if there has been water in the arch it seems to run down the entire seam and rot out the bottoms of the arches on the inside...worth giving them a good prod with a screw driver to make sure they are OK.

Those sills do look great :clapping:

C4irney likes this.
  2. C4irney

C4irney Member

The passenger sill is pretty much finished, wasn't anywhere near as hard because I didn't have to make the cut so high up on the wagon so only had 1 gentle curve to worry about. Also tackled the rust bubbles round the arch on the passenger side. Still need to sort the rust bubbles on the drivers side today, grind it all down then it's ready for the bodyshop.

I'm going to wax oil the inside with dynax s50 but was a bit concerned about getting full coverage but it came in the post yesterday, it has a 60cm hose attachment with a fancy 360 degree head so it's just a case of popping it in the sill as far as it can go from either side and slowly pull it out whilst spraying. Quite an ingenious design.

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  3. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Hi

Only just caught up with this thread ...

I saw and considered the step-wagon you bought off ebay ... But ironically we both looked at it from different ends of the spectrum .... The engine fault scared me off but the welding didn't , it appealed to me as it was funky .... Was cheap as chips if remember right .

Nice to see someone is tackling both excellently !

Keeping an eye on it now

Malc

4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    very nice job and an ambitious one for a beginner...but you are doing very well!

keep at it!

Im still welding sills on my truck....wish I had your speed!

JP

5. choco

choco Member

ireland
    If you are getting pin holes when you grind the welds back, try turning the welder up, looks like some of the welds are sitting on top. What engine is in it ??

6. C4irney

C4irney Member

Sorry for the massive delay guys, progress had slowed down a bit as general life was getting in the way. The quote to fill and spray it was frightening so decided to tackle it myself. I skimmed over all the joins lightly with fibreglass filler to provide some water resistance from behind the welds then bodyfiller on top. Wanted to spray it with a proper spray gun but just don't have the space in my garage so just used colour matched rattle cans. Wish I had a bit more patience with the filler but couldn't justify spending anymore time on it. All in all I'm really happy with how it turned out, still to give it a polish but it came up great with just a wash.

Originally I fitted my old factory s2000 alloys and it looked great but rubbed on the rear trailing arm so couldn't use them, also had a set of civic type R alloys lying around so tried them and they were fine. Dropped the van off for mot today but they said they won't get a chance to look at it until tomorrow so fingers crossed she sails through

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  7. C4irney

C4irney Member

More pics

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Well done for seeing it through...been there with the paint myself. In the end I went the same way...there are some really good paint match suppliers online who can supply quality paints. I prefer to have an old car look a little old myself...stops people taking too much interest if you ask me + with the rattle can it'll be simple to repair any scratches etc.

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

10. C4irney

C4irney Member

Wagon sailed through mot, well 1 advisory for a tyre being close to the limit but it's the only useable wheels I had lying around. Just racked up about 100 miles in her and she drives spot on, mega happy. The plan now is to use it as a practical daily then next year taking it to France in March then doing the 'north coast 500' in May. I love it, it's as practical as it is funky!! Just like to thank everyone for the help throughout this, was a massive help

11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Yaaah!!!! Always good to get the ticket in your hand! :thumbup:

12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    big congrats on a job very well done!

JP

13. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Can't see anything wrong with that

Nice job all round