Honda stepwagon rusty sills HELP

1. C4irney

C4irney Member

Hi guys, my first post here but been a long time lurker. I've just recently bought a jap import Honda stepwagon, 8 seater but all folds flat into a bed. I'm a massive Honda fan so had s2000, integras, civics etc and I usually turbo them but fancied a different project this time round. Still got the last civic I turbo'd, just in the corner of the first pic, she's 450hp so moves well. Anyway.....

This stepwagon came up for sale but it was 400miles away, no mot and an intermittent cutting out problem. Knowing Honda engines inside out, the cutting out problem didn't bother me. I had the car recovered to my house and upon delivery noticed the sills were in a state!! No mention of this on the ad and the pictures he uploaded strategically avoided showing them. I've ended up getting a partial refund so the wagon was a bargain however it's gonna take some work to get this rust sorted.

I've just this minute cut some of it out, it looks like the full sill will need replaced, only about 12" of the sill I can't put my finger through. The inner sills look perfect. I have a welder and limited welding skills but have been reading up this site and watching various YouTube vids. I'm very mechanically minded and have done everything to cars in the past.........except weld bodywork. Do you guys reckon this is fixable for an amateur welder looking for a project or am I in over my head?? I reckon I can do it however the more I'm cutting out I'm thinking how the hell am I going to fabricate these shapes from scratch. Any help is massively appreciated, just stopped for a quick coffee to build up my confidence again lol.

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Welcome to the forum and yes once you have practiced on some thicker steel to get the feel of welding, distance/angle/wire speed etc then practiced again on thin metal you will be able to weld, especially if you are a hands on type of car enthusiast, that's probably how the majority of us started.

Is buying replacement sills not an option instead of fabricating them?

Keep the project updated though, we like to follow a restoration.

BarrieJ likes this.
  3. C4irney

C4irney Member

Thanks for the input, I had thought about replacement sills but it's a 1998 stepwagon, quite difficult to get just normal parts for it never mind sills. deep down I feel it is fixable, just don't know if it's out of my league. I guess the only way I get better at things is by just cracking on and doing them.

4. I'm getting on a bit Member

Those Inners look good

Hardest part making the cills, you sound a hands on guy so with practice welding beforehand you'll be fine

5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

In the past I have made sills with a curve profile similar to that by making wooden trough thing (u shape), laying the steel along it with a scaffold pole ( I think it was) on top and gently working away with a hammer knocking it down, it took ages but actually turned out very well.

After you have the curve profile then two lengths of angle to bend over any edges that require it.

There is always a way, just have to put the grey matter to work and think outside of the box at times.

6. C4irney

C4irney Member

That's a good shout using a scaffold pole for the curves. Also as the whole sill needs replaced I planned doing it in sections but to be honest I'd rather chop the sill out in one go, will removing the complete outer sill cause the body/roof to come down a bit?? If so I'll just stick to my idea of doing it in sections

7. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Sorry I can't answer that one with complete accuracy so won't, when I was replacing sills the cars had a chassis, the sills of modern car construction may have more effect, although thinking about it the Mini's didn't have a chassis and I have chopped a few of them out and they never collapsed into a V shaped lump :whistle:.

There are much more experienced folk on here than me re car body repairing, they will probably be along to offer their advice.

8. C4irney

C4irney Member

Thanks for the input anyway, I think I'll just stick to the original plan or doing it in sections to play it safe, don't wanna mess up the door shuts. It's been a while since I last welded and just realised I'm outta gas . Went to my local welding shop and they won't have any in until tomorrow, got some zinc coated 0.8mm sheet steel in the post aswell. I'll keep the post updated with how I get on

9. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    does it not share the same or near enough profile from any other cars in that range that might be avail here

10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If you are using .8 sheet you could get away with putting the bottom flange on, weld or clamp it on then bend it round by hand and tack the top. I did some on a Fiat 127 years ago by doing that and with a bit of grinding and filling they looked like standard when they were on.

11. C4irney

C4irney Member

It's loosely based on the Honda CR-V, same engine/gearbox and also likes of the wing mirrors. Comparing their bodies the sills and quarter panels are different, with the CR-V being a 5 door.

I see what you mean about fixing it at the bottom then forcing the bend but right where I need to butt weld to the existing bodywork it originally had a sharp bend/crease along the panel. I'm assuming it's there to give the panel some strength

12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    If you can get replacement sills then do so,replace the whole sill not just the rotten bits,save yourself a lot of time and headaches
    Plus those inners although dont look to bad,flap disc it clean,shiny clean,good spray of a can of weld through primer

13. C4irney

C4irney Member

Here where I'm at just now, can't really crack on much further until some parts arrive. The panel has had a bodge before, I'm assuming this bodge has somehow trapped water and caused this. The wagon hasn't been on the road since early 2014 so I imagine with it sitting idle any water within the sills hasn't had a chance to slosh out. The rest of the bodywork is immaculate, although it needs a good wash. It only has 91k miles on it and although it's 19 years old, only 10 of them has been in the UK.

Any ideas what's happened to the inside of the panel?? I cut a section out and the backside is covered in loads of little dots, goes pretty much the full length of the panel?? Are these from the previous repair??

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, fella :waving:

I'm no welder, well I can melt metal :whistle: - but if I were in your shoes I'd stop cutting away any more of the cill - the bit that remains might be enough to allow you to copy enough of it the replicate the profile. Or you could try your luck with a profile gauge like so: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...zNnVAhUsLsAKHfm9BhgQ_AUICigB&biw=1440&bih=794 Random Google search there, other suppliers/prices are available. :D

I have one but never really had much success with it, although some on here have used them to good effect - points to operator error methinks....:ashamed:

I'm sure other REAL welders will come bye later to advise further.

15. C4irney

C4irney Member

Cheers for the input mate, I had thought about shaping my new steel around what's left to get a rough idea of the shape. Never even thought of a profile gauge, my bro is a joiner so I know he's got some. I'll try my luck shaping it around what's left and if I make an a**e of it, I'll try the profile gauge

Thanks for all the input guys, I was full of doubt about this repair, I stopped for a coffee and thought I'd stick it up here to see what experienced people have to say about it and now it seems do-able......a big job........but do-able.

monky harris likes this.
  16. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Those dots and the general waviness of the panel point to the use of a Rothenburger or similar which spot welds pins on to facilitate the use of a slide hammer to pull out a dent.

Colin

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Have you tried looking for a sill off another vehicle with a similar profile that you could use?

Rusty and slim_boy_fat like this.
  18. daedalusminos Member

I agree with Colin ref dent pulling, it's probably had an impact on that side, worst of it pulled out and then skimmed with filler.

Do you have any sheet metal fabrication companies nearby? They may be able to roll or fold an outer sill for you.

19. CompoSimmonite Member

I'd make a template of the sill profile and then wander around carparks, car / van sales looking (without touching) if any vehicle has sills of similar profile. If none look suitable then why not get a sheep steel fabrication company to fold a couple of length of metal to the right profile ?

monky harris likes this.
  20. C4irney

C4irney Member

Ahh that makes sense about the dots!!

I'm new to repairing bodywork so assumed sills would be very model specific, or is it a case of getting something as close as possible and making it fit?

Advertisements