Harrison M250 Restoration

1. Carl Wilson Member

Nice!

2. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Started cutting the foam insert this afternoon. I always find foam inserts strangely satisfying, looking forward to getting it all set out..

IMG_2966.jpg

3. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I have a *large* drawer labelled "Brute Force and Ignorance", just above "Tools for that Brown Stuff that Splits"

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Carl Wilson Member

Collet drawer looking really good. Looking at the lathe in the first few posts it is safe to say you've worked wonders.

5. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Thanks I think I’m nearly there with it, I’m on control panel v4.0 now and think I’m nearly ready to have one printed once that’s done I’m calling it done.

I’m keeping an eye out for fixed and travelling steadies but that will be a long endeavour I think!

6. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

You could just make them, you have a lathe after all.

R-D-R and Hopefuldave like this.
  7. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Think I've got my 11 year old daughter hooked on Foam insert cutting she must have a bit of my OCD inside her, she did this for me today not bad at all....

IMG_3047.jpg

spencer 427, MattF, brewdexta and 7 others like this.
  8. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Must also add some of the round over routing on the draw fronts whilst would normally not have passed RDR quality control are staying as it was my daughters first go with a router. Besides, it makes it match the round over profiles of the Harrison which didn't exactly leave the factory perfect either LOL

Hopefuldave likes this.
  9. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    So many parents spend a fortune trying to entertain their kids yet often just getting them helping with stuff you were doing anyway is far more rewarding. They learn some skills, you get to interact with each other on a much better level one to one. We seem to have a society who think kids are no good to anybody until they've been to university for some pointless degree.

It's amazing how useful they can be given the chance.

10. Pete.

Pete. Member

That's true my house has seven fireplaces and all the chimneys are kept clean :D

MattF, Woody.v8, indy4x and 7 others like this.
  11. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Much lint under your weaving frames?

MattF likes this.
  12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

How does the new style mitutoyo mic compare to the old one?

13. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Functionality wise I haven't noticed any difference but I would say the inset buttons are more fiddly and the additional plastic covering make it feel less solid in the hand.

14. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

@R-D-R nice work, the paint choice you made seems spot on, I wish I'd read your thread before I started my M350 rebuild. The beige on mine looks more like salad cream colour!

15. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Suspect I’m having motor issues (see other thread) so I started working through mechanicals to check for anything obvious that could be causing it to suddenly bog down on cuts. This turned into a bit of a service and also an opportunity to get to the bottom of a few niggles.

first issue was simple the carriage gearbox was slowly dripping oil. Soon sorted when i actually looked a screw wasn’t nipped up!

next try and find out the true extent of backlash as tightening the bearing screw was not helping. I stripped the DRO off and removed the top slide and then the saddle.

cleaned it all up and started to play with the screw I couldn’t feel any slop at all. I rebuilt it and could still get about 1mm of free play when pushing and pulling the slide. Then I notice the wheel handle moving as well and realised the whole screw assemble was moving, it wasn’t backlash on the thread. Troubleshooting led me to the wheels screw I nipped it up and it all came tight couldn’t believe it!

0640CB08-0E2B-4784-A528-5AD493354A2E.jpeg

Next was why I was stripping the saddle, I wanted to make sure the ways were ok generally but more importantly rebuild the cam adjusters that set the play in the saddle retainers that pull it down under the bed ways. I don’t know why but one has always seemed very low no matter what and I wanted to get to bottom of it thinking if there was some strange saddle geometry issue being generated.

Figured out the issue on that and reset them all equal ready to sit the saddle back on. As an aside I cleaned up the ways and noticed what looks like scraping marks, I think someone has had a play before with this lathe, grateful if anyone can give there opinion on these marks?

35442CE9-4EB6-42F7-86A2-E177A0B80B7E.jpeg

Rebuilt it all on the lathe and adjusted the saddle retainers to eliminate saddle rock. Rebuilt the DRO and then set the Gibs. All runs really smooth and importantly no play/backlash on the saddle :-)

tested it and still got the issues with the motor bogging down. I wasn’t holding hope on this area being the cause. Glad it’s better tuned now and I can move onto other areas.

spencer 427, Dieselkid 63 and fizzy like this.
  16. Carl Wilson Member

I had an issue similar to that and after all was said and done, it was the belt tension. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for that excellent post and view of the saddle. I'm going to have to check mine now!

R-D-R likes this.
  17. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Hi Carl you mean loss of power?

I nipped the belt up I dare not go any tighter.

saddle lifts off with no drama just undo the hex bolts and remove any DRO assembly.

18. Carl Wilson Member

Thanks for that mate. Can you point me to your motor thread please? Thanks.

19. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Advertisements